Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2702508 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18585 on: June 19, 2017, 06:39:16 pm »

If I remember right, you need to have a ton of empty fuel tanks on the ship itself, and regularly transfer the fuel (the conditional order "when fuel=100% helps here) either to a colony or a tanker fleet.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18586 on: June 19, 2017, 06:49:07 pm »

I have it set so that "When fuel tanks are full: Unload fuel at colony and move to nearest gas giant with sorium".

They appear to not actually unload any fuel, and instead turn right back around and head back to gas giants, without actually depositing any fuel.

Should I refit them to have no engines and get tugboated around? At least then the conditional order might stick.

And how do I empty their fuel tanks manually? I've found only one option, and it's going to be a pain to use.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18587 on: June 19, 2017, 06:59:45 pm »

Move the TG the ship is in to a colony. Open the Individual Unit Details window (F6 or the picture of a Romulan Warbird) and select your harvester. Go to the Miscellaneous tab. You want the "transfer fuel to population" section, enter a number that is close to the amount the ship has (as seen in the maintenance section) and click the "transfer to" button.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18588 on: June 19, 2017, 07:01:18 pm »

I was afraid of that. Well, that's what I used. Ah well.

At least it takes over a year for the things to fill up.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18589 on: June 19, 2017, 07:22:30 pm »

Try flagging them as tankers in the design window. You should then be able use the order to dump 90% of the fuel to a colony.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18590 on: June 19, 2017, 07:42:59 pm »

Yeah, tag them as tankers.  It's the only way to use the auto dump fuel command.  Then set a colony on the gas giant they are harvesting from.  They'll just dump there.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18591 on: June 19, 2017, 07:43:08 pm »

Alright thanks, will try that. Seems I'm stuck with mostly manual management now, but like I said---that works. Especially as it's only 2050-something and I've not really done anything important yet.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18592 on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:46 pm »

Applying various tags can be done retroactively to designs.  Can make it so a class get's conscripts in the future, mark as obsolete to remove it from other lists, mark as tanker so it is made with only 10% of it's max fuel and fits into automated actions.  All after having made 10 before realizing you should have done it before.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18593 on: June 20, 2017, 01:22:33 am »

Applying various tags can be done retroactively to designs.
As much as you want. Even without using SpaceMaster rights.
When my early designs get stranded with low fuel I often end up temporarily setting scout classes or geosurvey ones as tanker so one ship the other and together they can get home without the need of separate tanker.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18594 on: June 20, 2017, 07:29:14 am »

So when I rushed a tanker into production after forgetting to set the conditional orders on a cargo group I could've just made one of my other ships a tanker?

Oops.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18595 on: June 20, 2017, 09:01:19 am »

So when I rushed a tanker into production after forgetting to set the conditional orders on a cargo group I could've just made one of my other ships a tanker?

Oops.
Yes. TGs with ships of tanker designation get tanker set of additional commands ("Refuel from own tankers"...).

If you have multiple ships in one spot you can also transfer fuel and supplies manually via tab "Miscellaneous" in F7 Individual Unit Details.
If you have multiple ships in a TG you can also make them "equalise fuel" and "equalise supplies" with buttons in the bottom of F12 Task Groups.

As those geosurvey ships often go to diferent directions I rather set them as tankers, refuel and remove the designation again. That way I don't have to either merge and split those TGs or do it manually.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #18596 on: June 20, 2017, 02:47:25 pm »

I like making jump capable tanker ships full of fuel and maintenance supplies with a military jump engine and enough engineering/crew quarters to stay out for years. They sit on the near side of JPs that need bridges and my smaller survey ships and military ships can come and go as they please and I can swap them out when they're low on fuel or need overhauls. Plus they spot anything trying to come through the jump point. I just build enough of them to man all the JPs im currently exploring through and haven't gated yet with a few extras to swap out between overhauls. This way my scout ships can stay out for years at a time and only ever come back occasionally for shore leave.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18597 on: June 20, 2017, 03:52:57 pm »

I like making jump capable tanker ships full of fuel and maintenance supplies with a military jump engine and enough engineering/crew quarters to stay out for years. They sit on the near side of JPs that need bridges and my smaller survey ships and military ships can come and go as they please and I can swap them out when they're low on fuel or need overhauls. Plus they spot anything trying to come through the jump point. I just build enough of them to man all the JPs im currently exploring through and haven't gated yet with a few extras to swap out between overhauls. This way my scout ships can stay out for years at a time and only ever come back occasionally for shore leave.
I have supply delivery in a separate design but am using these for tendering at not-yet-JGed JPs to allow both military and commercial traffic though not civilian one.
Code: [Select]
Gatekeeper class Mobile Jump Gate    45,000 tons     436 Crew     3024.4 BP      TCS 900  TH 1800  EM 0
4000 km/s    JR 3-50(C)     Armour 3-112     Shields 0-0     Sensors 11/11/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
MSP 11    Max Repair 286 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 169 months    Spare Berths 0   

Ward International J15000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 15000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
Charlton Foundation 400 EP Commercial Magneto-plasma Drive (9)    Power 400    Fuel Use 6.19%    Signature 200    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 3,000,000 Litres    Range 193.9 billion km   (560 days at full power)

Stanley-Coles Systems CIWS-200 (6x6)    Range 1000 km     TS: 20000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Pugh-Green Thermal Sensor TH1-11 (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  11m km
Pugh-Green EM Detection Sensor EM1-11 (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  11m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
Using commercial engine and not putting maintenance supplies storage here makes it commercial vessel that doesn't care about its own maintenance clock.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18598 on: June 21, 2017, 07:30:29 am »

So, just entered combat for the first time. Well, two-sided combat. Last time I was just running from hostile aliens I had encountered. Turns out, my jump scout's CIWS systems are so good, they can shoot down even 99% of size 1 missiles travelling at 41000 km/s. Of course, it has 4 of them, but still. The first time I deployed it, they were using, I believe, a size 3 or 5 missile travelling much slower. Now, however, one of the two ships I originally detected is firing a literal stream of size-one 41000 km/s missiles, of strength 1, and the game has had my forces identify them as "Doberman Anti-missile Missiles".
Yeah, they're not terrible effect, but my poor AMMs, travelling at just 24000 km/s don't have a chance. Luckily, my ships are shielded, recharging faster than I can take damage, and I have good point-defense lasers.

OK. Interesting. Does the AI usually make poor targeting decisions? The AI on the ship I'm fighting appears to have extreme numbers of these size-1 missiles, and is using them liberally. However, he keeps switching targets, a couple of times the target switch, for some reason, actually saved me some armor damage. One of my ships actually hit <1 shields because I had run out of AMMs, but the next salvo sailed on by, hit an entirely different vessel several million kilometers behind me (Compared to the enemy). Also happened to be the vessel with CIWS.

Combat is tedious. I really need some way to advance time faster, because this is just boring, honestly. Watch my missiles creep towards them at a real fast 11kkm/s, watch their size-one pinpricks streak in at 41kkm/s, and wonder why that ship hasn't run out of missiles. Volley ID just hit 140, at 5 missiles apiece, and it's smaller and slightly faster than my ships as well (8.1k tonnage estimate, 400km/s faster than me).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:46:57 am by Madman198237 »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18599 on: June 21, 2017, 07:45:17 am »

What are space ports for? You know, the things that can be built with regular industry but don't seem to be designed anywhere.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 1346