Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705510 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19275 on: January 29, 2019, 12:45:54 pm »

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19276 on: January 29, 2019, 12:58:38 pm »

Is there a difference between the full installer and the portable? Because I use the full installer version.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19277 on: January 29, 2019, 01:13:18 pm »

The difference is that you do not need to run the installer to use the portable version, just download and run.

There is no difference once the game is actually running. You can even copy your old database over.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19278 on: January 29, 2019, 03:57:06 pm »

I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow, but then I suspect I’ll have the same problem.

*edit*

I got a reply on the Aurora forum that it might be the Windows 10 touch screen features. Since this is a laptop, I’ll try disabling them and see what happens.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:00:58 pm by Hanzoku »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19279 on: January 29, 2019, 07:31:05 pm »

That's probbably correct, win10 touchscreen issues make the Aurora menus go fucky from time to time. I never managed to fix that on my end despite not having a touchscreen
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19280 on: January 29, 2019, 08:32:45 pm »

Try using Classic Shell or something similar. Win10 is dogshit and a good shell makes most of it go away.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19281 on: January 30, 2019, 02:27:43 am »

Disabling touchscreen functionality through the registry solves the issue.

I'm sort of used to Win10's UI, so I don't see a major need to go back to a copy of an older version of Windows. Also, Classic Shell development/support has been discontinued for more than a year, though apparently there's a SourceForge project that carries on called Classic Start.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19282 on: January 31, 2019, 06:30:30 pm »

Thanks Hanzoku, I was having the same problem for a while now.  I'll see if your fix helps.
EDIT: Nope, not totally fixed.  While now I can work around the bug where the body screen disappears because it reappears when I select the Economy screen each time, its still too annoying to bother with.  The bug is probably because I have a touchscreen as well as a touchpad, and I can't figure out how to turn off the touchscreen.  Ah well, if I really get the craving to try to get this thing to work, I have a place to start.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #19283 on: January 31, 2019, 08:33:05 pm »

Recently got back into the game - as it stands, this is the furthest I've gotten in many, many of my tries - and things are shaping up fairly nicely. I'm playing a passive game, having yet to experience the presumably most exciting part of Aurora - combat. Things won't stay this way forever though, as what appears to be
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
plague a couple of the known systems, some of them quite strategic/mineral-rich.
Things are, as I said, steadily progressing - the recent founding of the Alpha Centauri colony, with its' milions-rich mineral deposits, will open way to further colonization. Gotta work on those Orbital Habitat-towing ships, 58km/s is shameful for a TN empire...

Most recent development is the discovery of a perfectly habitable world in the system of Gliese 555, right on the edge of the known universe; as I was idly checking out planet characteristics and atmospheric compositions, I took a double take...
... only to be dissapointed with the geosurvey results a few moments later. Had this been a rich planet, it would have given me an aim to drive towards in this area of space - seeing as my focus is currently to the 'south' of the Galactic Map - but perhaps the neighbouring systems will yield something interesting.

I realize this isn't the usual type of post that finds its way into this thread, but it truly has been a while since I played this game - and this time, I'm hooked - but I wanted to share this occurrence; besides, I'm probably going to need ship design feedback soon, so might as well get active straight away.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19284 on: January 31, 2019, 09:05:12 pm »

Oooh, nice. For some reason I never seem to explore nearly as far as other people, I only go a few systems out before running into uglies and getting bogged down

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #19285 on: February 01, 2019, 06:19:24 am »

Thermal sensors are useful in this context. While most of my geosurvey vessels got rekt quickly by unseen threats in previous games, the simple addition of 2 HS EM and TH sensors helped immensly - whereas it used to be Contact! A new hostile ship- x6, followed by A nuclar detonation has been detected!! and the subsequent loss of the ship recorded, the sensors allow me to at the very least get some information on the ships, their missiles of choice, and in one case, detect them first and retreat from the system. Going to upgrade those sensors pretty soon, probably; I'm thinking of sending pure sensor-focused ships to systems with confirmed enemy presence, as well, so as to confirm that they are still there and get even more info. Will see about that, though.
Also, in my experience, baddies seem to hang around planets - quite often ones with an atmosphere containing methane - not out in the system's void areas, so avoiding the inner system is valid if you want to get through them to another system, as is the case with Struve 2398; having originally encountered the aliens in this system, I abandoned it in favour of exploring other lanes - only to later return, jump to the next system unchallenged, and continue exploration.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19286 on: February 01, 2019, 07:45:36 am »

Don't all ships come with 1HS thermal/EM passive sensors built in ?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19287 on: February 01, 2019, 07:58:28 am »

They come with TH 1 and EM 1, not a HS 1 grade sensor which with the worst tech is a TH/EM 5. Getting them upto strength 11 is pretty cheap tech wise. And can be added to civilian ships without making them military.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19288 on: February 01, 2019, 11:48:22 am »

As Khan said, it's better to add HS1 TH and EM sensors (think of them as advanced navigation sensors, if that helps), as they don't turn ships military, take almost no space, and can sometimes squeeze a little extra data out of dead ships.

Fritz, even if it has no minerals you still want to settle that 0.00CC world. The way population works, you'll have larger pools of potential colonists the sooner you start seeding populations off-Earth. They are also a source of tax and trade revenue even if there's no production of strategic resources there.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19289 on: February 01, 2019, 12:27:44 pm »

It is 8 Jumps. Managable, but hard, especially early on when you don't have (unused) transport capacity.
Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 1346