Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1253 1254 [1255] 1256 1257 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705411 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18810 on: October 04, 2017, 10:31:45 pm »

We need context to understand your missile.

Super-long-range might work REALLY WELL if launched from, say, a system patrol craft relying on planetary sensor nets for its data.

However, that requires you to HAVE those sensor nets.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18811 on: October 04, 2017, 11:11:04 pm »

Ah, they were meant to be launched from my destroyers in volleys of four each, with enough space on board for five volleys. Since I only just reached Mars now, I think I'll tone down the range a bit. How far away is combat usually? I assumed since we're using lasers and railguns, which travel massive distances, it'd be in the couple million usually.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18812 on: October 05, 2017, 03:43:44 am »

How far away is combat usually? I assumed since we're using lasers and railguns, which travel massive distances, it'd be in the couple million usually.
But beam weapons are allowed only one 5s interval of range so that the position of rounds/beams doesn't have to be stored and the hit/miss can be just calculated. So long range beam weapons usually have range like 200-300k km at the lower tech levels. For your missiles, try to build a sensor ship or include a sensor into your destroyers. Once you see its range (and know how much ahead you want to position that possible sensor ship) design a missile at that area. At starting tech level aim rather for ~10-20m km than 70m. But basically any range above 1m km should mean missiles strike before beam weapons get in range, at least for a (tech-)while.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18813 on: October 05, 2017, 03:52:22 am »

How far away is combat usually? I assumed since we're using lasers and railguns, which travel massive distances, it'd be in the couple million usually.
But beam weapons are allowed only one 5s interval of range so that the position of rounds/beams doesn't have to be stored and the hit/miss can be just calculated. So long range beam weapons usually have range like 200-300k km at the lower tech levels. For your missiles, try to build a sensor ship or include a sensor into your destroyers. Once you see its range (and know how much ahead you want to position that possible sensor ship) design a missile at that area. At starting tech level aim rather for ~10-20m km than 70m. But basically any range above 1m km should mean missiles strike before beam weapons get in range, at least for a (tech-)while.

Huh, just noticed sensors have range too... Not sure why I thought they wouldn't, severe derp on my part. Trying to keep tonnage to a minimum mine are rather pathetic... Welp, time for more science. Also, how do I load the fighters onto my carriers? I spent an hour thudding around as my minotaurs became minotaur wrecks around the planet.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18814 on: October 05, 2017, 04:21:03 am »

Also, how do I load the fighters onto my carriers? I spent an hour thudding around as my minotaurs became minotaur wrecks around the planet.
In Task groups screen:
  • Select fighter TG
  • Tell it to move to the same system as carrier TG if needed
  • Make sure "Task groups" in "System location display options" is checked
  • Find carrier TG in the list of destinations in given system and select it
  • Tell your fighter TG to "Land of Specified Mothership (+Assign)"
  • Select the mothership from offered list of carrier units in carrier TG

Later you can use "Land of Assigned Mothership" instead. There is also a way to do this landing task via Naval Organization tab.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18815 on: October 05, 2017, 04:43:13 am »

Also, how do I load the fighters onto my carriers? I spent an hour thudding around as my minotaurs became minotaur wrecks around the planet.
In Task groups screen:
  • Select fighter TG
  • Tell it to move to the same system as carrier TG if needed
  • Make sure "Task groups" in "System location display options" is checked
  • Find carrier TG in the list of destinations in given system and select it
  • Tell your fighter TG to "Land of Specified Mothership (+Assign)"
  • Select the mothership from offered list of carrier units in carrier TG

Later you can use "Land of Assigned Mothership" instead. There is also a way to do this landing task via Naval Organization tab.

Thanks! Nearly 100 minotaurs died while I derped around trying to figure that out... Also, when do lasers get small enough to fit unturreted on fighters? All I can fit right now is a small pocket at size 1 missiles or dual guass. Might make an 800-sih ton gunboat if they don't ever and make a carrier to hold that.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18816 on: October 05, 2017, 05:21:28 am »

You can fit reduced size lasers onto fighters at later tech levels, but it massively increases your recharge rate, basically turning your fighters into one-shot manned missiles. Unlike many other games, there's no such thing as miniaturization of older technology, so 10cm lasers are about the only type you can fit on a fighter in a practical fashion.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18817 on: October 05, 2017, 05:27:33 am »

I think the range on the missile is decent. 1mil is not enough by far, because you will be in AMM range of the precursors long before that and those'll probably tear your ships spart, if their long range missiles didn't.
Then they might have more range than the beam weapons, yes, but can you destroy the enemy (enemies) quickly enough to keep them out of range?
With 70mil km range you might still run into the problem that they shoot their missiles at you and then fuck off to reload and, as they'll likely be faster than you, you can't do anything about it.

I suggest size 6 missiles at most, because once they get bigger they can get detected earlier and thus the AMMs have more chances to shoot them down. Or use MIRVs. Go for a range of 70-150mil km and work from there. ECM is also a thing, but I will let you discover it yourself, if you want. It sure fucked me over at the beginning. :D
Damage doesn't help if you can't apply it, so at the beginning 4 or 9 damage is perfectly fine. I myself don't mind using non optimal damage numbers either, that extra bit can help the next missile.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18818 on: October 05, 2017, 01:15:59 pm »

So, have you all seen the proposed ground unit changes Steve has been working on lately? They seem pretty exciting.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18819 on: October 05, 2017, 03:18:36 pm »

You can do what Detros said, but if you go into your  Class Design menu, select your carrier ship, select the Ordnance/Fighters tab (it'll be one of the several tabs directly above your Class Summary Display which effectively shows you your ship tonnage, speed, maintenance stuff, weapon ranges, etc. On the Ordnance/Fighters tab, you'll have the option to add fighters as the carrier's "Strike Group" so that when you build a carrier and let it sit in orbit around a planet, any fighters you build at that planet are automatically assigned to that carrier and its fleet as the fighters' mothership.

So, have you all seen the proposed ground unit changes Steve has been working on lately? They seem pretty exciting.

Yeah, I think it's a really cool addition. I find myself renaming the base units to fit my empire theme, but now that he's made these changes I get to actually create those units rather than having them be abstracted into what I wish them to be.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18820 on: October 05, 2017, 03:27:23 pm »

Yeah, and I like the Hearts of Iron style unit stats/creation. Simplified, of course, but still.

I really want boarding to be a viable strat however. That would be awesome.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18821 on: October 05, 2017, 04:07:05 pm »

I just want the totally-not-40K Titans.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18822 on: October 05, 2017, 05:38:23 pm »

Yes, though if he could copy ground combat and other not-yet-done parts of Aurora from VB6 7.1 version without too much hassle I would like more if he just finished the transfer to C# first, released it and then worked on new mechanics in later versions.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18823 on: October 06, 2017, 05:14:22 pm »

I just want the totally-not-40K Titans.
I wouldn't mind some Bolos. Mobile planetary siege engines.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18824 on: October 06, 2017, 05:40:16 pm »

Got my first batch of destroyers ready, 2 missile platforms and 2 laser platforms... Once the support tanker is up and running we'll explore past Mars.
Pages: 1 ... 1253 1254 [1255] 1256 1257 ... 1346