Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1301 1302 [1303]

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 1737911 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19530 on: June 04, 2018, 06:40:50 pm »

Unless, of course, the only way to convince them that their goals are untenable is to crush the enemy and enslave their entire population. But, you know, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few empires.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #19531 on: July 10, 2018, 01:12:14 pm »

Well, more they'll dictate their demands. Watch them demand that a vitally important hub between Sol and the rest of your empire needs to remain empty.
I mean whatever, my SOP was already a coinflip between total extermination or enslavement, so any change is positive change.

Also, going by one of Steve's more recent posts, it sounds like he's tweaked empire AI to stop spamming JP gates everywhere and not suicide endless quantities of commercial shipping into contested systems.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19532 on: July 10, 2018, 05:09:28 pm »

Well, more they'll dictate their demands. Watch them demand that a vitally important hub between Sol and the rest of your empire needs to remain empty.
I mean whatever, my SOP was already a coinflip between total extermination or enslavement, so any change is positive change.

Also, going by one of Steve's more recent posts, it sounds like he's tweaked empire AI to stop spamming JP gates everywhere and not suicide endless quantities of commercial shipping into contested systems.

Aww... But raiding the enemy was so easy with a free highway to their homeworld.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Epicfaillord

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19533 on: July 10, 2018, 08:22:39 pm »

Aww... But raiding the enemy was so easy with a free highway to their homeworld.

If your military ships have jump ships in their squadrons it doesn't matter whether there are jump gates or not. I just build gates on everything with civilian or industrial presence and have my military, scouts, and survey ships use jump drives.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19534 on: July 10, 2018, 09:55:15 pm »

If your military ships have jump ships in their squadrons it doesn't matter whether there are jump gates or not. I just build gates on everything with civilian or industrial presence and have my military, scouts, and survey ships use jump drives.

Yeah but now I'll have to look harder.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19535 on: July 11, 2018, 03:48:09 pm »

You're forgetting the most important part: culling civilians.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Foo, bar, quux, baz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19536 on: September 30, 2018, 10:07:53 pm »

I designed and built my first freighter class that doesn't blow up halfway between Earth and Luna from maintenance failures (I forgot maintenance spaces on my first freighter-designing attempt). Turns out, though, that these freighters are 60,300 tons.

Earth's maintenance facilities are only able to handle ships downward of 13,800 tons.

I'm going to scrap the two freighters to try to prevent system failure. Their maintenance clocks are at 82 right now. Hopefully the scrapping goes quickly.
"Continue struggling, laws of physics be darned."
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19537 on: September 30, 2018, 11:37:35 pm »

Your freighters shouldn't be blowing up, period, unless they're being actively shot at by something. It makes me think that you've accidentally added non-civilian parts to it.

If you have, don't do that - one of the big advantages of civilian parts is that you don't have to worry about maintenance.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19538 on: September 30, 2018, 11:39:12 pm »

What do you put on your freighters to make them military ships? What engines do you use? Haven't played in a while but they should be at least size 25 and with a low power modificator. Maximum of .5 I think. I use size 50 and one regular cargohold for 25 space.

Freighters shouldn't need maintenance at all, because only military ships do.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19539 on: September 30, 2018, 11:42:40 pm »

Why don't you go ahead and post your freighter design. We should be able to spot the problem, and you can then SM the fix.
My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Foo, bar, quux, baz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19540 on: October 01, 2018, 07:23:34 pm »

Your freighters shouldn't be blowing up, period, unless they're being actively shot at by something. It makes me think that you've accidentally added non-civilian parts to it.

If you have, don't do that - one of the big advantages of civilian parts is that you don't have to worry about maintenance.

Freighters shouldn't need maintenance at all, because only military ships do.

Yes and yes. But I ... erm, I built these freighters before I had commercial engines. In fact I only just now have technology for them, which I know because a civilian line started launching some ships.

Why don't you go ahead and post your freighter design. We should be able to spot the problem, and you can then SM the fix.

Will do. I don't have access to Aurora ATM though.
"Continue struggling, laws of physics be darned."
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19541 on: October 01, 2018, 07:45:54 pm »

I don't think you automatically get civilian part designs for your own ships.  But yes, you should design a commercial engine from the start before you build freighters.  You just design an engine with an engine power rating of 0.5 or less and an engine size of 25 or more.  I occasionally find it useful to construct geosurvey ships since geosurvey sensors are also commercial gear, though I'm as liable to go with interchangable geo/grav designs that can be built from the same shipyard or, if I'm feeling more RP-heavy, gravsurvey motherships with light geosurvey parasites. 

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19542 on: October 02, 2018, 02:18:54 pm »

If you have engines, you have conventional engines by default. You just need to design and research them. It is not a special part or anything. It used to be a bit different, but even back then you could always choose to design a commercial engine, iirc.
Any engine size 25+ AND power rating of .5 or less is automatically a commercial engine.
I hardly ever use anything but size 50 (the maximum) for commercial engines, though I might lower the power rating with later techs, once my freighters have decent speed. But I usually still have the .5 engines for other ships that I want to be quicker.

The civvies only care for your engine tech level I think. And Culise is right in that you do not get the engines they designed.
Pages: 1 ... 1301 1302 [1303]