Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2703849 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #17970 on: March 17, 2016, 05:18:48 am »

Does anyone have any games where they are actively at war with some Ayyys? I have no such luck. Also how to activate precursor/star swarm?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17971 on: March 17, 2016, 06:00:31 am »

Is their a compiled list of the max values for things like armor and maintenance supplies?
Well there is a list of the points where the various things break, due to limits in the variables used to store data, in the end of everything thread on the Aurora forum.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17972 on: March 17, 2016, 01:15:58 pm »

Does anyone have any games where they are actively at war with some Ayyys? I have no such luck. Also how to activate precursor/star swarm?
Plenty. The typical solution is to set spawnrate to 100% and explore a bunch. Also set difficulty to >500% if you aren't a dirty coward.

As for the latter: Tick their boxes on in the pre-load menu. If they're already on, see: explore a bunch.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17973 on: March 17, 2016, 04:20:38 pm »

IIRC, you get a lot more NPRs if you don't use real stars.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17974 on: March 17, 2016, 05:05:16 pm »

Yep. Real Stars doesn't generate many habitable worlds, at least compared to the alternative. You also don't get to play with nebulae or black holes.

3. Run Resize Enable

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17975 on: March 17, 2016, 05:25:46 pm »

Should I put factories on my luna colony? Or just toss the minerals home and make everything there? Because what are the people gonna do on luna anyways?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17976 on: March 17, 2016, 05:34:21 pm »

Plenty. The typical solution is to set spawnrate to 100% and explore a bunch. Also set difficulty to >500% if you aren't a dirty coward.

As for the latter: Tick their boxes on in the pre-load menu. If they're already on, see: explore a bunch.
Swarms seem to spawn more often on system with asteroid belt, while precursor seem to spawn more often where they is planet with colony cost under 5.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17977 on: March 17, 2016, 05:47:02 pm »

Because what are the people gonna do on luna anyways?
Make (you) money.
Seriously that is the only use for most colonies besides minerals.

No reason to split industries in the same system when they all have to use local resources.  The micromanagement would be hell.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17978 on: March 17, 2016, 05:56:39 pm »

Population grow faster on colonies though, so it's a way to produce slightly more peons. And research labs can be shifted to the new workforce without too much micromanagement.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17979 on: March 17, 2016, 06:37:58 pm »

Yeah, with the location-dependent research bonuses there's definitely incentive to spread your labs around.

3. Run Resize Enable

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17980 on: March 17, 2016, 07:25:42 pm »

So... my Luna colony wants protection, but earth doesn't. Why not? It has so much more people.

Also, I understand that I need a pdc on luna, but what are your recommendations for how it is armed? I want missiles, so can you give me some tips about how to design good ones? Anti-missile missiles and anti-ship missiles.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17981 on: March 17, 2016, 08:15:16 pm »

Anti-missiles: 0.05 Fuel, only enough Warhead for one damage, the rest is about 3/4 Engine 1/4 Agility.

Anti-Ship: it really depends. Speed is king, aim for damage numbers that are squares if you can, Agility space should be between a fifth and a third of what you're giving engines, and the rest can be fuel. Try not to have too little to be useful. Design a side 0.1 MSP Engine to use to figure out how big of an engine you actually want for speed, then design a purpose-built engine for the task to get more range. Smaller missiles can be fired faster, with more at a time, due to launcher mechanics, but bigger missiles penetrate more layers of armor, and up until Size 12 or so, are more fuel efficient without actually getting slower. Armor can let you make defense busters,  sensors and submunitions can let you make mines, sensor buoys, and MIRVs, and try to keep an eye for how expensive they get. Other than that, it's mostly personal preference.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17982 on: March 17, 2016, 08:52:08 pm »

So... my Luna colony wants protection, but earth doesn't. Why not? It has so much more people.

Also, I understand that I need a pdc on luna, but what are your recommendations for how it is armed? I want missiles, so can you give me some tips about how to design good ones? Anti-missile missiles and anti-ship missiles.
Capital planets always count as fully protected, regardless of actual defenses. It's sort of a hack solution that Steve put in, otherwise you'd have to spend considerable amounts of resources just keeping your starting population from going apeshit early-game.

Also, defenses count system-wide, so a PDC on Earth will satisfy the Moonies' requests for protection, regardless of whether its defenses can actually protect Luna or not.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17983 on: March 17, 2016, 09:12:33 pm »

Oh yeah, on PDC design, if you go with Mesons as point defence,  they have some really good range for their research cost, and they can make sure no enemy ships get with bean range without serious consequences once your tech's decent.

Also they're the only beam weapons that can get through atmosphere.

As for missiles, PDCs get launchers that fire twice as quickly, so you can make use of that, plus a fire control for every set of missile launchers to overwhelm point defense through number of salvoes; if you have [Reload Rate in seconds/5] launchers per fire control, and assign one additional launcher to each fire control every five seconds, then every single missile will be it's own salvo, and you'll be firing continuously. More ships/PDCs/fire controls doing it at once, more effective it'll be.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17984 on: March 17, 2016, 09:50:12 pm »

So, is this a good AMM?

Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 19
Speed: 16300 km/s    Engine Endurance: 31 minutes   Range: 30.6m km
Cost Per Missile: 0.631
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 309.7%   3k km/s 95%   5k km/s 61.9%   10k km/s 31%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   0.381x Gallicite   Fuel x125

Development Cost for Project: 63RP

That chance to hit seems kinda low, but since these are only size one, I can just put a bunch of them, right?
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 1346