Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1117 1118 [1119] 1120 1121 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2703757 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16770 on: January 07, 2016, 11:59:19 am »

Well, you do get feedback on all the stats, but I guess there is nothing like actual live fire.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:04:40 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16771 on: January 07, 2016, 12:04:52 pm »

I'm just curious how you managed to create a race on a comet to begin with, since I thought they had to have at least some O2 or NH4 in the atmosphere to allow for a race creation.

I used SM mode to put a Carbon Dioxide - Oxygen atmosphere on the comet.

Trying this out on my fun game. (I did figure out custom empires, so I have one going where I started on a desert planet). But wanted to also try this comet thing. I did that, and it was a breathable environment and perfect to live on, but as soon as I did a 5 day turn all 50 million of my people died on the comet lol. The comets always say no gravity though, did you keep doing new comets do get one with gravity or what did you do?

yeah dunno what he did, but I put carbon dioxide and oxygen and it says unsuitable planet (comet) and all my people die right away. Wonder why. I even tried copying earth stats, and my people still auto die on comets.

(edit: Made it successfully. Had to give myself A LOT more population, I was giving myself 25-50 million that died right away. Gave my comet species 3500 million to start with, and built a ton of habitats. Gonna be an interesting game lol.)

(edit again: And nope, even 3 billion people died right away, and I can't seem to build habitats at all or build anything because no one is working)

Actually the atmosphere is useless for survivability due to the gravity issue.  But you can SM Underground Installations to house your population.  However, you can't use the comet as a home world without a breathable atmosphere, hence needing to put one on.

Do yourself a favor, and instead of selecting the bugged (in this case at least) New Species, just select an existing one, such as Human (although I'm partial to picking "Invader", because why not?).

Appendium: Experimenting with an Asteroid large enough to generate an Species capable of surviving gravitational forces (ranged 0.00 to 0.06 gravity), they still can't survive on their home Asteroid and all Asteroids are coded as Low Gravity.

Conclusion: Asteroids and Comets are Hardcoded to not be able to accommodate colonists without Underground Infrastructure or Orbital Habitats.  But you can still start an Empire on both.

Does the comet need to be a certain size? I tried a 190 one, and even underground infastructure wasn't supporting my population. I used SM to put underground infastructure on it. Is that too small?

(edit: Wait, I'll have to test it. But it looks like a low gravity comet supports infastructure. I had to keep getting new comets to generate, but there is a 0.007 gravity one that supports population and its an actual comet. The ones I was trying had no gravity at all.

(and last edit

Yup, a 0.007 low gravity ranked comet supports an unlimited population. I DID do a custom race, and its preferred gravity is actually 0.01 so not fully 0

So looks like after many hitting that button to regenerate comets, you can get one that you can live on without infastructure

Awesome, so I guess it is only Asteroids that are hard coded as low gravity.  Have fun with your Métal Hurlant Chronicles playthrough.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16772 on: January 07, 2016, 12:22:34 pm »

what's the point of turrets ?  I don't get it when to use them.
how to exploit long range lasers when the beam fire controls have much lower range ?
No turret: Turn/tracking speed of fire control = max speed of the ship
20k t/t speed of fire control  vs 5k max speed of ship = actual turn/tracking speed of 5k

Turret: Turn/tracking speed of fire control = max turn/tracking speed of turret
20k t/t speed of fire control  vs 5k max speed of ship vs 15k t/t speed of turret = actual t/t speed of 15k

Long range lasers: Get longer range fire controls and/or accept the fact that at its longest range, you can't hit jack

Bah, took too long to type this.

IIRC, hull mounted weapons have a tracking speed of the greater of their ship's speed or your base fire control tracking speed. This means that you can do things like mount a spinal laser on a weapons platform.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #16773 on: January 07, 2016, 12:31:02 pm »

what's the point of turrets ?  I don't get it when to use them.
how to exploit long range lasers when the beam fire controls have much lower range ?
No turret: Turn/tracking speed of fire control = max speed of the ship
20k t/t speed of fire control  vs 5k max speed of ship = actual turn/tracking speed of 5k

Turret: Turn/tracking speed of fire control = max turn/tracking speed of turret
20k t/t speed of fire control  vs 5k max speed of ship vs 15k t/t speed of turret = actual t/t speed of 15k

Long range lasers: Get longer range fire controls and/or accept the fact that at its longest range, you can't hit jack

Bah, took too long to type this.

