Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1334 1335 [1336] 1337 1338 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672282 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #20025 on: August 15, 2020, 02:35:46 pm »

I know some programming, though not in C#.
So I am not sure if C# requires mixing string and numerical variables or if it is a mistake of the programmer. What I do know is, that it should not pull the system decimal sign, but insert whichever it needs by itself. That way, this error could not occur in variables not filled by the player (about which the player would be warned when filling them).

And yes, I am using win 10. In czech region, so system decimal sign is indeed comma. I can change the whole region, which I did. But I suspect it will not fix the already corrupt variable.

So my question stands. Is it likely that deleting the population of Venus will clear the variable?

100% programmer is using text fields for numbers and using a in-house conversion function; number input hasn't been a problem since idk, windows 1.11? I definitely remember 3.1 having number inputs with regional support

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20026 on: August 15, 2020, 02:55:35 pm »

I think I read that it won't be a problem from the next version on.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20027 on: August 15, 2020, 03:45:41 pm »

Considering a lot of the number fields are giant dropdowns with an option for every single significant figure, I have a bad feeling a lot of the math in the game is hardcoded.

I realized I've been playing for almost two weeks and haven't seen a single enemy contact or fired any weapons outside of unarmed sensor missiles.  So I dunno how much longer I'll be playing, considering there's similar elaborate wargames where you occasionally get to do the war part.
Shoes...

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20028 on: August 15, 2020, 05:25:28 pm »

If you want some action, set the NPR generation chance to 100 and go exploring. You'll run into something to shoot before too long. I think you can change that in a game already in progress?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20029 on: August 15, 2020, 05:50:33 pm »

I almost never play with NPR chance below 80%.  It means that 1/5 worlds that could be habitable with little to no terraforming won't have inhabitants, the rest will.  Sometimes I'll start it at 100 and drop it to 80 after awhile.

The default is way to low, if you like/want to fight.  Which I do.
Also play smaller games with 3-5 pre-genned NPRs.

Now that energy weapons pass through atmosphere in C# I can wright the terms of their integration into the empire/federation/single voter republic onto a continental sheet.  Hard to forget your terms of surrender when you have to commute through it to get to work everyday.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20030 on: August 15, 2020, 06:47:03 pm »

Maybe I'll try a new game like that, not really hyped about the romans now. 

Also, just in general, how does invading a planet work?  I figure you need to be in orbit to land, but do ships need to be in orbit to bombard?  Because my current game I've got eight 15cm lasers and sixteen 10cm point-defense lasers on Earth.  If you have to get into point blank range to attack a planet that seems pretty ugly.
Shoes...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #20031 on: August 15, 2020, 07:10:27 pm »

orbital support is ineffective as of now and there's a couple bugs with supply points on top.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20032 on: August 15, 2020, 08:22:11 pm »

If you want some action, set the NPR generation chance to 100 and go exploring. You'll run into something to shoot before too long. I think you can change that in a game already in progress?

Also, if you have "Real Stars" checkmarked you get many fewer systems capable of supporting an NPR in the first place.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20033 on: August 15, 2020, 08:58:09 pm »

When was the last time anyone saw Earth getting attacked?  It seem pretty unlikely to me, so I probably wouldn't suggest putting too much into Terran defenses.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20034 on: August 16, 2020, 05:08:24 pm »

Defences are movable anyway. So you can always get them to a front with troop transporters if you really need to.
As Earth is also my fleethub, I don't usually have a lot of ground to orbital troops there, but at least it isn't fixed equipment.

To invade a planet that has anti ship guns is currently easy. They are bugged and never turn on their inbuilt active sensors, so if you destroyed all ship and orbitalstation based actives you can land in relative peace.

The actual combat on the ground is more difficult, if the enemy has sufficient forces. If the planet has special terrain or other features that make fighting harder it really pays to have specialized troops.
The first wave(s) should land via dropship. Those can be civilan. Once you have a beachhead you can use regular transporters to bring down more troops and supplies. Supplies are really important, bring more.
If there are adverse conditions, bring even more supplies. And more troops. If the enemy has a tech advantage, well you get it. If the tech advantage is on your side you can bring fewer troops, but they'll still need enough ammo to kill all the enemies. Well, you can still fight without supplies, defence isn't compromised and you shoot at 1/4 the regular rate, iirc.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20035 on: August 18, 2020, 08:03:47 pm »

Aurora: The new WH 40K simulator.  For the Emperah!

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20036 on: August 24, 2020, 03:01:20 pm »

Btw does AI use fighters and carriers in current C# version? I recall that I don't think they use them for ground support yet, but they were in for the final release of VB6, so I'm hoping that feature wasn't lost in the transition
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20037 on: August 24, 2020, 03:10:46 pm »

Btw does AI use fighters and carriers in current C# version? I recall that I don't think they use them for ground support yet, but they were in for the final release of VB6, so I'm hoping that feature wasn't lost in the transition
One of the spoilers still does.  I don't think the NPR's had carriers added to their repertoire, if they do use them it's rare from my experience.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20038 on: August 24, 2020, 04:55:29 pm »

I know some programming, though not in C#.
So I am not sure if C# requires mixing string and numerical variables or if it is a mistake of the programmer. What I do know is, that it should not pull the system decimal sign, but insert whichever it needs by itself. That way, this error could not occur in variables not filled by the player (about which the player would be warned when filling them).

And yes, I am using win 10. In czech region, so system decimal sign is indeed comma. I can change the whole region, which I did. But I suspect it will not fix the already corrupt variable.

So my question stands. Is it likely that deleting the population of Venus will clear the variable?

I had a decimal issue (some numbers were way too big, including research and production) and after changing the system decimal, the issue remained until I started a new game.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20039 on: August 25, 2020, 10:12:08 am »

Well as much as I like this game in concept and play...

The UI is just too much of a slag. Cant handle it. I feel like I am fiddling with window sizes, and misclicking things. I even went and tried to play with two monitors to see if that would help with things... but no. It just makes it a slog in other ways. Ah well. Maybe try again when I get a laptop with a bigger screen.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 1334 1335 [1336] 1337 1338 ... 1346