Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2702564 times)

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #20130 on: September 05, 2022, 03:47:22 pm »

Yeah, nothing stopping you from doing that.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20131 on: September 05, 2022, 03:47:55 pm »

Using SM mode to generate systems is required to play a non-sol start.  So yes you can generate random systems with Aurora.

You can generate different kinds of systems while in SM mode.  Know that you have no control on what that system is going to be.  What stars, what planets, moons, asteroids or the JPs and the system's distance to other systems.

Pretty easy to just make a bunch of systems pretty quickly though and find what you like/want.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #20132 on: September 14, 2022, 07:35:44 pm »

You can straight up edit and add planets and stars too. Could create any possible system you could want. You could make a system with a twenty planets crammed in the habitable zone and intact ruin cities on all of them if you wanted to for some reason.

Can also set up space populations and have stations just sitting in deep space with people in them.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20133 on: September 15, 2022, 05:09:41 am »

Next version will finally make ground troops easier to update. No longer will you need to research each new generation. Your built troops still stay on the same tech level, but you can update the template and get the benefits of new armor and weapon strength for new ones. Existing troops will use the new ones for replacements, if available.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20134 on: September 20, 2022, 09:30:22 am »

Next update got a lot of QoL in general, really nice. Aurora is quickly becoming a game that isn't a complete pain to play and I really love that. Now the question is do I risk starting a campaign or wait for more features.  :D
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20135 on: September 20, 2022, 10:13:47 am »

Now the question is do I risk starting a campaign or wait for more features.  :D
The eternal Aurora question, truly.

Jejune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20136 on: September 20, 2022, 11:02:55 am »

Plasma carronades are absolutely terrible in ship to ship combat, I can confirm, but damn don't they turn your ground forces into terminators. Pretty much every 'hit' in my damage report is also a kill.
Only found one proper alien race I could throw them at so far though, much sadness. I did find some isolated ground forces and tried invading them for fun, but it turns out forested rift valleys are pretty hard to invade even with rift valley fighting training. Barely ever hit anything.

And a hell of a way to find out that STOs are hidden until they fire on you ^^ Going to try luring raiders in with that trick, holding fire til they are right over the colony, then blasting them with 35cm carronades. I can fit 12 and enough engineers to max fortify them into just one troop transport.

Been reading a little bit about academy commanders too and they seem really important? I had no idea that Tactical gave an accuracy boost and no idea that 0.25 on the Naval specced Admin Command means the navy admin applies part of that accuracy boost to everyone he is commanding. 20% bonuses let admins inherit their traits to their students, so I have ground force academy on mars now (20% ground attack, 20% ground defend) and spacer academies on the moon (20% tactical, crew training and reaction). Might have gone a bit overboard with naval organization, but it makes so much sense now.

The Japan Navy -> Sol Combat Assets -> Active Defence Fleets hierarchy provides an 11% accuracy bonus to ships in that fleet. The Japan Navy -> Science/Jump Gates -> Survey Fleets -> Chiyoda Expedition provides a 32% Survey bonus to that fleet, and also lets me divide all 8 surveyors into individual ships without spamming the fleet organization window. I can just collapse that admin when I am not managing them. Its so nice.

When I get back to it tomorrow, I think I'm going to try putting an STO academy on Pluto, because why not. Tactics 20% for improved STO accuracy, and maybe Production 20% for engineer dig in speed? Does that work? The engineers are in a subordinate ground formation. And should I put non combat on STO units? Someone I read said the non-combat checkbox is a straight nerf to artillery units but J don't actually know what it does
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 02:06:27 pm by Jejune »

Spartan-67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20137 on: April 17, 2023, 08:05:16 pm »

So I may be dating myself, but I wanna know, is there the thing that all weapons have super short ranges due to the 5 second thing except for missiles?

Or has that been changed?
It is ineffecient, will accomplish next to nothing, and is complete overkill. It will also probably not work. In other words, dwarfy.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20138 on: April 17, 2023, 08:19:12 pm »

That's still a thing, but I'm pretty sure missiles are pretty heavily nerfed in the current version from the VB6 days.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20139 on: April 17, 2023, 09:10:46 pm »

That's still a thing, but I'm pretty sure missiles are pretty heavily nerfed in the current version from the VB6 days.

Missiles are actually a thing that Steve has been actively working on for the newest version:

Fractional Missile Warheads
New Missile Guidance Options
Laser Warheads
Multiple Warhead Missiles
Missile Decoys

As well as some new anti-missile options:
Decoy Missiles
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:01:22 am by AlStar »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20140 on: April 18, 2023, 05:34:38 am »

It'll make beam only more difficult, I assume. Which is fine, I basically use missiles only for 2 things: Sensor missiles on my explorers that have a look if a planet has precursers, and tiny size 1 missiles to overwhelm precursor AMM spam.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20141 on: April 18, 2023, 07:51:58 pm »

The stated goal is to make smaller launches of larger missiles an equally viable route as the current missile meta of hundreds (or thousands) of small, box-launched missiles.

Beam-only is currently extremely strong, even after the addition of weapons malfunctioning during shooting, just because it takes time and resources to build missile factories, research missiles, then build the missiles and ship them to the front. Beams get to skip all of that.

I suspect it'll take a while to get the balance down.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 07:53:50 pm by AlStar »

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20142 on: April 19, 2023, 04:14:38 pm »

Yeah I've always seen missiles as this OP thing that if you can't counter, you're basically dead unless you run fast enough. I've realized that's not quite the case as they require a much larger technology and industrial base than beam weapons, and this update is further pushing them  back.

I think the intention is also to make missiles more interesting ij general with more drawn out fights than just "you get hit by one or two waves and your fleet is dead", because there's a lot of different methods to overlap to counter them now.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20143 on: April 20, 2023, 07:03:10 pm »

Anyone have an easy way to play on Windows 11? I sorta had to give up...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20144 on: April 20, 2023, 07:20:02 pm »

It is a windows native program. Barring any oddities, it is download, patch (unless he's merged the latest patch into the distro) and run.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.