Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672556 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19965 on: July 30, 2020, 11:46:07 am »

Same, it is ok to handle important colonies, but all those cmcs, and colonies that you only establish to have a maintenance and refueling station with a couple million inhabitants were really annoying. Even if they just cluttered the list. (And if you are buying the minerals adding a mining gouverneur is basically free ore.)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19966 on: July 30, 2020, 12:39:53 pm »

Has anyone else been having piles of problems getting tankers to refuel fleets that are outta fuel without putting some tankers in said fleet, having others near it, and essentially having them do every tanker-related thing in both fleets to the others? I just cant get tanker refueling to make sense to me.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19967 on: July 30, 2020, 02:51:25 pm »

yeah, easiest solution for me seems to be to tell the empty fleet to refuel from stationary tankers. That one works. The tankers in question must have no orders, even following another stationary fleet at 0 is too much.
Refueling while in fleet has sometimes worked, mostly it hasn't. No matter if it was in the fleet proper or a subfleet, and no matter what I selected at the ship screen in the fleet (where you can tell it to refuel own (sub) fleet).

Same problem with maintenance supplies, and there is no "get supplies from stationary support ship" order. I had to wait until I had built a jumpgate and tow the ship.

Haven't used colliers yet, I wonder if they have the same issues.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19968 on: July 30, 2020, 03:28:57 pm »

Has anyone else been having piles of problems getting tankers to refuel fleets that are outta fuel without putting some tankers in said fleet, having others near it, and essentially having them do every tanker-related thing in both fleets to the others? I just cant get tanker refueling to make sense to me.
Yeah, I've found it especially annoying because you send the tanker to the fleet, but then you have to order the fleet to refuel from the tanker. Why isn't there a "refuel this fleet" command?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19969 on: July 30, 2020, 05:52:33 pm »

The problem with in place tankers goes away if you clear all orders from the fleet. The issue is that they'll take on a little fuel, then start trying to execute their orders which ends the refuelling and then they run out of fuel.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19970 on: July 31, 2020, 01:16:38 pm »

The problem with in place tankers goes away if you clear all orders from the fleet. The issue is that they'll take on a little fuel, then start trying to execute their orders which ends the refuelling and then they run out of fuel.

I was going to say this. Had this problem myself.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19971 on: July 31, 2020, 07:42:30 pm »

There is an underway refueling techline, which is meant to allow a tanker that is part of a fleet to refuel the fleet while they are moving. Unfortunately a bug has been reported in which it apparently isn't saved properly, so after reloading you have to research the next tech for it to work again. Without that bug you'd be able to send the tanker to merge with the fleet, detaching it whenever you need increased speed, the tanker runs low on fuel, or you get into danger.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19972 on: August 04, 2020, 10:36:58 pm »

So making my first jump capable grav survey ship. Sent it a standard transition order through a jump point. Its the only ship in the fleet.

https://imgur.com/a/oLzSNEt
Link to the transit failure and the ship design. The jump drive is military. The engine is civilian.

Wait, can it not jump itself with civilian engines even though its jump drive can encompass the ship?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:38:49 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19973 on: August 05, 2020, 03:42:18 am »

Yeah, military jump drives are needed for military engines and vice versa. Military engines can't jump everything anymore.

Use military engines. YOur design could be a lot smaller and faster. You have a deployment time of 300 months but that ship will need to be overhauled roughly every 2 years (unless you don't play with maintenance) and because it is slow it will spend a lot of that time in transit. Mind, that is a problem with all early explorers, military engine or no.
While military engines use a lot more fuel in my experience they are better for survey ships. You can build them with 70-80% power to save on fuel and still get decent power.

My survey ships are usually in the 6500-8000t range and mostly carry grav and geo sensors. Though that last thing comes down to preference.

Edit: That jump drive must have been expensive to research at your state!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:44:50 am by Rince Wind »

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19974 on: August 05, 2020, 03:06:19 pm »

Is there a way to get auto-assign to assign commanders even if they don't have the relevant traits? I recall commanders tend to gain experience if they're assigned, so it kinda annoys me that I have all these vacant spots and all these commanders doing nothing. One of the changes from VB6 I don't like, at all
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19975 on: August 05, 2020, 04:19:21 pm »

No, unfortunately not. Though unassigned commanders get XP now as well, but it doesn't help that much.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19976 on: August 07, 2020, 04:51:28 am »

So I designed a Ground Unit, with a Medium Vehicle HQ with GeoSurvey equipment. And then made Infantry with GeoSurvey stuff.
I made the Formation Template and built them.
Designed a troop transport big enough to ferry them around.
And now have Geo Survey Ground unit on Venus.

So do you tell if they're doing anything?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19977 on: August 07, 2020, 05:04:39 am »

First, a planet needs to have been orbital-surveyed and that survey needs to have shown that a ground survey is possible - this is shown in the planet list screen as a number next to the M that shows a planet has minerals (ie "M4" means minerals and a high ground survey potential). It's also possible that an orbital survey won't find minerals but will find a ground survey potential, in which case a ground survey can still find minerals. I'm not actually sure if the survey ground forces can do the initial orbital survey themselves - if they did I would assume that it generates SP/day based on its survey rating, but I don't know how to check their progress if they do that. I don't think that they can, though.

As for the ground survey itself, it costs the same amount of SP as the orbital survey, except that SP is generated per day rather than per hour.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19978 on: August 07, 2020, 05:42:08 am »

So Venus was Survey Minimal. Though I dont see any SP generation. But its Aurora, so why would its UI help me.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #19979 on: August 07, 2020, 08:09:47 am »

So Venus was Survey Minimal. Though I dont see any SP generation. But its Aurora, so why would its UI help me.

Imagine Aurora in ASCII.

Actually, that'd be beautiful. At least all the ships etc.
Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 1346