Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705552 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18825 on: October 06, 2017, 05:55:49 pm »

I can't help but suspect that 40k really can't lay any claim at all to the concept of absurdly large war machines. I mean, The Ratte comes pretty close to qualifying and its almost non-fiction. Certainly 40k could have been the primary direct influence, but I feel that it is a bit silly to cite references to the concept of "absurdly massive land military vehicle" nor the usage of "Titan" to describe such a thing.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18826 on: October 06, 2017, 06:07:36 pm »

I wouldn't mind some Bolos. Mobile planetary siege engines.
Aw yeah, give me some of those mark 33s. That's the good stuff
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18827 on: October 06, 2017, 07:58:41 pm »

I can't help but suspect that 40k really can't lay any claim at all to the concept of absurdly large war machines. I mean, The Ratte comes pretty close to qualifying and its almost non-fiction. Certainly 40k could have been the primary direct influence, but I feel that it is a bit silly to cite references to the concept of "absurdly massive land military vehicle" nor the usage of "Titan" to describe such a thing.

The three classes of titan talked about are the three main classes of 40k Titan, that's what FD meant if I'm not mistaken
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18828 on: October 06, 2017, 11:03:49 pm »

No, a while back when Steve was talking about GF expansion, he specifically referenced a set of definitely-not-Titan-Titans. Given that and the improved namelist stuff including more 40K themes, it's not exactly a stretch.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18829 on: October 06, 2017, 11:11:37 pm »

He also mentioned adding an option to allow the rediscovery of "lost" colonies, which he called a Grand Crusade.  Given that "lost human colony" has been a preferred start of mine for quite some time, it stuck out in my memory. 

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18830 on: October 11, 2017, 02:15:29 am »

Is this all getting coded into Aurora? Or is this a different/new game you're discussing?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18831 on: October 11, 2017, 05:41:21 am »

Is this all getting coded into Aurora? Or is this a different/new game you're discussing?
See C# Aurora Changes List - Titans and also thread Replacing PDCs where ongoing discussion about further changes to ground combat takes place.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #18832 on: October 11, 2017, 08:42:09 am »

So cool. It's getting so hard to resist playing aurora until C#, even though they'll probably feel like totally different games. I'm trying not to burn myself out on space games as much as I can.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #18833 on: October 11, 2017, 09:35:47 am »

A post in how did you last own pushed my memory in recalling that last time I asked--people recommended waiting for some...C-something patch or version (I don't know programming languages or acronyms :-[ forgive me!), and I'm currently wondering if that's out already. ._.

I really want to try playing Aurora without not knowing how to set it up. :-\

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18834 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:51 am »

There is a solution for that. C# (Said C Sharp) Aurora is in the works, no solid release date yet so far as I know.

To play Aurora without actually attempting to go through whatever the installation process is (I didn't) use this:
See, I can learn just fine.

OK, I can't name my URL something fancy. That's fine.

Anyway, it's a link to the official Aurora forums/the official post for the Portable launcher.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:25:34 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18837 on: October 11, 2017, 11:50:38 am »

A post in how did you last own pushed my memory in recalling that last time I asked--people recommended waiting for some...C-something patch or version (I don't know programming languages or acronyms :-[ forgive me!), and I'm currently wondering if that's out already. ._.
Heh, just look at those two comments above your one here, they were talking about C#, too. Good to hear that thread of owning is not just a big wall when random strangers post their adventures but actually also a signpost for those looking for new things to play. So if you can find a bit of spare time from DF, try this "DF in space" for a change. Don't worry, we here or at Aurora forums can answer your questions.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18838 on: October 11, 2017, 05:00:11 pm »

I had no idea CMC's had mass drivers. I always shipped a couple when they were established.
Yes, there is free mass driver and free garrison. But this mass driver works just for civilian mines themselves, IIRC, so if you add some of your (auto)mines you need few extra mass drivers.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18839 on: October 11, 2017, 05:05:34 pm »

I had no idea CMC's had mass drivers. I always shipped a couple when they were established.
Yes, there is free mass driver and free garrison. But this mass driver works just for civilian mines themselves, IIRC, so if you add some of your (auto)mines you need few extra mass drivers.

Yeah, but in my experience it seems that the free CMC garrisons, when attached to a brigade and then that brigade is attached to a division, do not train (increasing morale, attack, and defence values.)
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 1346