Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1235 1236 [1237] 1238 1239 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704962 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18540 on: June 17, 2017, 11:53:46 am »

How long have they been there? It takes a while.

Look at their "Maintenance Clocks". I believe they should exit overhaul when the maintenance clocks reach 0.

Other question:
Has anybody ever had the Portable version give an error and close the background? I had a "Fatal Error: Aurora Returned -1" and then the background music player/picture thing closed. Game's still running, apparently.

Also, anybody know what to do when you get repeated interrupts that, under SM menu, read "Sub-pulse length adjusted due to possible fleet intercept". Once a day, every day, for most of an in-game year and something like 2 hours of real time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:55:45 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18541 on: June 17, 2017, 12:04:14 pm »

Yeah ships are stuck in overhaul until it finishes.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18542 on: June 17, 2017, 12:05:34 pm »

Anybody got any information as to what to do about those ridiculous "Adjusted time interval: Possible fleet interception" errors?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18543 on: June 17, 2017, 12:07:37 pm »

Well, it can't be the Maintenance Clock thing. The clock is going *UP* while they're in Overhaul. Currently at 8.something, ticking up every month by a tiny amount.

They've been in Overhaul for two or so years now. I need my survey ships in action, dammit!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18544 on: June 17, 2017, 12:11:03 pm »

Order them scrapped?

Alternatively, delete the Task Group and use SpaceMaster/FastOOB to get yourself new survey ships.

Two years? How long could they be deployed for (Intended deployment time?)?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18545 on: June 17, 2017, 12:14:45 pm »

They had an intended time of 36 months (so, three years), but ran over and crew morale started going down the drain. I thought that overhaul was needed, but a short time after entering overhaul I was told that morale was back up to 100%. The ships are, of course, still stuck. This feels more like a glitch than anything else.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18546 on: June 17, 2017, 12:17:20 pm »

You're confusing morale and overhaul.

The crew get what's called "Shore leave". You go somewhere and stay there, the crew gets to do things you can't do on a ship. Namely, walk outside. Or see other, unfamiliar faces. This is a definite positive for ships' crews. It takes, as I understand it, LESS TIME for shore leave than overhauls do. Keep an eye on your overhaul. Make certain it's going up.

What size is your ship? How many tons?
Then, check your F2 "Summary" menu, look at the right side. What's the maximum capacity of your Maintenance Facilities?

A ship past its expiration date, i.e. beyond it's intended deployment time, is doing unhelpful things like breaking down in small ways. Irritating ways. The AC just stopped working and now all the rooms close to Engineering smell like grease, oil, and electrical fires, and they're hot enough to give Venus a run for it's money. An overhaul fixes that. Shore leave fixes crew morale.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:19:43 pm by Madman198237 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18547 on: June 17, 2017, 12:19:02 pm »

Yeah, IIRC they have to completely run down their maintenance clocks when you order overhauls. Could always SM-teleport them elsewhere, but I'm not sure what that might break. Remember that you have both crew and mechanical deployment times. Morale is recovered just by staying at a population center.

Madman, in terms of how I start my campaigns:

I'll ignore conventional, since those start with 50-150 years of turtling and up-teching for me.

Research: Spend my starting RP manually. Set my labs to priority research goals, mainly the next drive tech, industrial rate improvements, and better gauss + missiles.

Industry: Start queuing up industrial expansions as population allows. Automines > factories up to a round number (usually 500-1000) > labs > shipyard expansions. Everything else is secondary. Get one commercial yard large enough to build standard-hold freighters and their colony ship equivalents. Leapfrog another commercial yard past that to at least 100k tons for terraformers. Get one military yard into multiple slipways for disposable survey ships and FACs.

Exploration: Design and build small, cheap survey ships ASAP. One or two of each type without JDs to explore Sol. Once that's getting close to finished, make versions with JDs. Pop one JP at a time, using all jump-capable survey ships to explore it. If it's completely surveyed without contact, it's probably clear, but I don't assume until I can get either a hefty DSTS colony or a system-wide active sensor platform there. Proceed like this, exploring one system down each chain until all are totally surveyed or found to be inhabited. Split the survey ships into grav/geo pairs, one pair to each chain, start exploring a second jump down each chain. And so it goes. Isolate inhabited systems, build Sol-side JGs to allow down-chain travel, complete the flipside JGs once the system has been confirmed clear and colonized at/beyond.

Colonization: Once a system has been confirmed clear with sensors, drop a seed colony on any inhabitable world. Add infrastructure as needed, slap outdated ships in orbit to keep complaints down (or garrison battalions if none are available). Any useful mineral concentrations get some automines once Sol is being fully exploited. Back at Sol, terraformers should already be at work on the useful bodies, and if there are any gas giants with useful Sorium deposits the first harvesting bases should be rolling out.

