Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2696510 times)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19170 on: November 27, 2017, 06:13:00 am »

I remembered after going bed that mesons actually are a little odd in their Range Modifier stat, the base weapon shows R1.5 doesn't it? That means the queens and workers have 60kkm range not 90kkm and explains why the warriors didn't shoot first, they can only hit targets upto 120kkm. So I do outrange them with my weapons, just about with the 10cm lasers but enough that I have the advantage. Might as well grab some medium range missiles and heavy anti-capital missiles for the queen.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19171 on: November 27, 2017, 07:01:17 am »

Saw a singular precursor ship, yeah, 140 missiles for one cruiser may be a bit much, but you never know what that thing was carrying... Now, time to salvage the wreck and find out what that thing was carrying.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19172 on: November 27, 2017, 07:07:50 am »

Did it shoot any down? It might have been a sensor ship if it didn't. Whereas if it did you could guess what weapons it had.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19173 on: December 04, 2017, 08:14:49 am »

Whoops, forgot my battlecruiser design also allows the shipyard to build a civilian ship, not the first time I have built the wrong ships because more than one class can be built in the same yard without retooling.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19174 on: December 04, 2017, 10:56:27 am »

Or have my entire fleet be faster than her, I think she has 1500 shields or 15000 shields, EM sig is 45000 from shields anyway and I can out run her with everything bar the tankers which shouldn't be anywhere near her anyway so casual massed laser and particle beam strikes from outside her range should suffice.

But how well can you hit at that range and how much damage do you do? You need to outdamage the shield regeneration, and that can be harder than it sounds with lasers not doing much damage at range and generally mediocre hitting chances.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19175 on: December 04, 2017, 11:34:51 am »

Or have my entire fleet be faster than her, I think she has 1500 shields or 15000 shields, EM sig is 45000 from shields anyway and I can out run her with everything bar the tankers which shouldn't be anywhere near her anyway so casual massed laser and particle beam strikes from outside her range should suffice.

But how well can you hit at that range and how much damage do you do? You need to outdamage the shield regeneration, and that can be harder than it sounds with lasers not doing much damage at range and generally mediocre hitting chances.

About 50% accuracy for both the laser armed frigates and the particle beam armed cruisers, okay the frigates are hitting for one damage at that range but the cruisers can hit for 5 or 6 and shoot about 4 times per 10s iirc. And I do have a lot of ships. (whether I still have them after killing the little swarmers is another story)

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #19176 on: December 04, 2017, 02:26:56 pm »

I wish i could get this working under Wine.
Anyone know how?

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19177 on: December 04, 2017, 02:41:16 pm »

I wish i could get this working under Wine.
Anyone know how?

There's an explanation of how to get it working under the wine entry for the game itself.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33254 Dunno how old it is or if it still works but it's been awhile since I've done anything with linux anyway.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19178 on: December 06, 2017, 01:25:30 pm »

Thought I would share this, because it was a surprise to win flawlessly, they never even hit my ships and they were at least two tech levels above me (50% ECM and 40000kkm/s ASMs...)

I was playing Aurora 4x and had a "little" fight with the precursors, I sent what I though would be just enough ships to take out the four enemy capital ships and their scout. 5 Battlecruisers, 10 missile cruisers, 15 missile destroyers and 25 ordinary destroyers. Turns out I misjudged their numbers, they actually had another 8 or 9 ships of three previously unknown classes and had a much larger tech advantage than I had thought. I won with 0 losses despite bringing the obsolete AMMs and running almost out of missiles (in the fleet, had thousands back home). I suppose firing 195 missiles every 50 seconds really helped. Both sides ran out of Anti-Missile Missiles before the end (not that mine did much good, 12% accuracy and all) and I accidentally destroyed their scout (I wanted to try and capture it) but it was a fun fight.

Also, does anyone know what absorption shields do and how to use them? I have the techs (lovely ruins) but they confuse me.

Luminous Bolt of Bacon

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19179 on: December 06, 2017, 01:52:29 pm »

They take damage and absorb it.  The more they absorb the stronger they glow on the EM field.  They dissipate a set amount of energy over time but if they get over filled they collapse.  They also let through damage as they absorb more.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19180 on: March 21, 2018, 04:52:06 pm »

Dumb question that I can't believe I've never thought about before:

Is there a way to incorporate recovered alien components into designs, instead of just burning them for research points?

Like, if I find some really nice engines or lasers that are above my tech level, can I just chalk up a design and incorporate them somehow? I don't see a way to have the components in my build list, which makes me sad. I was getting excited about a scenario where a starter race begins digging through a massive alien ruin on their planet, and assembles ships out of the junk they dig out of the ruins.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19181 on: March 21, 2018, 05:23:14 pm »

Dumb question that I can't believe I've never thought about before:

Is there a way to incorporate recovered alien components into designs, instead of just burning them for research points?

Like, if I find some really nice engines or lasers that are above my tech level, can I just chalk up a design and incorporate them somehow? I don't see a way to have the components in my build list, which makes me sad. I was getting excited about a scenario where a starter race begins digging through a massive alien ruin on their planet, and assembles ships out of the junk they dig out of the ruins.

If I'm right, whenever you salvage an alien ship you can use the parts it gives you. Don't quote me on that though.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19182 on: March 21, 2018, 06:25:34 pm »

Yes you can, I used ECM that was way better than mine in designs. Of course, you are limited to the number of components you salvage, but it can still be a lot better than just some research points.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19183 on: March 22, 2018, 07:09:04 pm »

On Design screen there is a checkbox for "Show only own components" which is set to YES by default.
Tick it off to see pillaged enemy parts so you can incorporate them into your new designs.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #19184 on: March 31, 2018, 12:15:12 pm »

How can I create a temporary task group to assign ships to? I want to send my current surveyors out, but they can't load movement orders because of "shipyard tasks associated with the fleet" - two more vessels which will be built in few months and automatically assigned to Survey Task Group. So I want to assign the current vessels to a temporary TG.
Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 1346