Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2702012 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16755 on: January 06, 2016, 09:34:29 pm »

Ma-aaaan, I'm really hankering to start a new campaign, but I don't want to get into one and then have the juicy new version come out. :x

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16756 on: January 06, 2016, 09:52:19 pm »

I'm just curious how you managed to create a race on a comet to begin with, since I thought they had to have at least some O2 or NH4 in the atmosphere to allow for a race creation.

I used SM mode to put a Carbon Dioxide - Oxygen atmosphere on the comet.

Trying this out on my fun game. (I did figure out custom empires, so I have one going where I started on a desert planet). But wanted to also try this comet thing. I did that, and it was a breathable environment and perfect to live on, but as soon as I did a 5 day turn all 50 million of my people died on the comet lol. The comets always say no gravity though, did you keep doing new comets do get one with gravity or what did you do?

yeah dunno what he did, but I put carbon dioxide and oxygen and it says unsuitable planet (comet) and all my people die right away. Wonder why. I even tried copying earth stats, and my people still auto die on comets.

(edit: Made it successfully. Had to give myself A LOT more population, I was giving myself 25-50 million that died right away. Gave my comet species 3500 million to start with, and built a ton of habitats. Gonna be an interesting game lol.)

(edit again: And nope, even 3 billion people died right away, and I can't seem to build habitats at all or build anything because no one is working)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:15:25 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16757 on: January 07, 2016, 12:24:18 am »

Doesn't look like its actually possible to live on a comet, so no idea how that guy did it lol.

I used SM mode to put habitats and infrastructure on the comet, and they still don't support population at all.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16758 on: January 07, 2016, 12:50:38 am »

How exactly do medals work? I want to make a few for the fun/rp of it, but I'm not quite sure what this "Promotion Value" box is for and what I should set it to.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16759 on: January 07, 2016, 01:15:21 am »

I'm just curious how you managed to create a race on a comet to begin with, since I thought they had to have at least some O2 or NH4 in the atmosphere to allow for a race creation.

Trying this out on my fun game. (I did figure out custom empires, so I have one going where I started on a desert planet). But wanted to also try this comet thing. I did that, and it was a breathable environment and perfect to live on, but as soon as I did a 5 day turn all 50 million of my people died on the comet lol. The comets always say no gravity though, did you keep doing new comets do get one with gravity or what did you do?

yeah dunno what he did, but I put carbon dioxide and oxygen and it says unsuitable planet (comet) and all my people die right away. Wonder why. I even tried copying earth stats, and my people still auto die on comets.

(edit: Made it successfully. Had to give myself A LOT more population, I was giving myself 25-50 million that died right away. Gave my comet species 3500 million to start with, and built a ton of habitats. Gonna be an interesting game lol.)

(edit again: And nope, even 3 billion people died right away, and I can't seem to build habitats at all or build anything because no one is working)

Actually the atmosphere is useless for survivability due to the gravity issue.  But you can SM Underground Installations to house your population.  However, you can't use the comet as a home world without a breathable atmosphere, hence needing to put one on.

Do yourself a favor, and instead of selecting the bugged (in this case at least) New Species, just select an existing one, such as Human (although I'm partial to picking "Invader", because why not?).

Appendium: Experimenting with an Asteroid large enough to generate an Species capable of surviving gravitational forces (ranged 0.00 to 0.06 gravity), they still can't survive on their home Asteroid and all Asteroids are coded as Low Gravity.

Conclusion: Asteroids and Comets are Hardcoded to not be able to accommodate colonists without Underground Infrastructure or Orbital Habitats.  But you can still start an Empire on both.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16760 on: January 07, 2016, 01:18:44 am »

Actually the atmosphere is useless for survivability due to the gravity issue.  But you can SM Underground Installations to house your population.  However, you can't use the comet as a home world without a breathable atmosphere, hence needing to put one on.

Do yourself a favor, and instead of selecting the bugged (in this case at least) New Species, just select an existing one, such as Human (although I'm partial to picking "Invader", because why not?).

