Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1259 1260 [1261] 1262 1263 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704191 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18900 on: October 14, 2017, 07:03:13 pm »

Absolutely not. Those will have absolute horrid hit-rates against fast ships, never mind enemy missiles. You need mid-single-million km ranges, 1 MSP size, WH 1, and maximized speed + chance to hit.

To put it in perspective, if someone else fired one of those missiles at you, you'd need about 8-10 to guarantee that you'd shoot it down.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18901 on: October 14, 2017, 07:18:13 pm »

There is a solution for that. C# (Said C Sharp) Aurora is in the works, no solid release date yet so far as I know.

To play Aurora without actually attempting to go through whatever the installation process is (I didn't) use this:
See, I can learn just fine.

OK, I can't name my URL something fancy. That's fine.

Anyway, it's a link to the official Aurora forums/the official post for the Portable launcher.

I've been having trouble getting Aurora to work lately.  Lets see if this is any different.

Nope, still broken for me.  Economy page collapses on Colony Selection.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18902 on: October 14, 2017, 08:06:18 pm »

Hit places with geo teams as fast as possible, there's nothing to be gained by waiting (So far as I know)
There's something to be gained, but only very little.  However, on the other hand, waiting until you've depleted one or more resources is actually a rather bad thing, so I agree that waiting is a bad idea.  A geosurvey team's result is essentially a second free survey roll with one extra effect: if you roll a mineral deposit that already exists, you get the *greater* of both amount and accessibility.  In essence, you get four conditions:
A. Your geosurvey team comes up with nothing, or comes up with a deposit that has both a smaller amount and accessibility: nothing happens, and you keep the existing deposit.
B. Your geosurvey team comes up with a higher accessibility at the same or smaller amount already on the system.  You keep the amount already present with the new, higher accessibility.
C. Your geosurvey team comes up with a higher amount at a lower accessibility (most commonly the infamous 10-million, 0.1 accessibility deposits).  You get the higher amount at the accessibility already present.
D. Your geosurvey team comes up with both a higher amount and higher accessibility.  You get the newly-found deposit, plain and simple. 

The motherlode, naturally, is to combine a high-accessibility, low-amount deposit with a high-amount, low-accessibility deposit; that gives you a high-accessibility, high-amount deposit of the sort Detros posted earlier.  Because the amount is replaced rather than added, it can be beneficial to wait to bring in a geosurvey team when your deposits start running a bit low.  However, then you run the risk of running the deposit dry, at which point you no longer get to keep its accessibility if you find a large but inaccessible deposit.  Plus, it's a bit fiddly to wait; it's simply easier to drop a team on the rock and search right away. 

If you make your survey teams survey some of the less worthwhile bodies then it is possible for them upgrade in skill, which in turn could give them an increased chance of having positive results when surveying bodies.
Thankfully, this was changed in 6.0.  The only thing geosurvey team skill now affects is the time it takes to complete the survey.  You no longer need to worry about wasting your only geosurvey chance by using a low-skill team; you'll just be waiting a bit longer. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:16:21 pm by Culise »

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18903 on: October 14, 2017, 08:15:12 pm »

If you make your survey teams survey some of the less worthwhile bodies then it is possible for them upgrade in skill, which in turn could give them an increased chance of having positive results when surveying bodies.
Thankfully, this was changed in 6.0.  The only thing geosurvey team skill now affects is the time it takes to complete the survey.  You no longer need to worry about wasting your only geosurvey chance by using a low-skill team; you'll just be waiting a bit longer.

Oh, that's actually really good. I always felt nervous about using low skilled teams on important planetary bodies.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18904 on: October 14, 2017, 11:01:58 pm »

Agreed! Having to run multiple geo teams to farm the cream of the crop for your A-team was a hassle.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18905 on: October 15, 2017, 01:45:02 am »

Do you play with maintenance off?
2 and something years of maintenance is enough when you have just 6 months of deployment time. Try to go for 12 months of deployments at least.