IIRC, hull mounted weapons have a tracking speed of the greater of their ship's speed or your base fire control tracking speed. This means that you can do things like mount a spinal laser on a weapons platform.
I thought it was Base Turret Tracking Speed, for ship mounted weapons? It's a separate research line from tracking controls, that also affects the speed-hullspace ratio of a full blown turret.

Also, I gotta say, this has to accurately represent my first attempts at trying to directly engage with an NPC empire:

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16774 on: January 07, 2016, 01:23:00 pm »

I'm guessing you're the guy trying to rob the place.   :P

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16775 on: January 07, 2016, 01:29:37 pm »

Youknow, I have yet to find out if Gauss weapons need magazines in the base/ship they are mounted on. Do they?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16776 on: January 07, 2016, 01:45:00 pm »

Magazines are only for missiles.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16777 on: January 07, 2016, 02:04:54 pm »

So I found something interesting.

The AI has an easier time of surviving on comets. I put an AI on one of the comets and he thrived, but if I as the player started on it, I would lose right away.

However, the comet I did start on supports A LOT of life. Its starting to give me messages about lack of space (it is a comet cluster), but I need no infrastructure of any kind to live on this comet. All I had to do was make a breathable atmosphere, a comet that already supports infrastructure (which means it can support life) and a custom race that ended up having 0.001 gravity preference. The other guy who found out about comets, had an exact 0 gravity preference. This I found caused too many errors, and a 0.001 makes no errors at all. I also found an exact 0 gravity planet, with not a hint of gravity, prevented any life on the comet. Even if there was underground infrastructure, my people died right away.

But, the AI seems to be able to "cheat" it by not dying at all on a comet no matter what and building ships and stuff, but I might or someone else can probably test that better. But there are two or three aliens besides myself that are all on comets, being flung around the solar system. And in the SM info window, there isn't even breathable atmospheres on them, let alone anything else that can suggest how they live on it. Could be infrastructure, but even then, if I tried living on that comet my species would automatically die after 5 days.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16778 on: January 07, 2016, 02:36:22 pm »

What constitutes a good missile? What should I be focusing on when building missiles or their launchers and how exactly does the launcher affect the missile or vice versa. I want to make some rocket fighters but I don't have much of a grasp on missiles.

EDIT: And what does a good, small fighter sized laser + laser fire control look like?

SECOND EDIT: How do I use spare ship components in fighter production? I scrapped a whole bunch of fighters because I had accidentally added a second fire control thing to it. Plus, I was updating the engine a tad. Now I've got all these fighter ship components laying around, like lasers and twice the fire control things (again, due to my little misclick). They still go in the fixed fighter (minus the engine of course) but when I just go to create more fighters it doesn't automatically use them.

Sorry for all the separate question posts! I'm getting confused along the way lol.

How do I know if a jump point survey location actually has a jump point there?

And do certain NPRs display some level of morality? For example, killing off survivors in escape/life pods, nuking a planet's population, outright denying diplomacy from anyone or even murdering diplomats? (Which makes me wonder, what happens if you make first contact with an alien race and try to send diplomats? Can they even kill diplomats?)

I don't mean to be annoying, but I would really like to have these answered before I roll up on any NPRs (or they roll up on me, which is more likely.) :S
Whenever I try to lookup something to Aurora, google mostly either gives me something that doesn't help me or something completely unrelated.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16779 on: January 07, 2016, 02:56:33 pm »

No, also no JP survey point has a JP ON it.  You're guys are just studying the gravity of the star to see if there is a JP nearby, the survey points are the optimum points to do the survey.

No, they only really care if you go near them with any ships.  Especially with a active sensor.  You'll never see any NPRs team, you also don't need to send your diplo team to them.  They are the only team that doesn't need to be on site.

NPRs actions will be based (slightly) on their racial stats, as will your races advances in some ways.  Higher xenophobia means slower/lower chance to make contact and increased chance of negative actions during the attempt.  Militant means they are more willing to fight/build more ships.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16780 on: January 07, 2016, 03:04:08 pm »

What constitutes a good missile? What should I be focusing on when building missiles or their launchers and how exactly does the launcher affect the missile or vice versa. I want to make some rocket fighters but I don't have much of a grasp on missiles.

