Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1327 1328 [1329] 1330 1331 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2699958 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19920 on: June 02, 2020, 04:11:17 am »

Pretty sure that was in VB6 Aurora as well.

Here is Steve's reasoning for not increasing beam weapon range.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19921 on: June 02, 2020, 08:35:26 pm »

Pretty sure that was in VB6 Aurora as well.

Here is Steve's reasoning for not increasing beam weapon range.

Extrapolating, beam weapons can't be shot down by Point Defense.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19922 on: June 12, 2020, 11:51:00 am »

Looks like we won't be able completely terraform extremely hot planets anymore in 1.12.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is that a bilinear term I spot? Why, yes it is!

As if piecewise functions and a mystical albedo weren't bad enough! :D

Time to break out the good ol' McCormick envelopes. There's optimization work ahead!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19923 on: June 12, 2020, 11:56:27 am »

I gotta try this again sometime, shit.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19924 on: June 22, 2020, 07:58:07 pm »

In my current game, I've found some ruins from the United States of Tangipahoa on both Europa and a planet in Alpha Centauri - yes this is the same game with the dead-end jumps, I SM'd a random jump point which lead to Alpha Centrauri. And it's a good star system, and I even think I figured out which one might be Planet.

I digress though. I'm beginning to notice that several of my research projects already have a few points put into them. Is this because of what I'm finding in the ruins? Both so far have yielded considerable treasure, especially Europa because I put not only the xenoarchaeology team there but also a total of 30 construction units there. Among the finds has been various, generally more advanced ship components. I did select a few for disassembly on the Stockpile tab, but I'm not quite sure if what I disassembled matched the research topics getting points. If that is where the RP is coming from, I'm going to disassemble the whole lot.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19925 on: June 22, 2020, 08:06:24 pm »

In my current game, I've found some ruins from the United States of Tangipahoa on both Europa and a planet in Alpha Centauri - yes this is the same game with the dead-end jumps, I SM'd a random jump point which lead to Alpha Centrauri. And it's a good star system, and I even think I figured out which one might be Planet.

I digress though. I'm beginning to notice that several of my research projects already have a few points put into them. Is this because of what I'm finding in the ruins? Both so far have yielded considerable treasure, especially Europa because I put not only the xenoarchaeology team there but also a total of 30 construction units there. Among the finds has been various, generally more advanced ship components. I did select a few for disassembly on the Stockpile tab, but I'm not quite sure if what I disassembled matched the research topics getting points. If that is where the RP is coming from, I'm going to disassemble the whole lot.

I *think* you get research itself from the ruins.  I also *think* that what you get from disassembling ship components is RP for the next TL tech, if it does not exceed the TL of the ship component being disassembled, irregardless of how advanced the component might be.

Your event log should have more details.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19926 on: June 23, 2020, 04:53:38 am »

I was clicking through increments too fast to notice, although I did see one that appeared on the tactical map after dragging the map. That same increment I did start a new research project as one had just finished, but the research topic that gained points was entirely unrelated to the ones I had just started and finished. In fact, it was an engine design I didn't create and don't have access to.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19927 on: June 23, 2020, 02:23:47 pm »

I was clicking through increments too fast to notice, although I did see one that appeared on the tactical map after dragging the map. That same increment I did start a new research project as one had just finished, but the research topic that gained points was entirely unrelated to the ones I had just started and finished. In fact, it was an engine design I didn't create and don't have access to.

Sounds like the ruins gave you a couple points in that tech, but if you took apart a missile, you might also get engine tech points.  Changing missiles and engines to use the same tech rather than separate techs was one of the changes in the conversion to C#

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19928 on: June 23, 2020, 06:21:00 pm »

Stupid question, but how do I move scientists to a different planet? One of the things on Europa was a construct that gives +70% to construction research performed there.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19929 on: June 23, 2020, 06:24:39 pm »

With the caveat that I haven't done so in the newest version, afaik the only thing you need to worry about is where your labs are. Your scientists should be able to work on any planet - it's one of the situations where it's assumed that your bureaucrats foresaw your actions and packed the scientist into a shuttle before you gave the order.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19930 on: June 23, 2020, 06:35:32 pm »

Wow, I really am an idiot, and failed to notice that my roster of available scientists is still there even when selecting a different colony.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19931 on: June 28, 2020, 09:26:08 am »

Starting to get to the point where I can think about getting warships.

Here's a battleship:
Code: [Select]
Invincible class Battleship      24,141 tons       427 Crew       4,202 BP       TCS 483    TH 538    EM 1,650
3181 km/s      Armour 15-74       Shields 55-550       HTK 159      Sensors 16/16/0/0      DCR 12      PPV 68
Maint Life 1.22 Years     MSP 2,217    AFR 2331%    IFR 32.4%    1YR 1,546    5YR 23,183    Max Repair 262.5 MSP
Troop Capacity 1,000 tons     Boarding Capable    Magazine 544   
Captain    Control Rating 3   BRG   AUX   ENG   
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Morale Check Required   

Magneto-plasma Drive  EP192.00 (8)    Power 1536.0    Fuel Use 45.64%    Signature 67.2000    Explosion 10%
Fuel Capacity 6,000,000 Litres    Range 98 billion km (356 days at full power)
Epsilon S55 / R550 Shields (1)     Recharge Time 550 seconds (0.1 per second)

20cm C5 Ultraviolet Laser (4)    Range 128,000km     TS: 4,000 km/s     Power 10-5     RM 40,000 km    ROF 10       
10cm C3 Ultraviolet Laser (4)    Range 120,000km     TS: 4,000 km/s     Power 3-3     RM 40,000 km    ROF 5       
Beam Fire Control R128-TS4000L (50%) (1)     Max Range: 128,000 km   TS: 4,000 km/s     92 84 77 69 61 53 45 38 30 22
Stellarator Fusion Reactor R5 0.85 (4)     Total Power Output 20    Exp 5%
Stellarator Fusion Reactor R3 0.60 (4)     Total Power Output 12    Exp 5%

