Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1273 1274 [1275] 1276 1277 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2699855 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19110 on: November 09, 2017, 08:09:18 pm »

I have 205 million sorium acc. 1 on Uranus, it will just be a matter of setting up tanker fleets but I have effectively unlimited fuel.

Will refinery tech also improve sorium harvester modules? it would be nice to have my huge harvesters a bit more effective.

Aye, Sorium refinery modules operate on a 1 to 1 ratio, and upgrading refinery tech affects ship/PDC harvester modules the same way it affects fuel refineries (building).
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19111 on: November 10, 2017, 04:42:04 pm »

Damn NPR's are fighting each other, minute increments going by... They're actually fighting a single jump from my capital, wondering if I should help one side and take the loot for myself.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19112 on: November 10, 2017, 05:01:10 pm »

Are therstagesgood guides to get started? Like guide for dummies style? I started up and was more confused than when I started dwarf fortress lol

Looks like a great game once past learning stages

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19113 on: November 10, 2017, 05:26:44 pm »

Is there any way to force the sup-pulse to be 1 day? I'm sick of fighting NPR's taking up the entire time.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19114 on: November 10, 2017, 06:06:08 pm »

Precursors are confusing. They have two platforms I can see, and I can see their R1 sensor range as being about 4m km, I fire long range missiles to see if they have ammo still (they did) and they start lobbing AMMs at about 6m km, which is outside their sensor range. And they killed a destroyer at 20m km which they shouldn't have been able to see let alone track once it went back outside the range they fired at.

Also, which is likely to be the Gauss platform, the 18500t one or the 18050t one? Or should I just keep firing from outside their range until they stop launching missiles? (I kinda want to try and capture the platforms, would make nice trophies for earth's orbit)
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19115 on: November 10, 2017, 06:42:44 pm »

If they're firing outside of their sensor range, then you're missing something. Either your sensor range settings are jacked up (for passives only, I think), or there's something you haven't detected yet.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19116 on: November 10, 2017, 06:59:58 pm »

Is there any way to force the sup-pulse to be 1 day? I'm sick of fighting NPR's taking up the entire time.
Setting "Detection" in "None without player presence" can help a bit with such cases. If they can't see one another they can't fight.

Precursors are confusing. They have two platforms I can see, and I can see their R1 sensor range as being about 4m km, I fire long range missiles to see if they have ammo still (they did) and they start lobbing AMMs at about 6m km, which is outside their sensor range.
The sensor range shown for other units then your ones is just a guess according to your current sensor techs. If they have better tech they can see you further then System screen shows to you.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19117 on: November 10, 2017, 07:53:08 pm »

Are therstagesgood guides to get started? Like guide for dummies style? I started up and was more confused than when I started dwarf fortress lol

Looks like a great game once past learning stages

Can't edit on my phone. I meant are there any good guides i can learn the game. Somehow my phone butchered that lol

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19118 on: November 11, 2017, 06:11:33 am »

Setting "Detection" in "None without player presence" can help a bit with such cases. If they can't see one another they can't fight.

Precursors are confusing. They have two platforms I can see, and I can see their R1 sensor range as being about 4m km, I fire long range missiles to see if they have ammo still (they did) and they start lobbing AMMs at about 6m km, which is outside their sensor range.
The sensor range shown for other units then your ones is just a guess according to your current sensor techs. If they have better tech they can see you further then System screen shows to you.

Well I know they have EM sensitivity 18 vs my own 11. Don't know about their active grav but mine is 32 IIRC theirs might be 36 or whatever is 1-2 levels higher than mine. I know my sensor tech is about double what I started with (previous max size sensor R100 was 872m km, now its 1.9b km). I guess EM sensor sensitivity is another tech to research soon then.

It would explain why their scout stayed outside of what seemed to be its sensor range, I'm going with their sensor range being about 50% above its shown level but that still doesn't explain how they saw my destroyer, unless they have a smaller sensor I haven't detected that has longer range (such as an R80 or something, I know my S1 R100 is 39.2m km so a 0.5 or smaller could still be hidden but have 20m km range).

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19119 on: November 11, 2017, 06:50:02 am »

Your actives get better by better EM Sensitivity as well. So you should always research that.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19120 on: November 11, 2017, 06:55:22 am »

I'm not an expert at Aurora, but how do you know their supposed sensor size/ strength/ range on the scout?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19121 on: November 11, 2017, 09:41:01 am »

6x DSTS 400 that I snuck in and dropped off. Basically Passive EM sensors will detect active sensors.
That and I actually looted the sensor intact with my salvage ships after pincering it between 4 destroyers and 4 cruisers causing the AI to keep trying to stay away from them and bouncing back and forth between a rock and a hard place. (along with TH-18 and EM-18 passives, I know exactly what their passive tech is as a result)

As for research, I am building more labs but currently have 45 split between 4 projects normally (sometimes because the Scientist cannot use more labs, usually because more than one tech group has something important and when you have two 55% scientists in two different areas why not use them both?) Although I'm often spending too much, what with needing more ships and buildings and everything else while only having one major planet with two colonies one of which needs infrastructure.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19122 on: November 11, 2017, 10:50:35 am »

Regarding active sensors... EM sensitivity is a higher priority tech than Active Grav Sensor Strength:

- effect on active sensor range is similar
- Sensitivity benefits passive sensors
- higher Sensitivity doesn't increase cost of the sensor, you get better performance for free
- higher Sensitivity doesn't increase the EM footprint

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19123 on: November 11, 2017, 04:52:11 pm »

I'd hoped to find an NPR, but nope more precursors... and they have 30cm railguns with 6x range modifier. Clearly I am going to need bigger guns. Or just missiles galore as they won't be able to recharge those guns very fast. At least I am pretty certain they are the same size as the missile ships given the identical thermal signature and speed and they aren't going to runaway when they see us.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19124 on: November 13, 2017, 05:42:15 am »

Aurora has a very frustrating ability to keep me hooked for 7 hour play session, haha

Also I got an NPR in the very next system over. Very nervous moments after they sent a task group of several classes into my system and made a beeline for earth, but I set my PD up and didn't pull any triggers and it turns out they were just some sort of geosurvey mission. Other than that incident, relations are going quite well and we've established two-way trade permits, which finally convinced the civilian lines to build some freighters. All is looking well in the galaxy.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 1273 1274 [1275] 1276 1277 ... 1346