Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2696475 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19545 on: April 15, 2020, 12:03:02 pm »

Just have a big screen.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19546 on: April 15, 2020, 12:20:52 pm »

I just seen quill18 doing a play through on YouTube of the c# version, haven't watched it yet, but was wondering if it's any better and also do you still need to use that janky utility to resize the interface?

That said, regarding utilities to resize the interface, there's good news and bad news.  The good news is you don't run a utility to resize the interface if you're smaller than 1440x900.  The bad news is that this is because there isn't an Aurora-specific utility yet: the old one was particular to VB.  Since I doubt "get a bigger screen" is a worthwhile or helpful option as the most common source of this problem is laptops where you can't just pop out the monitor and put in a new one, Infinite Screen seems to be the going suggestion for janky utilities.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19547 on: April 15, 2020, 12:42:32 pm »

As someone who was just using a (small)TV screen plugged into janky laptop for aurora, you can solong as you have many adapters and/or the laptop is new enough/useful enough to have plugs fer HDMI/VGA, you can go that route.

Also, Quill got their series up allready? I see the vid saying that the C# version was out, but thats it. It behind a "have disposable income" barrier somewhere or something similarly depressing?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19549 on: April 15, 2020, 03:32:18 pm »

It behind a "have disposable income" barrier somewhere or something similarly depressing?

Uh, it's free my dude.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19550 on: April 15, 2020, 03:33:22 pm »

That's the first patch that Chrome tried to stop me from downloading because it's "not commonly downloaded".

On the other hand, while trying to extract the patch from the archive, there was some annoying difficulty of actually getting Aurora.exe to copy into the game folder(it did this with one of the other patches). Simply dragging it from the archive to the folder didn't work. I had to right click the file in the archive, extract to desktop, then right-click drag(because normally dragging defaults to Create Shortcut, not Move) to move it into the folder. Just Windows 10 bullshit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19551 on: April 15, 2020, 03:38:39 pm »

I just delete the files being replaced.  Just the quickest and cleanest way to replace files.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19552 on: April 15, 2020, 03:59:19 pm »

It behind a "have disposable income" barrier somewhere or something similarly depressing?

Uh, it's free my dude.

He was asking if the new quill18 LP was behind a paywall since he could only see the announcement video. The answer is there is no LP yet, the announcement is the LP gomez was referring to. We can expect an actual LP to start soon since he was waiting for all the savegame breaking updates to come out first.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19553 on: April 15, 2020, 04:24:00 pm »

OH. I am big dumb, my humble apologies.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19554 on: April 15, 2020, 04:26:03 pm »

I just delete the files being replaced.  Just the quickest and cleanest way to replace files.

There's some bugs that seem to be linked to not doing this, so deleting all .db files and aurora.exe instead of overwriting is the ideal solution at this point.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19555 on: April 15, 2020, 06:01:09 pm »

My first run on v1.5, I've surveyed all planets from Mercury to Nepune and all moons of them as well. Besides Earth, only Mercury, Venus, Io, Enceladus(moon of Saturn), Portia, Puck(moons of Uranus), and Nereid(moon of Neptune) have minerals. The moons except Io have too little to be economical. No Sorium except for 80k on Earth.

Also, goddamn do I miss having events listed on the main display. Unfortunately, according to Steve removing that was a significant factor in why the C# version runs faster than VB6 Aurora.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19556 on: April 15, 2020, 06:27:52 pm »

Think you misunderstood. He didn't remove that for game speed, he delayed it for development speed. Much like with the missing tooltips, he decided to postpone on-main events to get the first release out faster. It is scheduled for implementation in the first rounds of feature patches, once the worst of the bugs are sorted out.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #19557 on: April 15, 2020, 07:48:38 pm »

And now there's a 1.5.1.

That's 6 patches in 3 4 days. :o
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 08:07:38 pm by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19558 on: April 15, 2020, 09:36:56 pm »

If anyone's interested, I've made new station and race images - stations because, honestly, the default ones that Steve has are pretty poor overall; race because I came across some good pics while trying to find new station graphics, and the other main contributor of new race graphics (Shadow) for whatever reason decided that the entire galaxy is human (or at least bipedal).

Station Graphics: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aPL1a0gk-hiVY51TV7u2rpqlLdReDVgF?usp=sharing
Preview:

Race Graphics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bj2qGhel8JVfVyHYkle0-BIXic9n2Pk3
Preview:

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19559 on: April 15, 2020, 10:42:32 pm »

...Race Graphics
Out of all of these I'd say the egg-yolk with an ಠ_ಠ face is the best by far.

Still stuck designing ships, desperately trying not to fall into this mindset. Weapons layout for the current design calls for three single laser turrets, a railgun, one microwave, and two missile launchers. The weapon sizes will change as I tech up, but is the general layout reasonable for a destroyer or similar middle of the road ship?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.
Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 1346