Appendium: Experimenting with an Asteroid large enough to generate an Species capable of surviving gravitational forces (ranged 0.00 to 0.06 gravity), they still can't survive on their home Asteroid and all Asteroids are coded as Low Gravity.

Conclusion: Asteroids and Comets are Hardcoded to not be able to accommodate colonists without Underground Infrastructure or Orbital Habitats.  But you can still start an Empire on both.

Does the comet need to be a certain size? I tried a 190 one, and even underground infastructure wasn't supporting my population. I used SM to put underground infastructure on it. Is that too small?

(edit: Wait, I'll have to test it. But it looks like a low gravity comet supports infastructure. I had to keep getting new comets to generate, but there is a 0.007 gravity one that supports population and its an actual comet. The ones I was trying had no gravity at all.

(and last edit

Yup, a 0.007 low gravity ranked comet supports an unlimited population. I DID do a custom race, and its preferred gravity is actually 0.01 so not fully 0

So looks like after many hitting that button to regenerate comets, you can get one that you can live on without infastructure
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:30:13 am by Vendayn »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16761 on: January 07, 2016, 01:22:58 am »

How exactly do medals work? I want to make a few for the fun/rp of it, but I'm not quite sure what this "Promotion Value" box is for and what I should set it to.
Promotion value is what the game uses to figure out which officers to promote to higher ranks first. Without medals it's calculated from the officers stats. The medal's PV you can either leave at 0 if you don't care too much, otherwise up to 100ish is fine normally (or higher if you want medals to have a large impact on who gets promoted).

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16762 on: January 07, 2016, 01:28:20 am »

What constitutes a good missile? What should I be focusing on when building missiles or their launchers and how exactly does the launcher affect the missile or vice versa. I want to make some rocket fighters but I don't have much of a grasp on missiles.

EDIT: And what does a good, small fighter sized laser + laser fire control look like?

SECOND EDIT: How do I use spare ship components in fighter production? I scrapped a whole bunch of fighters because I had accidentally added a second fire control thing to it. Plus, I was updating the engine a tad. Now I've got all these fighter ship components laying around, like lasers and twice the fire control things (again, due to my little misclick). They still go in the fixed fighter (minus the engine of course) but when I just go to create more fighters it doesn't automatically use them.

Sorry for all the separate question posts! I'm getting confused along the way lol.

How do I know if a jump point survey location actually has a jump point there?

And do certain NPRs display some level of morality? For example, killing off survivors in escape/life pods, nuking a planet's population, outright denying diplomacy from anyone or even murdering diplomats? (Which makes me wonder, what happens if you make first contact with an alien race and try to send diplomats? Can they even kill diplomats?)

I don't mean to be annoying, but I would really like to have these answered before I roll up on any NPRs (or they roll up on me, which is more likely.) :S
Whenever I try to lookup something to Aurora, google mostly either gives me something that doesn't help me or something completely unrelated.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:35:58 pm by coleslaw35 »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16763 on: January 07, 2016, 01:42:53 am »

rofl, the comet I generated (after many generation attempts) actually really doesn't need infastructure at all. Its 0.007 low gravity, and supports a massive population. At least with my custom race. Its small in diameter (I'll imagine its a comet cluster though with comets of various sizes like the picture shows), but somehow supports a huge population...must be so crowded and dense of population even if its a cluster of them.

After hours of getting a comet empire started, I got one that ended up being fully able to support all life. Somehow. Even from the farthest reaches of space and when it goes right toward the sun, my race enjoys all the views and excitement of space on a comet.

My race also likes 0.001 gravity, which means I don't get any errors either. No errors, nothing weird.

