Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2702011 times)

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19440 on: April 08, 2020, 08:41:20 pm »

Diplomacy? You mean there's alternatives to purging the galaxy of xenos scum?

reading from the spec diplomacy is just an excuse to give reasons to wars, with claims and whatnots, and goes to total war at the first point of damage

peace was never an option
Looks like that one's on its way out.

Wanna try some gunboat diplomacy, or low-level undeclared war? You probably could, soon - Watch out for the occasional icebreaker prow, though.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:46:27 pm by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19441 on: April 09, 2020, 07:36:14 am »

I don't know the game at all, i intend to learn it after the C# rework, can someone summarize me why are you all so  excited about this ?

I think you might be wondering what the basic appeal is of the game Aurora in general.  The answer is mostly the customized ship construction.  I mean, really really customized in that you have to design the engines, design the missiles, and design the weapons.  It lets the player get into those scenarios that most games don't reflect but are real life military concerns, such as whether to delay development of a ship for a better cannon or whether to "make do" with the cannons currently available.

...apparently there is also a space empire to manage, a galaxy to explore, brave new worlds to find, terraform, and colonize, but it mostly the ship construction.  The terraforming is also fun and possibly more detailed than other games, mostly involving the adjusting of gas levels to make the planet the right temperature and have a breathable atmosphere.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19442 on: April 09, 2020, 07:40:12 am »

Yeah; i know what Aurora is about.
I just wondered why the C# update was so important and @Dorsidwarf made it perfectly clear !
Thanks !

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19443 on: April 09, 2020, 10:22:31 am »

It has some massive QoL improvements compared to VB6 along with the optimization. I think the most hyped thing for me anyways is the ground combat. The customization is the gem of the game as mentioned, but previously that was limited to ships. Now we can customize and design our entire army as well :)
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19444 on: April 09, 2020, 10:40:49 am »

Quote from: Steve Walmsley

In VB6 Aurora, there is general consensus that the NPRs are not great at research so they present less of a challenge over time.

In my current game, which is seven years in, all four NPRs have researched the next generation of engines, designed new and larger ships, retooled shipyards as they become available and began building the new designs. They have both generations in service which adds a lot more variety to NPRs ships and also means the ships you meet on the frontier may not be the latest designs. One NPR has just researched its third generation of engines and designed a third generation of ships, although it hasn't retooled any shipyards yet. I have only just researched my first set of new engines so they are getting ahead of me.

This is huge.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19445 on: April 09, 2020, 03:32:17 pm »

-snip-

This is huge.
Time to max out on research labs and redo the missile, ship, and fleet optimizers.

Maybe in Python this time around. :D
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19446 on: April 10, 2020, 06:00:03 pm »

I think I am happy now with the combat and the diplomacy. There was a lot of NPR vs NPR combat (as seen in the videos) with no apparent bugs. It isn't perfect, but good enough to release and then tweak. Tomorrow, I will start a new game in the installed version and run the first year or two just to make sure everything functions as expected. This won't a full campaign - I just need to make the installation with obfuscation doesn't have any problems that don't appear in the debug version.

Awww shit, strap in and get ready boys and girls! (Fingers crossed the obfuscated release version doesn't become a dumpster fire when he starts it up.)
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #19447 on: April 10, 2020, 06:49:33 pm »

I think I am happy now with the combat and the diplomacy. There was a lot of NPR vs NPR combat (as seen in the videos) with no apparent bugs. It isn't perfect, but good enough to release and then tweak. Tomorrow, I will start a new game in the installed version and run the first year or two just to make sure everything functions as expected. This won't a full campaign - I just need to make the installation with obfuscation doesn't have any problems that don't appear in the debug version.

Awww shit, strap in and get ready boys and girls! (Fingers crossed the obfuscated release version doesn't become a dumpster fire when he starts it up.)

Did it do that once?

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19448 on: April 11, 2020, 01:00:40 am »

No but what he's saying is he thinks the game is in a release ready state right now, he just needs to test it after fully compiled, out of debug mode, and with the obfuscation he was working on. Basically he's going to run a really quick game now with the version he'll release to make sure nothing broke. Hopefully nothing broke.
- Charles Babbage

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19449 on: April 11, 2020, 05:07:35 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNYznKmGc

Here's a video from Steve of the classic aurora 5-second hell but with the new speed increments.

The kicker? This is actually TRIPLE hell, there are two simultaneous battles going on in other systems and yet its still running this fast.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19450 on: April 11, 2020, 01:12:03 pm »

That's a sight fit to bring tears to my eyes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19451 on: April 12, 2020, 06:42:31 am »

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19452 on: April 12, 2020, 08:00:13 am »

Doom Eternal? Pfft.
Bannerlord? Forgotten.

The real game of the year is finally here!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19453 on: April 12, 2020, 10:34:48 am »

Can't get it. Dropbox is complaining too many people are trying to download it.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19454 on: April 12, 2020, 10:36:12 am »

Someone put a mirror up on the discord, I'll post it here.

Here's me spam clicking the default test game 30 day increment out of pure amazement :O

https://i.gyazo.com/df4a23b0f1f889fed99736cc30069032.mp4

EDIT: Here it is, don't kill this link too https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TXW7GyZvIdkk0DDK9t8KLJfBxyvb-2zc/view
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:37:44 am by Vivalas »
- Charles Babbage

Pages: 1 ... 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 ... 1346