Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2702207 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #16785 on: January 07, 2016, 04:53:46 pm »

It may have been projectile weapons.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16786 on: January 07, 2016, 05:02:02 pm »

well it said meson

anyway they followed me back to sol and are shooting up my shipyards right now

i should probably have built some PDCs or whatever but this is the first time i actually found an alien that fights back >.<. some of them also move at 10kmps so i doubt it would have mattered much

twas a bad start anyway, hardly any minerals in sol

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16787 on: January 07, 2016, 05:06:40 pm »

Ah, that kind of alien. Yes they like to follow you through JPs. Which can be a good thing, if you can't build fast FACs. The big bad will probably destroy part of your fleet even if you can ambush it, but that might be better than the alternative.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16788 on: January 07, 2016, 05:09:48 pm »

Launcher Reload: Smaller = Longer reload time
Launcher Capacity: If your launcher can launch size 5 missiles, it can also launch any missiles smaller then 5. But, you should probably tailor Launchers to Missiles/Ship/Intent anyways.
You got the first bit backwards, smaller is shorter reload and obviously also takes less space on a ship. The capacity bit is accurate, but the reasoning behind not just using size 50 launchers for every purpose (other than that they're much larger) is that reload speed is based on the size of the launcher instead of the missile it fired, so if you fire a size 1 missile from a size 6 launcher it'll take the same amount of time as if you had fired a size 6 missile out of the same launcher.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16789 on: January 07, 2016, 05:26:13 pm »

Ah, I was referring to the research that lets you use smaller launchers... in exchange for reload speed.  And yea, suppose I wasn't too clear there, setting up working military ships takes a lot of steps with a lot of considerations...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #16790 on: January 07, 2016, 06:33:46 pm »

Launcher Capacity: If your launcher can launch size 5 missiles, it can also launch any missiles smaller then 5. But, you should probably tailor Launchers to Missiles/Ship/Intent anyways.
You got the first bit backwards, smaller is shorter reload and obviously also takes less space on a ship. The capacity bit is accurate, but the reasoning behind not just using size 50 launchers for every purpose (other than that they're much larger) is that reload speed is based on the size of the launcher instead of the missile it fired, so if you fire a size 1 missile from a size 6 launcher it'll take the same amount of time as if you had fired a size 6 missile out of the same launcher.
Wait, I thought launchers of any size could only fire one missile at a time? Unless you're talking about submunitions on multi-stage missiles?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16791 on: January 07, 2016, 10:28:37 pm »

How does one get more wealth?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16792 on: January 07, 2016, 10:55:14 pm »

More places with trade for the AI shipping companies to ship.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16793 on: January 07, 2016, 11:35:27 pm »

well it said meson

i should probably have built some PDCs or whatever but this is the first time i actually found an alien that fights back >.<. some of them also move at 10kmps so i doubt it would have mattered much

Use Fast OOB creation and Poof yourself a fleet.  Everyone knows you're allowed and suppose to SM yourself some starting tech, up to your starting tech points.
What most players don't know is that you're allowed to SM yourself a starting fleet, up to your starting Fast OOB points.

Ok, ok, I sometimes wait till I've researched a bit before Poofing a starting navy. 
I think you're suppose to use your entire Fast OOB at game start (or at most delayed only so you can research basic components you forgot to save tech points for).  But its the same sort of resource as starting tech, only most of the tutorial documentation doesn't discuss it, as far as I know.

Unrelated, I found the below both funny and semi-accurate:

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16794 on: January 07, 2016, 11:44:24 pm »

well it said meson

stuff

Unrelated, I found the below both funny and semi-accurate:

I saw that pic somewhere, maybe on reddit lol. That is pretty accurate. However, with all this new info and guides coming out on youtube/imgur, reddit and even this thread, its MUCH easier to learn.

I tried playing Aurora 2 years ago I think? maybe 3? one of the two. And there was the wiki, some dude with a ton of tutorial videos on youtube and not really much else to help. And I'll be honest, the guy who did those tutorial videos (he had over a 100 videos I think) kinda bored me so I never bothered to watch, nothing against him, I just didn't click with his style. And the wiki was/is not that helpful. And its outdated now supposedly. In any case, skip ahead some time, and there is so much help/guides and videos now, that I personally am understanding Aurora vastly more and a lot faster too than my previous (failed) attempts. Plus quill18 and that other guy who started videos are (to me) entertaining, and I watch quill18 already anyway lol.

Without all these new videos and what not, I'd probably still not bother trying Aurora again :P It is the one game that is so epic for space 4x, but such a HUGE learning curve that I personally really needed step by step kinda tutorials and guides and what not, but there wasn't much helpful ones when I played.

But yeah, 10 hours a day for a month still seems accurate lol. Maybe not so much now, but I've been playing a few days and still haven't really understood the missile design systems that well even with youtube videos on it, imgur guides and what not and posts about it explaining it. That is probably just one feature I gotta learn myself, to understand it a lot better.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16795 on: January 07, 2016, 11:54:22 pm »

Wait, I thought launchers of any size could only fire one missile at a time? Unless you're talking about submunitions on multi-stage missiles?
They can only fire one missile at a time, I'm not sure where I said otherwise.
Ah, I was referring to the research that lets you use smaller launchers... in exchange for reload speed.  And yea, suppose I wasn't too clear there, setting up working military ships takes a lot of steps with a lot of considerations...
Oh yeah, that exists. The wonders of multiple similarly-named things.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16796 on: January 08, 2016, 12:13:56 am »

What does it mean when there's a red square around a jump point?

EDIT: In the Task Group menu, I was going to send one of my cruiser squadrons to it and it had (JG) next to the jump point. Does that mean Jump Gate? If so, how boned am I?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:15:30 am by coleslaw35 »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16797 on: January 08, 2016, 12:15:28 am »

That there is a jump gate that wasn't built by you.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16798 on: January 08, 2016, 12:18:45 am »

What does it mean when there's a red square around a jump point?

EDIT: In the Task Group menu, I was going to send one of my cruiser squadrons to it and it had (JG) next to the jump point. Does that mean Jump Gate? If so, how boned am I?
You're somewhat boned depending on who your neighbours are.
Have you met your neighbours? You'll probably meet them soon.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16799 on: January 08, 2016, 12:22:56 am »

I haven't traveled to any system so far. I hope my neighbors are nice.  :-\
Can I use other NPRs jump gates? If so, how? And how exactly do jump gates even work?
Pages: 1 ... 1118 1119 [1120] 1121 1122 ... 1346