Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2702777 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5430 on: July 11, 2011, 11:27:21 am »

Trade bring in money. More planets means more population (small population grow faster).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: July 11, 2011, 04:52:09 pm »

Can a mass driver shot through jump gates into another system?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: July 11, 2011, 04:52:58 pm »

Nope. In-system only.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: July 12, 2011, 05:20:06 am »

I just noticed why I didn't have as much space left on my computer as I thought I have: Aurora.
It's 18.2GB! That's twice the amount of Starcraft II  ???

also: I just noticed that one of the systems I explored has the (presumably precursor) flag at the star map. I haven't seen anything yet in that system and the system where one of my survey ships got fried by them is not listed as theirs. When is a system considered owned by another race?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: July 12, 2011, 08:01:08 am »

A settlement?

AFAIK you can manually designate a system as being owned by any empire/faction on the starmap?
But it's been almost a year since I played a few games.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: July 12, 2011, 08:55:26 am »

I just noticed why I didn't have as much space left on my computer as I thought I have: Aurora.
It's 18.2GB! That's twice the amount of Starcraft II

Wow, even with 22 copies of the database my Aurora directories only take up 1.2G, what is taking up your space?  I do kill the process when I see it starting to bloat up the database, I've let it go overnight in the past and never seen it actually recover from that state :(, so I don't feel like I'm losing anything killing it quickly. 

Also, databases do compress quite nicely,  I have another 20 dbs from early in the game of about 58M each and they 7zip down to 111M

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: July 12, 2011, 10:41:05 am »

My Aurora folder is 264 MB. But windows claims the program Aurora is 18.2GB when I was removing some games to make room for another one. Guess windows is counting the whole system32 folder or something >.>

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: July 15, 2011, 01:43:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: July 15, 2011, 05:17:34 pm »

Unless you're very bad at defense, you should be able to cream them if they come towards Sol by camping the Jump Points.

When one opens IN Sol, then you really should be scared. Otherwise, not really.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: July 15, 2011, 05:26:04 pm »

My Aurora folder is 264 MB. But windows claims the program Aurora is 18.2GB when I was removing some games to make room for another one. Guess windows is counting the whole system32 folder or something >.>

Go ahead and uninstall windows.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: July 15, 2011, 07:27:20 pm »

Unless you're very bad at defense, you should be able to cream them if they come towards Sol by camping the Jump Points.

When one opens IN Sol, then you really should be scared. Otherwise, not really.
Getting creamed by them would be bad. Getting creamed like the Precursors would be even worse and just downright humiliating.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: July 17, 2011, 09:57:10 am »

I had fun once:
Good times

IIRC there was a bug with deconstructing artifacts. Something like screwing up the research in the colony. Has it been fixed?

An other thing I'd like would be some decent algorithms. The loading time for the "population and production" screen (F2) dropped from ~30 seconds to ~5 seconds after I deleted all my ground units. (yeah, I cheated and deleted them from the database file. One google search will find you a program that gets you the password for a mdb file)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5442 on: July 17, 2011, 09:59:27 am »

You can also just ASK for the password. The only reason he passworded it was to keep people from messing with it and then crying about what they broke. He will give it out when asked.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: July 17, 2011, 04:09:32 pm »

Hey guys, it seems that fighters aren't very good... or at least, not very fast.  At my current engine tech  (Magneto-plasma, with 15% power increase) a 250 ton fighter only goes 11,000km/s. But my gunboat engine sends a 1,000 ton ship to 9,200km/s.

Seems like giving up 750 tons of ship for just 1,800km/s of speed doesn't seem like a good trade. Am I just doing something wrong?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: July 17, 2011, 05:45:59 pm »

Hey guys, it seems that fighters aren't very good... or at least, not very fast.  At my current engine tech  (Magneto-plasma, with 15% power increase) a 250 ton fighter only goes 11,000km/s. But my gunboat engine sends a 1,000 ton ship to 9,200km/s.

Seems like giving up 750 tons of ship for just 1,800km/s of speed doesn't seem like a good trade. Am I just doing something wrong?

250 tons is pretty big for a fighter. Since they're limited to one engine, the smaller the better.

Also, one fighter isn't likely to beat one gunboat, but there's not reason it has to be 1 on 1. Also, fighters are built by fighter factories, which is a nice advantage (no retooling)
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 1346