Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1114 1115 [1116] 1117 1118 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704187 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16725 on: January 05, 2016, 08:06:05 pm »

Judging by how things tend to work in the game, I'd hazard a guess that getting 5x more efficient takes 25x longer.
Nah, it's a skill/quantity scale. Higher training level means ships with non-conscript crews start partially trained, but also means that academies produce fewer crew per cycle. Usually 3 is a happy medium; your ships get a bump in efficiency without fleet training, and with a decent number of academies you still have plenty of crew. The actual training time remains the same; I suppose you could fluff it as greater care and resources being afforded to each individual.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16726 on: January 05, 2016, 08:11:06 pm »

It's probably more of a kicking-out policy.  I imagine you get fewer officers because less people manage to graduate.  There's always people coming for training, but it takes more effort to find the ones who are worthy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16727 on: January 05, 2016, 08:12:42 pm »

IIRC the training level only affects crew, not officers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16728 on: January 05, 2016, 08:33:10 pm »

Found a new bug!

If you create empire with new species on a Comet with Gravity of 0.004, you get a species with ideal gravity of 0 and tolerance min and max of 0.  With all the "multiply by zero" fun that you can imagine, such as researching the 10% increase in gravity to...wait for it...zero.

Oh, and I get error messages as well.  Fun times!

It would appear that I have created a species that can never colonize planets without either Underground Infrastructure or Orbital Habitats.

Well, this was also my test game for a non-TN start.  Since they started with 1500 population, I guess I might as well see if they can research and create life sustaining facilities before going extinct...

ALSO, possibly related but more likely just untested:

Bug or Feature: Missile Silos on a non-TN start, when the starting empire is on an uninhabitable planets (such as with the zero gravity bug above) do NOT provide life support, leading to the crew dying.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16729 on: January 05, 2016, 10:12:52 pm »

I had a missile silo on earth have a life support blowout due to a mineral shortage (it couldnt maintain itself or something), then the crew were struggling to survive on inadequate crew quarters until I finally ordered them to evacuate the facility.

They have been a little weird for a while now, I don't personally recommend turning them on.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16730 on: January 05, 2016, 10:14:30 pm »

It actually tells you in the designer whether you could build another of your designs from a shipyard tooled for this design.
Oh hey, that's quite cool. Hadn't noticed it without looking for it. Shipyards tooled for my first frigate design can apparently also build the shit troop transport I forgot to obsolete and uses some long-outdated civilian engines. What.
Its probably just barely within the refit cost requirements or something. I made my Geo and Grav survey ships interchangable so I just refit them and build both from the same shipyard
Indeed.  A great trick I use with this is to design an intermediate class between the two that has both geo and grav sensors, because the refit cost to remove one or the other is lower than the combined cost of both removing one type and adding the other, then designate that intermediate ship class with the shipyard.  That way, I can keep the absolute ship sizes/costs down as well as building both types from the same shipyard.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16731 on: January 06, 2016, 01:00:56 am »

Missile silos are still bugged? Damn
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16732 on: January 06, 2016, 03:50:48 am »

Well he keeps a list of who he gives it to, so he knows if you got it from him or not
Well, yea... but he won't know they got it in the first place if they don't mention it at all.  :P
true. Unless he looks at your save and sees obvious editing
That is still a waste of time though... and obviously something he shouldn't be bothering to spend time/effort finding out that it ain't a bug after all. 
Recreated umpteen times as everyone and their mother shares the password to outside forums as it gains exposure.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16733 on: January 06, 2016, 05:13:16 am »

Who uses them anyway? They just clutter your ship screen for no benefits apart from retaining some more officers.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16734 on: January 06, 2016, 06:18:15 am »

I used to RP the silos as being converted in Earth's first crude, rushed attempt at space defense, and made missiles to fit, and made sensor bases for NORAD and People's Central Air Defense Headquarters in Omsk, etc.  But yeah then they always just sat there year after year after year cluttering up various screens, so I built fewer and fewer and then just stopped doing it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16735 on: January 06, 2016, 06:20:25 am »

Who uses them anyway? They just clutter your ship screen for no benefits apart from retaining some more officers.

Only reason I had them was because I forgot to unclick the missile silo option.

For anyone curious, my Zero Gravity civilization went from 1500 souls to 1.4 after researching TN Tech then Underground Installations.  Probably should have skipped TN Tech if I wasn't going to bother building research labs, but I didn't want to interrupt due to decreasing population being unable to build.  Oh well, this bugged race is dead.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16736 on: January 06, 2016, 11:59:23 am »

You CAN edit the race post creation on the race detail screen.

I know I do when I'm running a scenario of a race that I'm starting on a world they didn't originate from.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16737 on: January 06, 2016, 01:41:14 pm »

For anyone wanting a visual guide on designing a basic fleet

http://imgur.com/a/yxqmw

I'm following it and understand it a lot better than the other guide I linked to about designing ships. Might be helpful for others.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16738 on: January 06, 2016, 04:06:47 pm »

I'm just curious how you managed to create a race on a comet to begin with, since I thought they had to have at least some O2 or NH4 in the atmosphere to allow for a race creation.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16739 on: January 06, 2016, 04:20:51 pm »

I'm just curious how you managed to create a race on a comet to begin with, since I thought they had to have at least some O2 or NH4 in the atmosphere to allow for a race creation.

I used SM mode to put a Carbon Dioxide - Oxygen atmosphere on the comet.
Pages: 1 ... 1114 1115 [1116] 1117 1118 ... 1346