I'll probably do a sorta let's play of my comet empire lol. It'll be probably imgur based.

lianopbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16764 on: January 07, 2016, 09:15:21 am »

New player here, I have  a few questions

are the audio options working ? I would love a beep sound when the turns are done computing because they are so slooooow to finish
compact database working ? it just crash the game for me

I have learned the expansion/economy side of the game, now I am trying the combat side and it's been very complex.

what's the point of turrets ?  I don't get it when to use them.
how to exploit long range lasers when the beam fire controls have much lower range ?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16765 on: January 07, 2016, 09:54:46 am »

Audio: I've never messed with it but I believe it works.

Compact database: I know this used to work when I last used it a couple of years ago, but it's possible it has become broken since then. One thing with it, ensure that you have a game saved in the database before trying to compact it, you will corrupt it if you do not.

Lasers will have much, much longer listed maximum ranges than your beam firecontrols can supply. This is intentional. Steve made a deliberate design decision to not track packets of beam weapon fire from one increment to the next. Your beam firecontrol, when the range tech has been fully researched, caps out at the distance light can travel in a 5 second increment.

However, longer range lasers still benefit you. This is due to the fact that lasers, like many other beam weapons, suffer damage falloff with range. So a longer ranged laser means that when you hit the limit imposed by the firecontrol less of the maximum damage has been lost.

To understand turrets you first need to understand tracking speed. Tracking speed is used to determine the chance to hit a moving target, in particular, if the target is moving faster than your tracking speed you suffer a penalty to hit. There are actually two types, the tracking speed of your beam firecontrol, and the tracking speed of your weapon. The one of these that is lowest is used when determining your chance to hit.

Your firecontrol tracking speed is simply your base tracking speed determined by your level of research multiplied by the modifier you used when designing the firecontrol.

Your weapon tracking speed is the highest of the speed of the ship it is mounted on or the base tracking speed. Where turrets come in is that, you can design them to have a specific tracking speed which replaces the speed of the ship when determining the weapon tracking speed above. This however comes at a certain cost in additional size compared to an unturreted weapon, based upon the turret tracking speed techline.

The primary time you will want to use turrets is when you are attempting to engage targets that are much faster than your ship such as fighters or higher tech NPR's or for point defence against missiles.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16766 on: January 07, 2016, 09:59:10 am »

Steve mentioned in an AAR post that he's planning on changing asteroids such that ones which are large enough to have a meaningful gravitational field will be fully colonizable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16767 on: January 07, 2016, 10:03:54 am »

how to exploit long range lasers when the beam fire controls have much lower range ?
No turret: Turn/tracking speed of fire control = max speed of the ship
20k t/t speed of fire control  vs 5k max speed of ship = actual turn/tracking speed of 5k

Turret: Turn/tracking speed of fire control = max turn/tracking speed of turret
20k t/t speed of fire control  vs 5k max speed of ship vs 15k t/t speed of turret = actual t/t speed of 15k

Long range lasers: Get longer range fire controls and/or accept the fact that at its longest range, you can't hit jack

Bah, took too long to type this.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #16768 on: January 07, 2016, 10:44:28 am »

No turret: Turn/tracking speed of fire control = max speed of the ship
20k t/t speed of fire control  vs 5k max speed of ship = actual turn/tracking speed of 5k

Turret: Turn/tracking speed of fire control = max turn/tracking speed of turret
20k t/t speed of fire control  vs 5k max speed of ship vs 15k t/t speed of turret = actual t/t speed of 15k

Long range lasers: Get longer range fire controls and/or accept the fact that at its longest range, you can't hit jack

Bah, took too long to type this.
It is also worth noting, that increasing the speed of either tracking controls or the weapon tracking (by any of the means mentioned) costs resources, and your slowest tracking of the two will be what your effective tracking speed is restricted to, so as long as it doesn't cost too much research, try looking into making your sensor tracking speed match your weapon tracking speed, if just for efficiency.

lianopbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16769 on: January 07, 2016, 11:14:39 am »

ah yes, I did not realized weapons inherited the max speed of the ship as tracking speed  :D

I am going to test it out, make a beam equipped ship and send it to suicide ERR... I mean send it collect important scientific data
Pages: 1 ... 1116 1117 [1118] 1119 1120 ... 1346