Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1229 1230 [1231] 1232 1233 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2702056 times)

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18450 on: February 24, 2017, 10:34:33 pm »

Just wondering, would there be any interest in an LP of Aurora?

United Forenia Forever!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18451 on: February 25, 2017, 01:03:19 am »

Sure, I suppose.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18452 on: February 25, 2017, 01:30:35 am »

Sure, I suppose.
Sensors have picked up point three of an interest. Should we investigate?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18453 on: February 25, 2017, 08:41:56 am »

Just wondering, would there be any interest in an LP of Aurora?

Always

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18454 on: February 25, 2017, 01:03:31 pm »

Alright, I'm thinking of doing a two-sides start within Sol LP, where I play one faction and the readers play another side, so we can get straight to the action without having to hunt for NPRs. No missiles rule, to reduce my micromanagement. I'm also thinking of putting in a house rule for espionage rather than using the in-game mechanics. Wealth doesn't give any bonuses if you're running a surplus, right? I could make up an 'intel budget', which both sides could devote a certain amount of wealth per annum to espionage against the other, thus creating an economic arms race of sorts.

Related: is there a way to create a player empire using SM mode, then later delete it completely? I'm using a third-party empire to set up the system first. And is there a way to SM-give an empire a certain number of RP toward a tech without giving them the tech entirely?

United Forenia Forever!

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #18455 on: February 25, 2017, 02:51:42 pm »

How does one with a 1366x768 screen play this? I tried using ResizeEnable and the Reduced Screen Size option but to no avail. I also tried using InfiniteScreen, but I couldn't get it to scroll through the whole Display menu in system maps.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18456 on: February 25, 2017, 03:36:41 pm »

How does one with a 1366x768 screen play this? I tried using ResizeEnable and the Reduced Screen Size option but to no avail. I also tried using InfiniteScreen, but I couldn't get it to scroll through the whole Display menu in system maps.
What was giving you trouble? I ran it for years in 1024x768 with [see sig]. Just a matter of getting the windows small enough without stretching or hiding anything important.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18457 on: February 26, 2017, 02:26:54 pm »

Alright, I'm thinking of doing a two-sides start within Sol LP, where I play one faction and the readers play another side, so we can get straight to the action without having to hunt for NPRs. No missiles rule, to reduce my micromanagement. I'm also thinking of putting in a house rule for espionage rather than using the in-game mechanics. Wealth doesn't give any bonuses if you're running a surplus, right? I could make up an 'intel budget', which both sides could devote a certain amount of wealth per annum to espionage against the other, thus creating an economic arms race of sorts.

Related: is there a way to create a player empire using SM mode, then later delete it completely? I'm using a third-party empire to set up the system first. And is there a way to SM-give an empire a certain number of RP toward a tech without giving them the tech entirely?

Wealth often doesn't run a surplus, and it can be used to buy output from civilian mines and fund shipping lines.

Once an empire is created, I think that entity is eternal, although all the structures, people, ships, etc can be deleted and that entity not chosen.  You also don't need another third-party empire to set up a system: SM mode starts you as the SM empire, where you can tweak the system to your liking.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #18458 on: February 26, 2017, 02:56:31 pm »

What was giving you trouble? I ran it for years in 1024x768 with [see sig]. Just a matter of getting the windows small enough without stretching or hiding anything important.
The problem is, whenever I resize the windows the text becomes unreadable.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18459 on: February 26, 2017, 03:12:44 pm »

The problem is, whenever I resize the windows the text becomes unreadable.
Ah, yeah, that does tend to happen a lot. There are sweet-spots where things will be moved around without being crushed or distorted, but they can be kinda hard to find. My suggestion would be to just do a very slow drag on each important window to find out where it'll be readable but also fits on the screen more-or-less. There are some windows where you might need to sacrifice some stuff on an edge for the sake of usability, but nothing important enough to stop you from playing. Once you have the important windows set up for a session, the easy way is to just never close them unless you absolutely have to, though you should still memorize the spots where they work well.

I'd post screenshots but I haven't been on that craptop for years. RE is a kinda hacky workaround, so it's not particularly clean in terms of the results you get, but it's far and away better than not playing or trying to simulate a multi-monitor setup. Would definitely recommend locking your taskbar to the right or left of your desktop as I say, though, that can save you an inch of vertical screen space and few/none of the windows are really limited horizontally.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18460 on: February 28, 2017, 02:38:45 am »

I've posted up my LP here. Once again, does anyone know if it's possible to use SM mode to give an empire a certain amount of RP toward a tech without giving them the whole tech?

United Forenia Forever!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18461 on: February 28, 2017, 07:24:35 am »

I don't think so. When you create an empire, you can assign a certain number of RP to them. The last RP you spend on a project will be contributed towards it without completing it if there aren't enough. However, I don't think there is any way to give an empire extra RP from spacemaster mode once it is created, so you can't give the empire small quantities to set multiple projects to different levels of completion.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18462 on: February 28, 2017, 08:07:40 am »

The only way to do it would be to get the password from Steve and directly edit the spent research points for the tech in the database. As I recall Steve was pretty good about giving out the password, as long as it only comes from him so he can track who had it, so as to make it easier for him for dealing with bug reports.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18463 on: March 13, 2017, 07:34:50 pm »

Is there any way to remove the full-screen background from when you start the game?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18464 on: March 13, 2017, 10:12:48 pm »

Don't use the portable launcher? :P

In seriousness, I have no idea since I actually don't use the portable launcher, but it seems you are not alone in your desire.  This comment buried in one of the two longer threads, apparently promises to launch without presenting the background.  It may well work for what you desire. 
Pages: 1 ... 1229 1230 [1231] 1232 1233 ... 1346