Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1332 1333 [1334] 1335 1336 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2673019 times)

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #19995 on: August 11, 2020, 09:41:40 pm »

That’s all you can do really. I found video tutorials to be fantastic, personally, and they’re how I got into the game. Obviously, I understand some people learn better through text/doing it themselves.

Anyways, how do I tell how much range my thermal sensors will be? Every time I design thermals, I can never find a range, only a sensor strength.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19996 on: August 11, 2020, 10:23:56 pm »

I never really got into aurora but have been meaning to, what's this C# thing everyone's talking about?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19997 on: August 11, 2020, 11:18:34 pm »

C# is a programming language.

Older versions of Aurora were coded in Visual Basic, a language intended for beginners and non-coders that occasionally need a custom script. One of the primary uses of VB was programming macros in Office products, to give some reference to the intended use case. This made it slow, buggy as shit, and contributed a lot of jank.

So Steve's spent the last several years with a ground up rewrite into C#. This is a massive improvement software-wise (apart from some bugs), but it hasn't eliminated all of the jank, and his ...unique design style persists.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19998 on: August 12, 2020, 01:13:21 am »

Luckily, Steve finally relented on the 'absolutely no mods' ban, and there are approved mods now located on the forum, and the launcher mod also allows fixing the window colors to whatever you find more readable.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19999 on: August 12, 2020, 07:26:19 am »

Too bad his mod rules looks like he won't be allowing anything that eliminates needless complexity.  I ran into the commercial/military jump engine thing, which put a serious damper on my exploration of epsilon eridani.  I finally said fuck it and cheated self-only drives onto my survey ships and accelerated my plans to stabilize the jump point.  It seems like the system is empty, so should be fine.  Meanwhile confirming the terrestrial planet's got a ton of minerals and getting ready to bring freighters through to start terraforming (Just needs more oxygen and a bit of cooling and it'll be 0 colony cost).  Been doing a lot of cheat upgrades on my ships to change them mid-flight, as the game doesn't really tell you what ship capabilities should be.  Whatever.
Shoes...

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20000 on: August 12, 2020, 08:44:19 am »

Ehh, that's perfectly fine.  SM is there to fix mistakes, fix bugs, test things, make scenarios and more.

I almost never turn it off.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20001 on: August 12, 2020, 09:31:00 am »

Yep, it's all fun and games until you notice that your combat ships are missing sensors (or fire controls, engineering, or missile storage) or that your cargo/colony ships are missing shuttle bays (just to name a few I've run into).

Given the time/expenses involved in designing, researching, outfitting shipyards, etc. I think it's an acceptable cheat to add in missing/incorrect features that someone surely would have noticed in the several in-game years between blueprints and ships in space if you weren't running everything on your own.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20002 on: August 12, 2020, 03:54:34 pm »

Agreed, I think that is how most people approach the game.  Eventually you've figured most things out, and you only need to fix the occasional missing fuel tanks or whatever.

The wiki has been updated (for the most part), and most of the C# changes have been documented (somewhat) on the forums.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20003 on: August 12, 2020, 07:50:20 pm »

So, I spent 50,000 research on genetic engineering, built up a couple facilities for it, couldn't find in the UI where that happens now... and discovered that it's not added yet. That's kinda annoying.

Any way to SM a second species into my empire?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20004 on: August 12, 2020, 08:14:03 pm »

Create a new race on a planet, and conquer it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20005 on: August 12, 2020, 09:07:29 pm »

Welp, I finally gave up and turned on auto-stabilized jump points.  The JP mechanics are just a gigantic headache and I"m tired of wasting time on them.  Maybe when I get things figured out and start a new game I'll turn them back on, but for now I'd rather get back to puzzling my way through and stop wasting literal hours trying to manage portal logistics.  Time to send my scout ships through the next JP and see what we find.
Shoes...

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #20006 on: August 12, 2020, 09:31:58 pm »

Welp, I finally gave up and turned on auto-stabilized jump points.  The JP mechanics are just a gigantic headache and I"m tired of wasting time on them.  Maybe when I get things figured out and start a new game I'll turn them back on, but for now I'd rather get back to puzzling my way through and stop wasting literal hours trying to manage portal logistics.  Time to send my scout ships through the next JP and see what we find.
My way of dealing with jump points is to make a jump engine for three stock sizes (Large commercial, Large military, and Small military) and always attach them to the relevant task groups. They make good tankers and supply ships too, if you want to fill the space out with something.
Because the commercial ones don't suffer maintenance either, you can park them on jump points indefinitely and not waste fuel on commonly used jump points until you've got a ship to stabilize it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20007 on: August 13, 2020, 12:53:16 am »

Massed Jump point constructor ships are also a good solution, but that does require one jump capable ship for scouting.
EDIT: Actually, scouting is optional.  And I didn't see the last part of iceball3's comment, good ideas there.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20008 on: August 13, 2020, 07:57:59 am »

I ended up starting a new game, the jump point change in mid-game didn't work.  My main problem was that the jump mechanics weren't working the way they're apparently supposed to.  I had jump ships on the points but they weren't allowing other fleets to transit.  In retrospect I think maybe I had too many ships in one fleet, but it feels like they should've been smart enough to stagger jumps instead of making me split them.

In any case, it was a giant micromanagement headache and I'm having more fun with this new game.
Shoes...

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20009 on: August 13, 2020, 11:21:20 am »

Same. I’m not the kind of guy who really enjoys micromanaging all that much so I’m even considering turning off ship maintenance because, for me personally, it doesn’t really add any enjoyment.
Pages: 1 ... 1332 1333 [1334] 1335 1336 ... 1346