Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1305 1306 [1307] 1308 1309 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704537 times)

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19590 on: April 16, 2020, 07:22:01 pm »

If you personally want to respect Steve's wishes and play the game vanilla only, you're obviously free to do so, but if others want to mod it, that's their own choice.

I'm sure I'm only rehashing points others have already made.

But when there's already evidently a previous blow-up over this, and the developer had explicitly expressed his wish to not have his game modded - However contrary to the mainstream trends on mods, and however impossible to implement in practice, that is - This is only going to escalate things to where few would really want.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19591 on: April 16, 2020, 10:04:55 pm »

Wow, over 24 hours and no update.  Are we reaching a point of stability?  Who knows!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19592 on: April 16, 2020, 10:24:04 pm »

He spent a big chunk of time dealing with "y u no let me mod" questions on the forum and Discord. That's part of why he's gotten so pissed off about the thing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19593 on: April 16, 2020, 10:26:21 pm »

Followed by a bunch of "y u no share code."  The most crass being "You should upload it to git in case you die."

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19594 on: April 16, 2020, 10:30:51 pm »

I better download v1.5.1 before he takes Aurora off the internet lol

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #19595 on: April 16, 2020, 11:06:21 pm »

I better download v1.5.1 before he takes Aurora off the internet lol

And find out what magic -some- modders and reverse-engineers could weave in place? Yes, please.[/s]

Seriously though, I sure hope it won't end this way, but what I'm not sure is what to expect at this point. :-\
Adept Lurker

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19596 on: April 16, 2020, 11:23:11 pm »

If people keep hassling Steve I have no doubt he'll follow through--that said, alot of this is reddit butthurt kind of stuff so I think it'll blow over pretty soon.

EDIT: Also what kind of backstories are people creating? I might start a Norse theme game, but I'm curious what kind internal RP is going on?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:43:25 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19597 on: April 16, 2020, 11:53:40 pm »

Thanks for linking that night-mode mod, now I can actually play the game without tearing my eyeballs out.

If people keep hassling Steve I have no doubt he'll follow through--that said, alot of this is reddit butthurt kind of stuff so I think it'll blow over pretty soon.

EDIT: Also what kind of backstories are people creating? I might start a Norse theme game, but I'm curious what kind internal RP is going on?

I like to pick a small country and pretend they happened to rise to power through an absolutely ridiculous and unrealistic set of events, and have somehow become the dominant culture of Earth. So, an entirely canadian spaceforce rushing to the stars.

That inspired me to make a dwarven name list for anyone to use, if you haven't made one already. The first names are easy enough to get, but I had to write a short Python script to generate ~500 random last names.

And I have yet to deploy this list, but I have plans for sure. Nicely done Jacen!

Read spoiler if you want an opinion on the mod issue, but after researching it a bit I realize it's a hugely contentious issue on other websites, and it might be best to avoid focusing on it here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:15:38 am by Salmeuk »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19598 on: April 17, 2020, 12:05:30 am »

edit: Check out this post on the pentarch forums.

We've been made aware that that Aurora C# uses some assets from Endless Sky, and i decided to check it out.   It turns out there are some *serious* licensing issues.   Now, the content that is taken from Disney's, Games Workshop's and presumably some other IPs is not really my concern - I'm not lawyer enough to determine whether that is fair use or not.   I would simply advise against taking that wager, since it only serves to make your game more vulnerable to copyright claims.
What i am concerned about is the use of licensed free artwork without proper acknowledgement.

I dunno, but this sounds like a much more concrete issue than any mod..

Easy fix, just take out the art assets, they're not vital to the game.  Players can....mod back in the missing art if they like with total deniability.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19599 on: April 17, 2020, 12:10:23 am »

The next post in that thread is Steve saying he will remove the art assets in question, and presumably he has, so I'm not entirely sure of the problem there. If you're talking about the other assets based off of star wars and star trek, battletech and so on, I'unno. I always assumed those were fanmade and added in with permission, but apparently not.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19600 on: April 17, 2020, 12:19:34 am »

I've helped!

Spoilers is a totally free image that can be used without fear of litigation!

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #19601 on: April 17, 2020, 12:26:48 am »

I for one always wondered what those are doing in there even back in VB6, since they did not seem to help with immersion much in a game otherwise devoid of graphic luxuries. Maybe it's a carryover from Starfire days?

But to each their own, I guess.
Adept Lurker

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19602 on: April 17, 2020, 12:27:59 am »

The racial art assets have been the same for a long time haven't they? Maybe he just forgot about what started out as a WIP thing?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19603 on: April 17, 2020, 12:41:35 am »

I for one always wondered what those are doing in there even back in VB6, since they did not seem to help with immersion much in a game otherwise devoid of graphic luxuries. Maybe it's a carryover from Starfire days?

But to each their own, I guess.

I liked them, but they were always a bit corny.  I mean, its nice to see something when you look upon an alien race, or your own.

The racial art assets have been the same for a long time haven't they? Maybe he just forgot about what started out as a WIP thing?

Probably.

And here is a free Walrus

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19604 on: April 17, 2020, 12:56:16 am »

for some reason I can't resize the completion date bracket in the research screen.

Aurora pulls the date from Windows, so you can eliminate this problem by changing the Windows display setting. In the Date And Time Settings, click "Change Date And Time Formats" and set the Short Date to M/d/yyyy and long date to MMMM d, yyyy. You should now see the completion date for all tasks, and probably won't notice differences anywhere else.

Doesn't work for me, the format stays the same, at least on the colony Industry tab.  Although I can generally see the end date, so long as its not Wednesday.  Gives new meaning to Hump Day.
Pages: 1 ... 1305 1306 [1307] 1308 1309 ... 1346