EDIT: And what does a good, small fighter sized laser + laser fire control look like?

SECOND EDIT: How do I use spare ship components in fighter production? I scrapped a whole bunch of fighters because I had accidentally added a second fire control thing to it. Plus, I was updating the engine a tad. Now I've got all these fighter ship components laying around, like lasers and twice the fire control things (again, due to my little misclick). They still go in the fixed fighter (minus the engine of course) but when I just go to create more fighters it doesn't automatically use them.

Sorry for all the separate question posts! I'm getting confused along the way lol.

How do I know if a jump point survey location actually has a jump point there?

And do certain NPRs display some level of morality? For example, killing off survivors in escape/life pods, nuking a planet's population, outright denying diplomacy from anyone or even murdering diplomats? (Which makes me wonder, what happens if you make first contact with an alien race and try to send diplomats? Can they even kill diplomats?)

I don't mean to be annoying, but I would really like to have these answered before I roll up on any NPRs (or they roll up on me, which is more likely.) :S
Whenever I try to lookup something to Aurora, google mostly either gives me something that doesn't help me or something completely unrelated.
Vendayn linked this earlier: http://imgur.com/a/yxqmw Its pretty decent as a starter on ship design

Missiles: Fiddle with numbers... .001  (Though, technically, you could spend time trying to fine tune it even further then that....)
Missiles vs High Tech/Missiles: Focus on to-hit chance and at minimum 1 damage.
Missiles vs Low/Equal Tech: Make sure you can at least hit yourself somewhere between 70%-100% chance.
Missile Engine Tip: It costs more resources/Build Points to put in 5x size .1 Missile Engines then it does to put in 1x size .5 Missile Engine.  So consider that in the long run, you'll probably be making tons of missiles after-all.

Launcher Reload: Smaller = Longer reload time
Launcher Capacity: If your launcher can launch size 5 missiles, it can also launch any missiles smaller then 5. But, you should probably tailor Launchers to Missiles/Ship/Intent anyways.

Jump Survey: In the blue map mode, orange circles will be filled in.  In Task Group mode, if there is a jump point, it'll automatically show up there along with the planets/colonies.

NPR: Probably something to do with Racial Xenophobia and Militarism
Diplomats assigned to aliums can just stay in your capital, I've never seen em be murdered.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16781 on: January 07, 2016, 03:11:16 pm »

The AI has an easier time of surviving on comets. I put an AI on one of the comets and he thrived, but if I as the player started on it, I would lose right away.

However, the comet I did start on supports A LOT of life. Its starting to give me messages about lack of space (it is a comet cluster), but I need no infrastructure of any kind to live on this comet. All I had to do was make a breathable atmosphere, a comet that already supports infrastructure (which means it can support life) and a custom race that ended up having 0.001 gravity preference. The other guy who found out about comets, had an exact 0 gravity preference. This I found caused too many errors, and a 0.001 makes no errors at all. I also found an exact 0 gravity planet, with not a hint of gravity, prevented any life on the comet. Even if there was underground infrastructure, my people died right away.

But, the AI seems to be able to "cheat" it by not dying at all on a comet no matter what and building ships and stuff, but I might or someone else can probably test that better. But there are two or three aliens besides myself that are all on comets, being flung around the solar system. And in the SM info window, there isn't even breathable atmospheres on them, let alone anything else that can suggest how they live on it. Could be infrastructure, but even then, if I tried living on that comet my species would automatically die after 5 days.

What sort of lack of space message do you receive?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16782 on: January 07, 2016, 03:13:47 pm »

something about overcrowding, but it seems to come and go. I got that on my default Earth game too once Earth got to a certain population.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16783 on: January 07, 2016, 03:45:11 pm »

something about overcrowding, but it seems to come and go. I got that on my default Earth game too once Earth got to a certain population.

I recall vaguely Steve posting something about implementing an overcrowding feature on Colony Cost Zero worlds, but I forget the specifics.  I would really like to know how it occurs.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16784 on: January 07, 2016, 04:26:59 pm »

Found my first aliums in my new playthrough.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lets hope they dont jump to sol, because i dont have any military vessels yet ;_;

at least they used beam weapons and not missiles
Pages: 1 ... 1117 1118 [1119] 1120 1121 ... 1346