Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704114 times)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19500 on: April 13, 2020, 05:41:44 pm »

In case there are some veterans returning to the game for the first time in a while:

A cargo ship can't unload stuff on a planet unless the planet has a Spaceport or the cargo ship has a Cargo Shuttle Bay.

It took me a half hour to figure out why I couldn't unload infrastructure on the moon.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19501 on: April 13, 2020, 06:23:38 pm »

Well, this is fun. Im getting an error message that refuses to let the game continue and autoturns on. So, error message pops up, I hit OK, it closes, game tries to autoturn, error pops up. Repeat literally forever.

For the curious, the error message is Function #1512 not having an object reference set to an object.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19502 on: April 13, 2020, 06:46:30 pm »

Well, this is fun. Im getting an error message that refuses to let the game continue and autoturns on. So, error message pops up, I hit OK, it closes, game tries to autoturn, error pops up. Repeat literally forever.

For the curious, the error message is Function #1512 not having an object reference set to an object.

Yeaaaaaah... Stuff is kind of fucked at the moment, as much as I hate to say it. The game still works decently, it's just kind of rough. Hopefully, though, it won't take long for the serious stuff to be ironed out and we get to experience Aurora in an entirely new way. I think, even with as many bugs as there are, C# Aurora is already superior to Visual Basic Aurora in pretty much every way. People complain of fast turns that are hard to stop, but shit, I'll take ridiculously fast turns over ridiculously slow turns any day.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19503 on: April 13, 2020, 07:10:10 pm »

Yep. had saved right before it, kept going afterwards. Think its a NPR being bork
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19504 on: April 13, 2020, 07:22:29 pm »

Try saving, exiting, and reloading. That fixes at least some 1512s, and is an official workaround for a bug in 1.20 that's fixed for the next (probably tomorrow or the next day) revision.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19505 on: April 13, 2020, 07:46:00 pm »

So, how do I survey stuff?  I don't see a survey sensor available to be researched.
EDIT: Nevermind, turns out you need to first have ground teams able to geosurvey, then you can research the shipboard sensors.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19506 on: April 13, 2020, 08:08:12 pm »

Try saving, exiting, and reloading. That fixes at least some 1512s, and is an official workaround for a bug in 1.20 that's fixed for the next (probably tomorrow or the next day) revision.
Turned out it was today. I was pretty darn surprised to see it coming right off dinner, but I think I'm going to go full-in for my first major game now. ^_^

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19507 on: April 13, 2020, 08:12:34 pm »

Wow. We're already at version 1.3 of C# and it's been like two days since release. Steve is absolutely insane.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19508 on: April 13, 2020, 08:24:56 pm »

Wow. We're already at version 1.3 of C# and it's been like two days since release. Steve is absolutely insane.

Steve is insane, but the kind of genius insane that we need in this world!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19509 on: April 13, 2020, 08:35:14 pm »

I'm still screwing around. I saw that there were geo sensors for missiles so I made a missile with no engines and a geo sensor, then a missile with engines and the geo missile as a second stage. It's really nice not having to design specific engines anymore. Anyways, do you need a fire control computer to fire this kind of missile at a body you want to survey? I seem to remember you didn't need a fire control to fire at waypoints so I assumed it applied to bodies as well. I saw that there was a 'launch ready ordnance' order but that didn't seem to do anything, and the ship needs to travel to the target to do it anyways.

E: I also hear people talking about carriers with survey ships in them, is that a good idea and how do you people typically go about doing that? How many ships per carrier etc. I've never touched carriers before so I was curious.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 08:36:49 pm by Ozyton »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19510 on: April 13, 2020, 09:14:41 pm »

Still need a FC for missiles.  I've found it easiest in VB6 Aurora to put a waypoint on the body I wanted to launch a missile deployed sensor buoy.  Was just easier to manage for me.  Probably still true.

With the new waypoint system you can just drop a place of interest waypoint that removes it's self after a fleet arrives at it or after 6 months.

Launch Ready Ordnance fires all ready missile FC.  Without a target.  So it's for minelaying, direct buoy dropping, or laying a bunch of smart missiles.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19511 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:06 pm »

Alright, so I can launch the bouy out and it seems to work fine using waypoints, however it doesn't appear to actually be providing and geosurvey points. The missile design says it gives 3 per day but the points on the body are stuck at 80, even though it's at the body since stays on the body as the body orbits. Don't know if that's a bug or if I'm just doing something wrong.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19512 on: April 13, 2020, 10:13:53 pm »

E: I also hear people talking about carriers with survey ships in them, is that a good idea and how do you people typically go about doing that? How many ships per carrier etc. I've never touched carriers before so I was curious.

If you use military drives, you can easily create a ship with one geo- or grav- sensor at 1000 tons. This is useful because that's FAC size and eliminates the need for a bridge, as well as being buildable at all naval shipyards. This makes it easy to research a great swarm of them.

Building carriers is relatively easy, though I haven't messed with parasites yet in C#. You just and a lot of "boat bay" components until you have x*1000 (X being the number of survey ships you want to transport) tons available on a jump-equipped carrier. This is handy because it allows you to replace the survey ships with something else if you need it - sensor platforms or attack craft if you're worried about NPRs, tanker FACs, ferret platforms, things like that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19513 on: April 13, 2020, 11:35:22 pm »

I'm having some issues getting colonists to unload.  My 10,000 cryogenic storage doesn't seem to be working.  What am I doing wrong here?
Code: [Select]
Seeker of Truth class Transport      33,246 tons       85 Crew       425.1 BP       TCS 665    TH 300    EM 0
451 km/s      Armour 1-92       Shields 0-0       HTK 26      Sensors 4/5/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 7    Max Repair 100 MSP
Cargo 25,000    Cryogenic Berths 10,000    Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 2   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

Commercial Nuclear Pulse Engine  EP100.0 (3)    Power 300.0    Fuel Use 11.18%    Signature 100.0    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 4.8 billion km (124 days at full power)

Thermal Sensor TH0.9-4 (1)     Sensitivity 4     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  15.8m km
EM Sensor EM1.0-5 (1)     Sensitivity 5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  17.7m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

EDIT: Well, it seems to be working now, and loads up the colonists even when I don't tell it to load colonists but just say load infrastructure.  Maybe the initial seed of colonists has to be a certain level, as the above ship works only after a dedicated colony ship did its job.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19514 on: April 13, 2020, 11:40:45 pm »

Relevant first questions:
1. Does the planet you're landing them on have sufficient infrastructure? I have no idea if there's a safety for this or not.
2. Do cargo shuttles work with icecubed colonists?
3. Do you have a preexisting colony on the planet you're trying to land them on?
4. Do you know someone who knows the game better than me, because that's all my ideas :P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 1346