The motherlode, naturally, is to combine a high-accessibility, low-amount deposit with a high-amount, low-accessibility deposit; that gives you a high-accessibility, high-amount deposit of the sort Detros posted earlier.  Because the amount is replaced rather than added, it can be beneficial to wait to bring in a geosurvey team when your deposits start running a bit low.  However, then you run the risk of running the deposit dry, at which point you no longer get to keep its accessibility if you find a large but inaccessible deposit.  Plus, it's a bit fiddly to wait; it's simply easier to drop a team on the rock and search right away.
That Nastrand-A I has actually been surveyed only from orbit yet.

There are usually so many places for possible mining site that I don't wait and try to have my geosurvey team always working. I send them to all places that I have already found some minerals in and possible to few other ones if I haven't found decent place with duranium or so in the given system. IIRC, geosurvey teams have four times smaller chance to find something than orbital survey, though.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18906 on: October 15, 2017, 03:27:34 am »

I guess my engine tech isn't suitable then. Cannot make a fast AMM thats less than 1 MSP that can also hit something. Well I have got stronger engine techs to research, making the warhead smaller will no doubt help.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18907 on: October 15, 2017, 03:43:17 am »

For 1st gen AMMs about 25k km might be OK.

I have to say though that I don't really use AMMs anymore and rely on point defence instead. You need more or heavier ships to make it work but they don't run out of ammo. Bigger fights can cost you a lot, and really big ones against well developed NPRs will drain your stockpiles in no time. A 300 round magazine is rather small for AMMs.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #18908 on: October 15, 2017, 11:10:39 am »

Decided to start trying to play this abnd I am confused. Any tips or help for a new player at this game?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18909 on: October 15, 2017, 12:00:25 pm »

Try asking more specific questions. It is a bit difficult to just generally say something when we don't know what is confusing you.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18910 on: October 15, 2017, 12:08:35 pm »

You can look up and find about half a dozen unfinished tutorial video series's people have made.  1-2 of those should help you get started.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18911 on: October 15, 2017, 12:09:51 pm »

I said it a while ago, but try playing alongside quill18's Let's Play. It's slow, but you can acclimate to the game, and he does go over things like missile construction. I'm actually probably going to watch it again and start a new game since I haven't played in a while.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18912 on: October 15, 2017, 02:10:09 pm »

For creating AMM's likely the most important tech to pick up is the warhead power techline(and hence reduction in space required for strength 1 warhead) followed by engine power multiplier then engines.

I have to say though that I don't really use AMMs anymore and rely on point defence instead. You need more or heavier ships to make it work but they don't run out of ammo. Bigger fights can cost you a lot, and really big ones against well developed NPRs will drain your stockpiles in no time. A 300 round magazine is rather small for AMMs.
I've found it better to mix both AMM's and PD. Don't try shooting down everything with your AMM's, instead use them to thin out incoming salvoes, making it easier for your PD to mop up.

When operating with a battlefleet rather than scouting in force, I'll frequently also include laser PD frigates that will detach from the main fleet and hold position 3/4 of their range in the direction of attack set to area defence mode, to further thin out incoming salvoes.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18913 on: October 15, 2017, 04:21:31 pm »

IMO early AMMs are pointless, too many tech lines that need to be at least somewhat decent. Base-tech railguns do nicely, the only tech needed is BFC speed rating.

Even later, I often find that a decent AMM platform + adequate missile stockpile + supply train takes up so many resources that an equivalent expenditure on beam PD would neutralise more missiles without the logistics burden.
If I use AMMs, I have a specific reason. Maybe I want missile launchers for offense/bombarding, and figure I may as well get some defensive use out of them in a pinch. Or I care about ability to stay on station for a few decades over raw combat ability... this tends to be impractical with beam weapons, easy for AMMs in box launchers. Most of the time, I'm looking for an excuse... efficient beam setups don't always make for exciting games.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #18914 on: October 15, 2017, 08:27:36 pm »

Been having trouble with this and not been able to find a guide elsewhere, any clue how to set up mass drivers between 2 planets and how to transport them?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:31:21 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!
Pages: 1 ... 1259 1260 [1261] 1262 1263 ... 1346