Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1293 1294 [1295] 1296 1297 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672624 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19410 on: March 31, 2020, 03:17:57 pm »

The issue he's fixing seems like a really annoying one, so I'm glad he noticed it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19411 on: April 02, 2020, 02:17:57 am »

This latest playthrough and the impending release have me on the hype train. My most anticipated release of the year!  :D
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19412 on: April 02, 2020, 06:35:46 am »

Finally, maybe i will begin to play this game :)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19413 on: April 02, 2020, 07:35:52 pm »

I can't continue either of my ongoing games right now, since I'm so anxious for this.  I look forward to seeing it once the last of the immediate bugs are ironed out of the diplomacy code.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19414 on: April 02, 2020, 08:38:43 pm »

My biggest worry is that I'm going to have to "relearn" how to play the game. I've been monitoring the changelog but I'm constantly forgetting the mechanics and details of the changes Steve's been making.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #19415 on: April 02, 2020, 09:52:30 pm »

Think I'm actually going to wait for a bit for the inevitable bugs to be ironed out first, not that they'd be game-breaking if past VB6 releases are of any indication.

But then I've been doing the same with RtW2 and it's still sitting in my backlog after a year. ::)
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19416 on: April 03, 2020, 05:02:27 am »

My biggest worry is that I'm going to have to "relearn" how to play the game. I've been monitoring the changelog but I'm constantly forgetting the mechanics and details of the changes Steve's been making.
Dito haha!
Will this C version finally get rid of the strange resolution requirements and will I be able to see all the menus properly?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #19417 on: April 03, 2020, 05:27:15 am »

Will this C version finally get rid of the strange resolution requirements and will I be able to see all the menus properly?

This might interest you.

Not too different from reduced height windows in VB6, if not actually slightly wider.
Adept Lurker

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19418 on: April 03, 2020, 05:55:24 am »

But then I've been doing the same with RtW2 and it's still sitting in my backlog after a year. ::)

This was a correct call. There were some really nasty bugs related to losing ship design files in long campaigns that are now mostly ironed out.
The next RtW2 patch is supposed to finally add missiles. Since it takes a week to buy the damn game, you might not get it until the next patch comes out if you buy now.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #19419 on: April 03, 2020, 07:25:06 am »

This was a correct call. There were some really nasty bugs related to losing ship design files in long campaigns that are now mostly ironed out.
The next RtW2 patch is supposed to finally add missiles. Since it takes a week to buy the damn game, you might not get it until the next patch comes out if you buy now.

The thing is I've actually got it early, but none of my early campaigns lasted long enough for (too many) bugs to impact before getting distracted.

And they are adding missiles now? That's a whole, fresh, can of worms right there...Gotta see how that goes.

Hope they'd let you design your missiles like Aurora does, too.

Now I'm getting a bit hyped. :P
Adept Lurker

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19420 on: April 03, 2020, 08:56:00 am »

They haven't gone into any details on how missiles will work, but they were a promised feature from the time the game was announced. It will probably use the plane framework, and come in at the very end of the tech tree, so very little direct design.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #19421 on: April 03, 2020, 09:59:55 pm »

They haven't gone into any details on how missiles will work, but they were a promised feature from the time the game was announced. It will probably use the plane framework, and come in at the very end of the tech tree, so very little direct design.
That might prove to be frustrating, if they would not add another model, or at least a flat penalty, for reaction time and fire control difficulty et cetera - WWII to 1950's vintage shipboard AA systems were remarkably helpless versus even first generation ASMs, and it does sound like they are not going beyond Talos/Terrier/Termit at the moment.

In other news, anyone familiar with the peculiarities of C# installers? :D
Adept Lurker

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #19422 on: April 04, 2020, 04:31:48 am »

that's probably a local install issue with a different SQLite version resolving in the library path triggering a one time database conversion, can't really figure it out  but if start looking there printing out library versions and whatnot

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #19423 on: April 04, 2020, 04:43:27 am »

that's probably a local install issue with a different SQLite version resolving in the library path triggering a one time database conversion, can't really figure it out  but if start looking there printing out library versions and whatnot
Quote from: Steve Walmsley
More weirdness.

If I close the IDE and run the exe that sits within the release folder of the build, it runs fine.

If, rather than installing, I simply move those same files from the release folder into a new location on the C drive, it is back to 5 minutes.

Yeah, that sounds quite like some kind of library path issue - Might wanna bring it up.

EDIT: Or rather, whatever silly thing Windows did with its Program Files folder. Hopefully it won't be long now.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:49:46 am by JWNoctis »
Adept Lurker

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19424 on: April 04, 2020, 10:32:20 pm »

Adding your own naming themes is very simple in C# Aurora.

1) Create a text file with one name per line.
2) Click the button shown below
3) Enter the theme name in an input field that pops up
4) Select the file using a standard windows file dialog box.

The name theme is added to the database for the current game and all future games.

I am pretty excited to make a space-dwarves name theme file and live out the timeline where dwarves acquire trans-newtonian technology. "Captain Urist's Expeditionary Forces."
Pages: 1 ... 1293 1294 [1295] 1296 1297 ... 1346