Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1339 1340 [1341] 1342 1343 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704713 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #20100 on: August 06, 2022, 11:14:02 pm »

Currently, the game runs too slow for me to play. More modern systems might run it quicker.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20101 on: August 07, 2022, 02:54:46 am »

Did they fix the bug where having wrong windows localisation would cause values to be automatically filled with the wrong decimal mark, causing problems down the line?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20102 on: August 07, 2022, 01:05:29 pm »

no sh*t thats awesome. lets see what changed:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.0

highlights for me:

Comets in Sol system will now start at a random distance.
There is a rare chance of encountering large or very large comets.
Automated Damage Control is now the default for new ships. It can be unset by players as needed for detailed control.
Gauss turrets are now researched under Missiles and Kinetic, rather than Energy Weapons.

I have not tested any improved performance.

The increased complexity utterly defeats any improvements made in performance. But then again, let's see what happens in the next few weeks with the  various bugfixes.

yeah I was trying to be positive, but Aurora is very much like DF, in that the dev has an idiosyncratic style that somewhat stymies progress. or so it seems. Aurora dev's reaction to modifications making the exact improvements that he needs to make to the U.I. are what really turned me away from following his updates too closely. yeesh talk about the irony of hard-coding a 'free market' in your game only to. . dish on that exact thing irl

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20103 on: August 07, 2022, 02:34:46 pm »

Yeah, Aurora has always been the sort of game where conceptually it's interesting and I like a good deal of the mechanics, but I wish it were more open and I could just... add the things that I want to it, rather than being so constrained.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20104 on: August 07, 2022, 10:41:06 pm »

yoooo it just dropped.

Gonna wait out the inevitable bugstorm but I've had an itching to try a forum interactive playthrough of this, maybe try to flex my creative writing muscles again, and was waiting for 2.0

This is actually the most impact I think I've ever had on a game's development process, though. I made a few posts on the Aurora forum about wanting to be able to pull habitats around to do a nomadic playthrough and Steve actually came through and implemented Ark Modules, so that's kinda nice.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20105 on: August 07, 2022, 11:07:00 pm »

Yeah, Aurora has always been the sort of game where conceptually it's interesting and I like a good deal of the mechanics, but I wish it were more open and I could just... add the things that I want to it, rather than being so constrained.
Yeah, can agree with that. I generally give up once I get to the "Designing military" bit of it. Just find the whole process takes the complexity over the edge into tedium.

Hell, a ship and component designs automator would make it a lot better for me.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20106 on: August 08, 2022, 12:20:01 am »

For me it's... sorta the opposite? Not entirely though. I don't necessarily want more drawn-out complexity for ground force design. Rather, I want more control over the command structure and whatnot. Aurora's command structure is incredibly rigid, and there's very little representation beyond direct control roles.

As for ships, components, and ground forces, I like the detail but do agree that having some amount of automation to make it easier to just... have the detail already provided would be nice. Still get the interesting quirks and nuance, but without having to draw it all up yourself. Especially when the systems require so many critical subsystems, and that forgetting one leaves you with something outright useless. Just, like, let me rely on industry to provide components and then it's just plug-and-play with whatever they provided. Maybe with some degree of requesting specific improvements that they can work on. That way instead of designing turrets at the cutting edge of technology, I have to wait for industry leaders (perhaps with some funding incentive options?) to improve their designs. While I no longer necessarily have a direct thumb on the output of research, it'll at least take a good deal of the calculating out of my hands.

Lemme control the big picture. I'm fine with details in the little picture, but let the game fill those in with nuanced reasoning. Sorta like ship control. I don't want to be having to dictate the movements of every single ship in every single fleet at any given moment (especially during combat); let my captains actually captain. I want them to make decisions too, not just be modifier bonuses with a name.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20107 on: August 08, 2022, 12:49:40 am »

For me it's... sorta the opposite? Not entirely though. I don't necessarily want more drawn-out complexity for ground force design. Rather, I want more control over the command structure and whatnot. Aurora's command structure is incredibly rigid, and there's very little representation beyond direct control roles.

As for ships, components, and ground forces, I like the detail but do agree that having some amount of automation to make it easier to just... have the detail already provided would be nice. Still get the interesting quirks and nuance, but without having to draw it all up yourself. Especially when the systems require so many critical subsystems, and that forgetting one leaves you with something outright useless. Just, like, let me rely on industry to provide components and then it's just plug-and-play with whatever they provided. Maybe with some degree of requesting specific improvements that they can work on. That way instead of designing turrets at the cutting edge of technology, I have to wait for industry leaders (perhaps with some funding incentive options?) to improve their designs. While I no longer necessarily have a direct thumb on the output of research, it'll at least take a good deal of the calculating out of my hands.

Lemme control the big picture. I'm fine with details in the little picture, but let the game fill those in with nuanced reasoning. Sorta like ship control. I don't want to be having to dictate the movements of every single ship in every single fleet at any given moment (especially during combat); let my captains actually captain. I want them to make decisions too, not just be modifier bonuses with a name.

Yes this is a rather spot-on criticism, I think. I mean, I think the game was created by and for the micromanagement crowd, but it would be a LOT better if it had various options to push away the lowest level minutiae. The biggest issue for me is logistics. Not managing logistics (at the strategic level), that's interesting to me, but the amount of clicks it takes to move things around. Like, we have already a streamlined civilian transport thing where you just set numbers and the Ai handles moving things... why can't I do that for transport ships owned by the government, as well? Why do I have to manually order every single cargo transfer and create every single loop that moves things around? That's usually where I burn out, and then I make poor strategic decisions because I get too lazy to do things like make single one-off missions to move things that need to be moved quickly. I just need to be able to say "here's which planets need what" and then allocate corresponding production orders to factories. Having everything else automated below that would be wonderful.

