Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335] 1336 1337 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2673037 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #20010 on: August 13, 2020, 01:10:20 pm »

I ended up starting a new game, the jump point change in mid-game didn't work.  My main problem was that the jump mechanics weren't working the way they're apparently supposed to.  I had jump ships on the points but they weren't allowing other fleets to transit.  In retrospect I think maybe I had too many ships in one fleet, but it feels like they should've been smart enough to stagger jumps instead of making me split them.

In any case, it was a giant micromanagement headache and I'm having more fun with this new game.

Military Drives can only jump military ships and commercial ones only commercial ones.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20011 on: August 13, 2020, 01:52:57 pm »

I ended up starting a new game, the jump point change in mid-game didn't work.  My main problem was that the jump mechanics weren't working the way they're apparently supposed to.  I had jump ships on the points but they weren't allowing other fleets to transit.  In retrospect I think maybe I had too many ships in one fleet, but it feels like they should've been smart enough to stagger jumps instead of making me split them.

In any case, it was a giant micromanagement headache and I'm having more fun with this new game.

Military Drives can only jump military ships and commercial ones only commercial ones.
That's not strictly true - Military Drives can only jump military engines. If you've got military ships with commercial engines (my exploration ships tend to be this), they can use commercial jump tenders.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #20012 on: August 13, 2020, 08:54:54 pm »

Additionally a ship whose non-jump engines are flagged as military cannot transit a jump point using a wormhole generated by a commercial jump drive. Military engines create instabilities in the wormhole stabilization field generated by a commercial jump drive and collapse it. On the other hand, commercial-engined ships can transit a wormhole opened by a military jump drive, but this scenario is pretty rare. Military jump drives tend to only support smaller ships, and ships with commercial engines tend to be larger than the capabilities of the military jump drive.
If I'm not mistaken, even with the designation looking at engines only now, it should still have similar logic as before. That being, you can just make a really big military jumpship and use it as a "use in all cases" tender, if you really want to simplify the logistics. That's assuming the above is true, and asusming steve didn't make military drives military (they were commercial designs in VB6). I might as well finally grab C# aurroa and give it a spin to test.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20013 on: August 13, 2020, 09:40:41 pm »

Military drives can no longer jump civilian ones, unike VB6.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #20014 on: August 13, 2020, 10:26:28 pm »

Military drives can no longer jump civilian ones, unike VB6.
Just tested and you're right! What a shame.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20015 on: August 14, 2020, 12:26:34 am »

Started another new game, tired of doing the pseudo-british setup and the game doesn't suit my preferred sci-fi naming convention where modern ethnicities no longer really exist and people's names are randomly ethnic, like Manuel Pavlov.  America is the closest but still doesn't really feel futuristic.

So now I'm the reformed Roman Empire.Going reasonably well so far.

I quit the last game because after exploring like eight systems only one aside from Sol had any planets in it, and JPs were generally arranged so there was no way to transit to interesting systems without  multiple very long trips through empty systems.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:39:09 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20016 on: August 14, 2020, 05:13:54 am »

I am in the year 2107. I have recently (september 2105) built a Hathor station. It is a massive construction, designed to terraform Venus type planets quickly. It has 1000 Terraform modules and even a fleet of tug boats was very slow with it.

Now I am able to remove 2 atm of CO2 a year, but every so ofter, the Venus Environment window complains that a variable is too large or small for a decimal.

About the complexity, I would like if targetting systems were integrated into weapon systems (as are thermal reduction into engines), and Jump engines into regular engines. This would make sense from a design perspective anyway, as any ship with targetting systems will want a weapon system of the same category and any ship with a jump engine will likely want a regular engine of the same category.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20017 on: August 14, 2020, 05:54:17 am »

Is your decimal seperator a , or a .?
Though if you haven't run into problems with this before it should be set up correctly.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20018 on: August 14, 2020, 06:31:40 am »

Depends on what language I set my keyboard as. This could be the issue.

English goes into ".", czech and russian into ",".

Edit: I tried switching keyboard after it appeared, the error stopped popping. So system decimal sign is ",". And the error could be caused by the game using the keyboard decimal sign (what is written by the "del" key) for a decimal variable.
Edit2: I was mistaken. Neither language will prevent it. It did not appear because the environment tab was closed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 08:14:37 am by Mathel »
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20019 on: August 14, 2020, 08:10:27 am »

Yeah, I recall that error being mentioned on Aurora's boards.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20020 on: August 14, 2020, 08:23:27 am »

But the weird thing is, even with the Venus Environment open, it does not appear every time increment. And it never appears without it open.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20021 on: August 14, 2020, 08:35:43 am »

Its not a bug specific to your scenario, but rather a bug that pops up in several areas, from what I recall reading on the forums.  I'm guessing if you kept playing without the English keyboard, you'd find more errors in other areas of the game.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20022 on: August 14, 2020, 09:23:31 am »

But it still only ever pops out on Venus, and not every time increment at that. I get if something bad got into the variables, but it is strange that it only started affecting my game at that point and it does not affect it always.
Not impossible, as weird bugs happen, but still strange.

Edit: Oh snap. I have now reached a point where not 100% of the colonists are forced to work on surviving. (that was reached when the Hathor arrived, technicaly, as it has some orbital habitats, but now even surface dwellers can do other things.) But trying to give them any work to do just results in the bug popping up twice and no order being set. I guess the error has something with that.

Do you think that deleting the colony and putting it back would fix it? I know it would not remove current atmosphere and I could save most objects (other than some infrastructure).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 09:36:26 am by Mathel »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20023 on: August 14, 2020, 09:13:43 pm »

So system decimal sign is ",".

That is the problem.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10637.0

"Aurora is a hobby project coded for use on a UK computer. Therefore, you will need to change your decimal separator to a period, rather than a comma, for optimum performance. Otherwise you will suffer invalid string errors." [underline and bold in the original]

This is not controlled by the keyboard but by the system language settings.  Not sure how to do it on windows (presumbably you're using) but there will be a setting.  Strongly suggest using GB_english rather than US_english for best results.  Personally on linux I had problems with the date format until I started setting the lanuguage variable ("LANG=en_GB.UTF-8") when launching.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20024 on: August 15, 2020, 01:38:07 pm »

I know some programming, though not in C#.
So I am not sure if C# requires mixing string and numerical variables or if it is a mistake of the programmer. What I do know is, that it should not pull the system decimal sign, but insert whichever it needs by itself. That way, this error could not occur in variables not filled by the player (about which the player would be warned when filling them).

And yes, I am using win 10. In czech region, so system decimal sign is indeed comma. I can change the whole region, which I did. But I suspect it will not fix the already corrupt variable.

So my question stands. Is it likely that deleting the population of Venus will clear the variable?
Pages: 1 ... 1333 1334 [1335] 1336 1337 ... 1346