Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1301 1302 [1303] 1304 1305 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2699187 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19530 on: April 14, 2020, 08:56:44 pm »

For this version, you just download a functioning folder, place it where you want, copy the latest patch over it (and overwrite the existing files with it), and then load it up and start a new game.

It's not difficult to install at all, and it SHOULD be stable and nearly bug free so far as the early game goes; at the very least Steve mentioned with the 1.40 patch today that he thinks he's got most of the bugs.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19531 on: April 14, 2020, 08:57:30 pm »

I have an old version of this with the portable installer and never got into it, is this C# version stable enough yet that I can try getting into this again with it? Is the install easier with this version as well?

It's probably about 95% functioning at this point. The game is technically pre-installed - the download for the game I mean. Basically you just download the game, then download the latest patch (v1.4 I think?), delete the .exe and the database file in the base game folder, drag the new .exe and the new database file into the game folder, and you should be good to play. Sorry if that doesn't work, I'm very drunk right now lol.

Madman was quicker than me lol.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19532 on: April 14, 2020, 08:58:13 pm »

Thanks for the quick answers. Seems like this is a good time to try this again then. I remember the old install being a real pain.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19533 on: April 14, 2020, 11:09:43 pm »

It's a true and complete improvement.  I wasn't even able to get the old version working on my computer, no matter what I did.  This version works, and its plenty speedy.

Shame the update borks my current empire, but I had wanted to try out a Conventional Start anyways.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19534 on: April 14, 2020, 11:15:14 pm »

Honestly, with all the changes restarting a bunch of times isn't exactly a hardship.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19535 on: April 15, 2020, 12:22:19 am »

Well, it is faster each time because I know more about what I'm suppose to be doing.

It seems that level1 geological sensors makes a ship military with morale check, yet level2 doesn't.  It's also my first ship, if that means anything.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19536 on: April 15, 2020, 12:33:11 am »

That's a bug. Steve says that all survey systems are supposed to be military.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19537 on: April 15, 2020, 12:37:59 am »

That's a bug. Steve says that all survey systems are supposed to be military.

Well that sucks, but I guess if the military has first dibs on the minerals, the survey ships should be military.  Now, aside from space aboard ship and possible annoyance of the neighbors, any reason not to stick guns/missiles on them?

I just got an event where my Administrative Command Naval Officer died in an accident.  So paperwork can kill you.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19538 on: April 15, 2020, 01:20:15 am »

Even when we have flying cars that autopilot some people will refuse to wear their seatbelt.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #19539 on: April 15, 2020, 06:51:04 am »

How peculiar! I remember in VB6 Aurora that geological sensors were uniquely civilian designs for maintenance purposes. Guess that got nerfed.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #19540 on: April 15, 2020, 07:50:27 am »

Well, considering how TN minerals are, after all, the lifeblood of TN civilisation... You don't leave your lifeblood in the hands of mere civvies, do you. ;)

Judged by the content of the latest bugs thread, I -think- it might just be a good idea to delay any significant commitment to a game for a few more days or maybe a week, now that the ones left are apparently going to be trickier to fix, and there'd probably be a few more breaks in save game compatibility short-term. But I'd be glad to be proven wrong, and Steve had been nothing short of amazing.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19541 on: April 15, 2020, 07:54:34 am »

I just seen quill18 doing a play through on YouTube of the c# version, haven't watched it yet, but was wondering if it's any better and also do you still need to use that janky utility to resize the interface?
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19542 on: April 15, 2020, 08:13:18 am »

Judged by the content of the latest bugs thread, I -think- it might just be a good idea to delay any significant commitment to a game for a few more days or maybe a week, now that the ones left are apparently going to be trickier to fix, and there'd probably be a few more breaks in save game compatibility short-term. But I'd be glad to be proven wrong, and Steve had been nothing short of amazing.
Yeah I've been getting familiar with the changes but any long running games or LP will wait for at least a few more bugfix versions. So far though the experience has been very good, bugs aside. The turns are snappy, the interface is better, etc

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19543 on: April 15, 2020, 09:02:22 am »

How well does the new version run on potatoes?

(Looks like it is at 1.4)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19544 on: April 15, 2020, 09:59:34 am »

Aurora runs on all computers you're likely to have, unless you happen to collect computers from the 90s.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 1301 1302 [1303] 1304 1305 ... 1346