I think the industry component design thing would be pretty cool, tbh, and pretty realistic too. Having to work components designed by your private sector in to your designs. You should have some leeway, I suppose, to commission certain designs or open up design competitions for certain specifications you want (how it typically works in the real world), but honestly besides even as a QOL thing that would be a way cooler way of handling component design. I don't really have any issue with component design, though, that's the most enjoyable part of the game for me. The main thing is just micromanaging my hundreds of freighters and colony ships and scout ships once I just barely being to scratch the midgame.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #20108 on: August 08, 2022, 02:40:38 am »

Well there's plenty games that do the big picture thing. There's very few games where the design of your ship matters critically, and even less that have a logistical layer on top, and if I had the patience to wait for aurora turns I'd love to engage with that concept.

Wheter it makes sense to bake it in a full 4x idk.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 04:47:59 am by LoSboccacc »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20109 on: August 08, 2022, 09:25:58 am »

[...] and if I had the patience to wait for aurora turns I'd love to engage with that concept.
I assume you've tried the new architecture, right? I only ask because I've never had any problems with turns taking too long since the switch from VB6 to C#.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20110 on: August 08, 2022, 11:12:43 am »

yoooo it just dropped.

Gonna wait out the inevitable bugstorm but I've had an itching to try a forum interactive playthrough of this, maybe try to flex my creative writing muscles again, and was waiting for 2.0

This is actually the most impact I think I've ever had on a game's development process, though. I made a few posts on the Aurora forum about wanting to be able to pull habitats around to do a nomadic playthrough and Steve actually came through and implemented Ark Modules, so that's kinda nice.

I would read your letsplay / AARs!  I love Aurora content, it the perfect platform for the recreation of the frontier sci-fi schlock I used to read as a kid. But, as always, the opportunity for random generation to drop some kind of interesting challenge, and to have control over your civilization down to the minutia. pretty cool.

it is the sort of game held back by the modern conceptions of hierarchy and power structure.  if we had freeform control over the unit tiers and structures, well shit that would be very complex to simulate. though I see no reason that it cannot be implemented in a functionless aesthetic sort of way

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20111 on: August 09, 2022, 12:35:16 am »

I would read your letsplay / AARs!  I love Aurora content, it the perfect platform for the recreation of the frontier sci-fi schlock I used to read as a kid. But, as always, the opportunity for random generation to drop some kind of interesting challenge, and to have control over your civilization down to the minutia. pretty cool.

it is the sort of game held back by the modern conceptions of hierarchy and power structure.  if we had freeform control over the unit tiers and structures, well shit that would be very complex to simulate. though I see no reason that it cannot be implemented in a functionless aesthetic sort of way

lol, I think it's more held back by modern programming conventions and theory since that would indeed be pretty hard to implement. out of curiosity could you elaborate what you mean? I've never had an issue with using Aurora to world build my rank and army structures but I often stay pretty conventional, so maybe I'm just not creative enough. but I'm also working on a game at the moment and one of the things I'm aiming to do is break the 4x mold in a lot of different (but simple) ways, and am kinda just brainstorming, so if you have anything specific here I'm kinda curious  ;)

As for AARs/Let's Plays, out of coincidence the two projects of mine I have sigged at the moment are both actually based directly on Aurora, albeit both are defunct, if you're curious. One is just a let's play and the other was based on a game in Aurora I did that was itself based on a CK2 run I had. Worldbuilding is kinda my escapist drug, heh.

Well there's plenty games that do the big picture thing. There's very few games where the design of your ship matters critically, and even less that have a logistical layer on top, and if I had the patience to wait for aurora turns I'd love to engage with that concept.

Wheter it makes sense to bake it in a full 4x idk.

This is kinda what had been drawing me back to Distant Worlds when 2 was released and had me impulse buy it. Someone mentioned it somewhere but Distant Worlds indeed just feels like Aurora, but much more playable and enjoyable. Sure, you lose out on a lot of customization ability, but in exchange it feels a lot more like a game.

And then yeah there's games that go all the way like Stellar Monarch and that other game that's been floating around on the forums, which I think is also an interesting twist, absolute highest-level management.
- Charles Babbage

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20112 on: August 15, 2022, 12:05:33 am »

DAMN
They REALLY fixed that slowness issue I was complaining about.  A time sequence that took 1-2 hours before now took 5 seconds.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20113 on: August 15, 2022, 10:47:19 pm »

DAMN
They REALLY fixed that slowness issue I was complaining about.  A time sequence that took 1-2 hours before now took 5 seconds.

Did you never try C# before or did the game somehow get more optimized with 2.0 release?
- Charles Babbage

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20114 on: August 16, 2022, 03:57:13 pm »

DAMN

Did you never try C# before or did the game somehow get more optimized with 2.0 release?

The 2.0 release was super slow. The 2.03 release fixed whatever was making 2.0 super slow and made it super fast.

EDIT: There is now a 2.1 version of unknown speed, but probably fixes some major thing since it's not save compatible.
EDIT2: Actually, it is probably not save compatible due to the addition of Automated Parasite Assignment. It changed the Shipyard tab, that probably eliminated the ability to load old saves.
Pages: 1 ... 1339 1340 [1341] 1342 1343 ... 1346