Military: Cheap FACs with X/O rail missiles or the best available E/KW in sufficient quantities to quell unrest, build nothing more until threats are encountered. But keep teching and expanding shipyards. Once the first Precursors are encountered, estimate numbers and put together a small strike group of frigates capable of knocking them off with long-ranged missile fire, make sure you have a salvage group ready to follow up. Stay the fuck away from Swarm, Invaders, and NPRs for the time being.

Longer term, important goals are snowballing lab numbers: the better your industry and larger your population, the faster you can add more labs, which further increase both your industrial production and research production, making it easier to further add labs. This is your biggest advantage over NPRs, you can macro like crazy. Also, continual shipyard expansion whenever you can afford it. Having lots of slipways and large slipways plus high industrial production rates means that you can very easily design and build new ships for new threats. This is why I don't build much military early: if you're found you're probably fucked either way, and it draws time and resources away from booming your economy, where all-inning on your macro game gets you to the point where you can churn out effective military units sooner. If you have low resources in Sol early military is also largely a waste of minerals: most of it won't get used and will be wasted if it is.

Incidentally, that ability to tech and industry-boom is why I like to start with 500%+ difficulty NPRs (with 0% encounter chance for other NPRs and a lower ~10-20% encounter chance for me), so that they are building up at the same time and will present a larger challenge. I usually turn the difficulty higher after getting built up so that any new ones spawned by my exploration will at least have numerical superiority. Low-difficulty high-rate is dull because you have to xenocide them off half the inhabitable worlds but they're not actually dangerous at all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18548 on: June 17, 2017, 12:24:12 pm »

So, in terms of the starting screen, the NPR thing that says something like NPR:10///You:30 is percentage chance of encounters?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18549 on: June 17, 2017, 12:24:38 pm »

Fuck it, I'm deleting this game then. Have had terrible luck with minerals anyway, I'm not going to leave survey vessels locked into the shipyards for the next hundred years on top of it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18550 on: June 17, 2017, 12:25:38 pm »

Is it going down or not?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18551 on: June 17, 2017, 12:27:18 pm »

Yes, overhauling is to reduce "maintenance clock" and it takes some time. You can interrupt it with command "Stop overhaul" but cancelling it this will cause a penalty of 1 month of "cancelling maintenance overhaul". Note only military classed ships need such maintenance, commercial designs don't care about it.

Then, check your F2 "Summary" menu, look at the right side. What's the maximum capacity of your Maintenance Facilities?
Yes, currently Maintenance Facilities can maintenace properly any number of ships up to the amount listed at Production->Summary. In the next version the number of ships will actually be taken account so the facilities will be able serve some amount of total tonnage instead. But they will be 5 times more effective (1000t per one instead of current 200t) so it should not be too severe change.

If you are getting frustrated with some design errors feel free to set SpaceMaster mode on and change the designs (like putting more crew quarters to raise deployment time or adding forgotten fire controls).
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18552 on: June 17, 2017, 12:31:56 pm »

The clock for the overhauled ships is going *UP*, not down.

These ships are less than a thousand tons apiece, which is below my maintenance facility's maximum ship size (so that shouldn't be the problem). I can't even cancel the orders to overhaul because the proper buttons to do so are greyed out.

This run is bugged and I'm done with it. Starting over.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18553 on: June 17, 2017, 12:33:22 pm »

So, in terms of the starting screen, the NPR thing that says something like NPR:10///You:30 is percentage chance of encounters?
AFAIK it should mean: if you arrive to a new system, there is 30 % chance new NPW will get generated there. If some other NPR does so, they have only 10 % chance. Generally have the NPR part of this lower then your one, possible even 0 - that way exploring NPRs won't keep spawning more and more factions in some distant area.

Anybody got any information as to what to do about those ridiculous "Adjusted time interval: Possible fleet interception" errors?
Set Detection to "None without player presence" in the starting screen. These random radar insights and those hours long intervals of 5s increments are NPRs hitting one another in distant systems. If you set it to "None without player presence", they just can't see one another thus can't battle. This way they also don't clear some space horrors and leave them there for you to find untouched :D .

Fuck it, I'm deleting this game then. Have had terrible luck with minerals anyway, I'm not going to leave survey vessels locked into the shipyards for the next hundred years on top of it.
There is also possibility to completely turn off maintenance as a feature. It is also located in the stating settings screen.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18554 on: June 17, 2017, 12:44:01 pm »

Maybe wait?

Or swap them out of the TGs.

I'm going to have that issue myself. I forgot to set the "Intended Deployment Time" and so my newest class of gravsurvey ships is going to be relatively micromanage-y.
SM in more crew quarters. This will update all constructed ships.
If you feel you are above such methods do it the "proper way": just copy the design, update it, retool shipyard to it, send ships there and refit them to the new version.
(noted by jwoodward48df)
Pages: 1 ... 1235 1236 [1237] 1238 1239 ... 1346