Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2703741 times)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18915 on: October 15, 2017, 08:41:12 pm »

Been having trouble with this and not been able to find a guide elsewhere, any clue how to set up mass drivers between 2 planets and how to transport them?

To transport a mass driver, you need a cargo ship with at least one standard small size cargo bay (and EDIT: preferably cargo handling systems unless you want long loading/unloading times.) Once you've built a cargo ship, then you have to go into the task group tab, find the new cargo ship (most probably in the Shipyard task group), detach it, order it to Load Mass Driver at earth, then order it to unload the mass driver at whatever other body you want the mass driver at. If your ship has a small cargo bay you'll need to give the ship load/unload orders a few more times, as they transport it in pieces rather than the entire mass driver.

Once that is done, go into the Mining tab on the Colony Overview of the body that you want to send minerals from. Towards the top right of the Mining/Maintenance tab there should be a dropdown box that says "Mass Driver Destination." Select the body that you want to receive the minerals and the planet will automatically begin sending back whatever minerals it has mined. One mass driver sends 5000verify tons of minerals each year, but can receive an infinite amount.

Make sure that the receiving body has at least one mass driver or the mineral packets being hurled at the receiving colony will result in mass devastation
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:49:36 pm by coleslaw35 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18916 on: October 15, 2017, 09:31:11 pm »

Yep, just standard transport of the correct size and standard delays and such. I have had a lot of trouble relying upon civilian transport though, so I would counsel against relying upon them if you are in a hurry- or sane- or otherwise...

But ultimately it just comes down to setting the target. There is not much in the way of confirmation or anything, just set your map to display the packets and you ought to see them being hurled around  after enough time has passed. They shoot pretty frequently so it ought to be visible if it is working.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18917 on: October 16, 2017, 12:47:23 am »

To transport a mass driver, you need a cargo ship with at least one standard size cargo bay (and obviously cargo handling systems.) Once you've built a cargo ship, then you have to go into the task group tab, find the new cargo ship (most probably in the Shipyard task group), detach it, order it to Load Mass Driver at earth, then order it to unload the mass driver at whatever other body you want the mass driver at.
Make sure that the receiving body has at least one mass driver or the mineral packets being hurled at the receiving colony will result in mass devastation
Not really. You don't need the standard 25k cargo bay. Going with a TG of 5 ships with small 5k cargo bays or even just going 5 times with only one ship with only one small 5k cargo bay is enough. You also don't have to have those cargo handling systems, they just speed up the loading and unloading.

Also, you can only pick a colony with mass driver when selecting the colony you are going to send the minerals to. Beware of loading the last mass driver from a colony that is the destination of some such delivery some time later, though.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18918 on: October 16, 2017, 07:12:57 am »

I know this thing is better as an AMM than every one of my previous designs. Probably not ideal though.
Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 29
Speed: 19200 km/s    Engine Endurance: 4 minutes   Range: 4.1m km
Cost Per Missile: 0.8663
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 556.8%   3k km/s 174%   5k km/s 111.4%   10k km/s 55.7%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   0.6163x Gallicite   Fuel x20

Development Cost for Project: 87RP

Brand new engine for missiles on that. Edit: made it larger due to minimum size requirements. Slightly slower but about as accurate.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:17:27 am by Khan Boyzitbig »
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18919 on: October 16, 2017, 07:25:19 am »

You will need a LOT of those, but it is clearly better. You could still loose half the fuel probably.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18920 on: October 16, 2017, 07:39:09 am »

Aside from halving the range that literally does nothing useful. Just makes the missile more expensive with no accuracy boost.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18921 on: October 16, 2017, 10:57:16 am »

Not really. You don't need the standard 25k cargo bay. Going with a TG of 5 ships with small 5k cargo bays or even just going 5 times with only one ship with only one small 5k cargo bay is enough. You also don't have to have those cargo handling systems, they just speed up the loading and unloading.

Well, yeah, you could build five separate cargo ships with small cargo bays and no cargo handling system.. But why would you? You'd save more time and resources just building one standard sized ship. The only way I could see the smaller ones being useful is for slight improvement in speed but.. eh. I mean, they're cargo ships, not speed racers.

Also, the loading period without cargo handling systems is painful.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18922 on: October 16, 2017, 12:01:14 pm »

But you made it sound like they are needed for the ship to function.

And for Sol a ship with a small cargohold might be enough at the beginning, who cares if it needs more time, the inner planets are all close by.
And when you get better engines and colonies that are further away you can build bigger ships.
I still build my first ship with a standard hold, but there can be reasons not to.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18923 on: October 16, 2017, 12:45:39 pm »

I guess I should've worded it a bit differently. I'm just saying there's not much reason to not put one on your cargo ships.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18924 on: October 16, 2017, 04:07:40 pm »

Does deployment time matter for a station with its own recreational facilities?

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18925 on: October 16, 2017, 04:35:33 pm »

Also, you can only pick a colony with mass driver when selecting the colony you are going to send the minerals to. Beware of loading the last mass driver from a colony that is the destination of some such delivery some time later, though.

"...Mars dome 37-B imploded after being impacted by a high-velocity mineral payload originating from the Outer Rim Coalition worlds. The Federation has dispatched Vanguard battalions to quell unrest after several key states declared the disaster an act of war. An official statement from Vice Admiral Bert Alioto, head of Sector Command, is soon to follow. In an unprecedented move, the X-3 Terran Battlefleet has departed Earth in the direction of Venus - likely to set-up a buffer zone between potential retaliatory incursions between the Inner System Union and the ORC. The Governor of Mars could not be reached for a statement at this time, still pending ISU investigation into allegations of corruption, bribery, and the mediation of Veridian Industries' illegal acquisition of Mercurian auto-mines. More to follow - tonight at 9!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #18926 on: October 16, 2017, 04:45:30 pm »

"...Mars dome 37-B imploded after being impacted by a high-velocity mineral payload originating from the Outer Rim Coalition worlds. The Federation has dispatched Vanguard battalions to quell unrest after several key states declared the disaster an act of war. An official statement from Vice Admiral Bert Alioto, head of Sector Command, is soon to follow. In an unprecedented move, the X-3 Terran Battlefleet has departed Earth in the direction of Venus - likely to set-up a buffer zone between potential retaliatory incursions between the Inner System Union and the ORC. The Governor of Mars could not be reached for a statement at this time, still pending ISU investigation into allegations of corruption, bribery, and the mediation of Veridian Industries' illegal acquisition of Mercurian auto-mines. More to follow - tonight at 9!"
Yeah, accidentaly did that to Earth. Tried to transport them out and accidentaly transported one too many...caused me a whole lot of trouble. On the plus side I am very well experienced in troop production and transport now.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18927 on: October 16, 2017, 04:49:44 pm »

Every disaster imparts its own priceless wisdom ;)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18928 on: October 16, 2017, 04:55:50 pm »

In the space of three days two newbies have started playing this game and both have mass drivered earth. Is this some sort of rite of progression? Does every newbie shoot the homeworld with large chunks of fast moving TN metals?

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18929 on: October 16, 2017, 04:56:23 pm »

Nope!

I never did.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 1346