Size 4.0 Missile Launcher R4 (8)     Missile Size: 4    Rate of Fire 15
Missile Fire Control FC53-R30 (50%) (1)     Range 53.3m km    Resolution 30

Active Search Sensor AS158-R200 (50%) (1)     GPS 42000     Range 158.6m km    Resolution 200
Thermal Sensor TH1.5-16.5 (50%) (1)     Sensitivity 16.5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  32.1m km
EM Sensor EM1.5-16.5 (50%) (1)     Sensitivity 16.5     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  32.1m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

First off, the BFC isn't good enough for the 20cm lasers. I can't even design one yet that takes advantage of the full range(400,000km). Unfortunately, it'll be over two years before my sensors scientist will finish the next level of BFC range, and if my math is right, the next level(80km base range) won't be enough. I'm thinking of changing the 10cm lasers to twin-turreted lasers; they're intended for point-defense. The missile launcher and magazine designs are fairly old, but the missile I've kept updated, and is, in my opinion, decent. The sensors are basic designs I threw together since I haven't figured out the various nuances of sensor design.

Fuel might be an issue, as my current annual production rate is around 30m litres, produced on a set of refinery platforms on Uranus. As for power, right now I'm using reactors to match weapons, and thus they're small. Would it be better to use a bigger one to handle all weapons? I also did just unlock Tokamaks, so upgrading is possible.

PRE-EDIT: Something I did while tweaking for this post caused the incremental failure rate to shoot up. Guess I gotta add more engineering space.

Missile design:
Missile Size: 4.00 MSP  (10.000 Tons)     Warhead: 6    Radiation Damage: 6    Manoeuvre Rating: 25
Speed: 24,000 km/s     Fuel: 625     Flight Time: 56 minutes     Range: 80.19m km
Cost Per Missile: 5.10     Development Cost: 510
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 600%   3k km/s 200%   5k km/s 120.0%   10k km/s 60.0%

Materials Required
Tritanium  1.5
Gallicite  3.60
Fuel:  625

And on the opposite side of the ship tonnage spectrum, here's an interceptor:
River class Interceptor      424 tons       22 Crew       122.3 BP       TCS 8    TH 14    EM 0
4726 km/s      Armour 7-5       Shields 0-0       HTK 2      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 3
Maint Life 8.01 Years     MSP 36    AFR 7%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 1    5YR 15    Max Repair 35 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 1.5 days    Morale Check Required   

Magneto-plasma Fighter Drive  EP40.00 (1)    Power 40    Fuel Use 1562.50%    Signature 14.00    Explosion 25%
Fuel Capacity 30,000 Litres    Range 0.8 billion km (48 hours at full power)

R60/C3 Meson Cannon (1)    Range 60,000km     TS: 4,726 km/s     Power 3-3     RM 60,000 km    ROF 5       
Beam Fire Control R64-TS4200M (50%) (1)     Max Range: 64,000 km   TS: 4,200 km/s     84 69 53 38 22 6 0 0 0 0
Stellarator Fusion Reactor R3 0.60 (1)     Total Power Output 3    Exp 5%

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction

This isn't going to be the sole fighter design, of course. There is actually a lot of wiggle room here to tweak the armor, speed, or maybe weapons here, though if I go for more speed I'll have to use a bigger, speedier BFC. I went with mesons because of armor penetration - despite the meson nerf, a few levels into countering armor retardation should still allow a few hits through. I'm fairly certain that if I threw equal tonnages of the interceptor at the above battleship, the interceptors would probably win.

Now that I think about it, that's a feature I wouldn't mind seeing. Designating a ship as a derelict or training target and allowing other ships of yours to attack it for either design testing or crew training.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19932 on: June 28, 2020, 10:04:04 am »

Getting the PD lasers in turrets is absolutely a good idea, with only 4km/s tracking speed they aren't going to be very effective at hitting missiles. Even without that upgrade, I recommend separate fire controls for PD and anti-ship lasers, since you'll be able to have them shoot at their designated targets simultaneously, instead of having at least a 5s increment when the main lasers are shooting at something outside the range of the PD weapons, and all the micro that involves (and a slight bit of redundancy, so your beams aren't completely neutered by losing a single component, but that's very secondary).

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19933 on: June 28, 2020, 01:05:10 pm »

I'm concerned about the speed of that battleship. You might find it difficult to get/stay in range. I don't remember the typical Magneto-Plasma speed I use but I think it was around 7500-10000 km/s.

Armor level might be overkill at your tech level. At that tech level, I expect penetration depth to be no more than 6, usually 4-5. Combined with shields, you could probably convert some of that space into a more powerful engine. Granted, brawlers do need more armor than usual due to lasers (and later particle lances). But at that speed, you probably won't be brawling much.

As for the reactors, it's redundancy vs space efficiency (with explosive risk). I haven't gone crazy on high-powered weapons, so space isn't usually the biggest issue. I usually just stick to either having one reactor per weapon or a bunch of small standard power reactors.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19934 on: June 28, 2020, 01:40:24 pm »

First off, the BFC isn't good enough for the 20cm lasers.

Don't get your hopes up in thinking it will ever catch up. Lasers just outrange the BFCs. I think in the end tech lasers reach something like 4 million kms, while BFCs are stuck at 1 million. So just treat the lasers as getting more damage, not more range.
Pages: 1 ... 1327 1328 [1329] 1330 1331 ... 1346