Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1290 1291 [1292] 1293 1294 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2699904 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19365 on: November 14, 2019, 10:44:11 am »

Sometimes their effect on your happiness is just too much, and you have only one option for dealing with their lag-inducing existence.

The fun option.

The nuclear option.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19366 on: November 14, 2019, 12:47:49 pm »

Yea I just kind of disable NPRs in general, then i'll explore as much as i like in the universe, build up my empire, and when i'm ready, ill add an NPR. Alternatively, i'll either play multiple empires myself, or just play with my friends.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19367 on: November 14, 2019, 05:55:23 pm »

Is there any information on what gases do what when terraforming? I've looked, and all I can find is just people saying "use safe greenhouse gas". Terraforming Europa is going well. Colony cost is down to about 4.6 from 5.7. The air isn't dense enough yet and the planet still too cold. I've got oxygen up to around 0.11atm, with carbon dioxide being pumped in because I find the magical nameless gas to be stupid. I'm not sure if it's going to be enough to warm Europa before the atmosphere gets too dense, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19368 on: November 14, 2019, 06:29:45 pm »

Europa is in the same group of habitable moons as Io, so it will be doable with less than 2atm total. Greenhouse gasses are worth 3x normal gasses iirc. I tend to just use O2 C02 and Nitrogen in different amounts and aim for 0.2atm Oxygen. And I usually colonise one or more of those moons, then use gene conversion to make a cold adapted subrace for other worlds/moons like that.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19369 on: November 14, 2019, 07:06:32 pm »

Is there any information on what gases do what when terraforming? I've looked, and all I can find is just people saying "use safe greenhouse gas". Terraforming Europa is going well. Colony cost is down to about 4.6 from 5.7. The air isn't dense enough yet and the planet still too cold. I've got oxygen up to around 0.11atm, with carbon dioxide being pumped in because I find the magical nameless gas to be stupid. I'm not sure if it's going to be enough to warm Europa before the atmosphere gets too dense, though.
I was curious, so tried to look it up, and, surprisingly, there's really not much information at all out there.

Easiest way to test would be to magic up a super-terraforming ship (thousands of modules), then sic it on planets, see what happens. I'm pretty sure most of the choices are, however, lethal - just there to make things more difficult to colonize otherwise-good planets, since you need to remove them to get a colony cost below 2.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19370 on: November 14, 2019, 07:24:39 pm »

I was curious, so tried to look it up, and, surprisingly, there's really not much information at all out there.

Easiest way to test would be to magic up a super-terraforming ship (thousands of modules), then sic it on planets, see what happens. I'm pretty sure most of the choices are, however, lethal - just there to make things more difficult to colonize otherwise-good planets, since you need to remove them to get a colony cost below 2.

Pretty sure the gasses are just there because there's a variety of gasses on different planets, and when you play as a custom empire, your race's tolerance to said gasses are dependant on the gasses of your planet. So literally almost all gasses that aren't your races starting gasses are lethal to them. Hence why people say to use the greenhouse gasses.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19371 on: November 14, 2019, 11:23:55 pm »

If you're already magicking, it'd probably be even easier to turn on SpaceMaster mode, use the new "SM Set Atm" button in the atmospheric terraforming controls to magic in test gasses, and watch what happens to the Dangerous Atmosphere factor in the colony cost in the System Display.  That also makes it quick to reset since you don't need to run turns at all to let the terraforming run.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19372 on: November 15, 2019, 12:19:33 pm »

It's not here?

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Terraforming

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19373 on: November 15, 2019, 06:08:39 pm »

Was actually looking for the specific effects of each. That page just says every gas has an effect, but doesn't say what. I get that stuff like Chlorine is always bad(the page does list most, maybe all the deadly ones), but I don't know what other "buffer" gases might do.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19374 on: November 15, 2019, 06:43:41 pm »

Mostly alter the temperature of the system body. Oxygen and Methane are breathable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19375 on: November 15, 2019, 08:21:10 pm »

Anything that falls under the dangerous gasses (and the cross breathable gas is classified dangerous(you breathe oxygen then methane is dangerous along with the opposite) modify colony cost to a 2 or 3.  Colony cost is always the highest value between temp, hazard, pressure and breath-ability.

Pretty sure the only gas that has a positive effect to greenhouse that isn't dangerous, your breathable, or safe-greenhouse gas is CO2, ok maybe water.  I think safe-greenhouse is stronger as a greenhouse gas over CO2, or the same I honestly don't know off the top of my head.

Between oxygen and methane; methane has a stronger greenhouse effect.

I also think some other gases might have a negative greenhouse gas, but they are all dangerous.  So yeah it does break down to use your breathable, nitrogen(or other filler) and safe-greenhouse gas(or CO2 if you want to ignore the safe hand-wavy gases).

If you want to kill a pop then chlorine is a classic 3x cost.   I've played races with a base world temp of 105C with the atmo pressure of 4-5 (I think 5 is the max for a pop to base on) made mostly of water, then CO2 then methane/oxygen.  So little of the game is truly documented the best thing to do most of the time is to just experiment.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19376 on: November 15, 2019, 10:45:43 pm »

Does it bother anyone else that CO2 is completely safe? Realistically, that stuff should start killing people at something like 7% total atmospheric pressure.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19377 on: November 16, 2019, 12:08:32 am »

Does it bother anyone else that CO2 is completely safe? Realistically, that stuff should start killing people at something like 7% total atmospheric pressure.

Well technically all the gasses are safe if you make an empire with a homeplanet that has said gasses. :P

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19378 on: November 16, 2019, 01:41:35 am »

I'm pretty sure the only alternate breathable gas is methane, and every other gas acts the same no matter the homeworld conditions.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19379 on: November 16, 2019, 08:17:14 pm »

Well that's odd, one of my frigates just up and died or something. No idea when or how, I only noticed when I glanced at the yearly maintenance and saw there were 11 being maintained instead of the 12 I built. Checked the task group all the frigates are part of plus the global ship list and the frigate designated #002 is gone. The ships have all been in port for a few years; I cancelled the training sessions in part because of fuel supply.

And on the fuel front, I've stopped producing fuel mainly because I haven't been able to exploit any significant deposits of sorium. This is largely why I'm terraforming Europa. In the meantime, I've got a slowly growing fleet of harvester ships at Jupiter... except it takes 15 years for them to fill their tanks not taking accessibility into account, and it'd take 34 of them to overtake Earth's refineries in production.
Pages: 1 ... 1290 1291 [1292] 1293 1294 ... 1346