Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2703077 times)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5580 on: July 24, 2011, 06:37:41 pm »

Hmm, then I'd say that if anyone goes with the system-wide-planet-to-jump-point defense system, they might as well make their gunships blind. That way, the gunships just use the system-wide PDC-provided active sensor coverage, and they can deploy specialized support cruisers with powerful sensors when they need to send taskforces out-of-system.

I don't quite remember how much space sensors would usually take on a normal battleship, but I'm sure not putting any should save some decent space, and should also make gunships stealthier when on the defensive, since they dont have sensors to be passively EM detected. The downside of course being that when attacking out-of-system, the sensor ships would be prime targets because of their relatively high EM emission...

Yes. This combos well with planet based fighters or gunboats for that reason.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: July 24, 2011, 06:39:28 pm »

But can fighters and gunboats pack enough fuel to travel anywhere in the system without losing too much firepower?
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: July 24, 2011, 06:47:57 pm »

But can fighters and gunboats pack enough fuel to travel anywhere in the system without losing too much firepower?

Gunboats can, easily. Fighters could with high enough tech. Sure, their engines use 10x/100x as much fuel as a warship, but the ships are also much smaller.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: July 24, 2011, 07:12:21 pm »

Unless the system is really huge, it shouldn't be too problematic. A 500 ton fighter, using a full sized fuel storage (50000 fuel), with no fuel efficiency researched should be able to do around 1.8 billion km, half that if you want it to get back on it's own power with no refuel.

If you keep it small it should get a much better range though. You'd probably need to send a few dedicated sensor fighter or use sensor drones/buoys to actually paint the target (unless you're using missile with their own sensors, which it's pretty feasible all considered. The planet based listening stations should give you the enemy location, just use the fighters to kill them)
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: July 25, 2011, 03:51:26 am »

Hmm, finally got the hang of system defense. Also have upgraded the hell out of my sensors on Earth so I can now instantly see anything that comes through the nearby hot-zone JP. Had an enemy contact near one of my civilian mining colonies earlier but I lost them... I've moved a squad of warships, or actually, one warship and a Jump ship, to stand guard at Earth while my 3-ship Battle Group guards the actual JP.

EDIT:

My sensors can now see any ship up to slightly outside of Pluto. I am now set for detecting any incoming enemies. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:59:39 am by Ehndras »
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: July 25, 2011, 03:53:00 am »

One serious question:

My jump-ship got bombarded by missiles and, despite the jump drive exploding right after the order was issued, managed to escape through the JP back to my home system. (bug?)

I've been doing manual damage control to fix it and ressuplying every turn, which is a pain in the ass.

HOW do I replace dead crew and repair a damaged ship?
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: July 25, 2011, 04:05:27 am »

Get the ship back to a shipyard and from the manage shipyards menu you can choose to repair stuff (dropdown menu from build ships).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: July 25, 2011, 04:31:10 am »

How do you tell how far your earth sensors are ranged?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: July 25, 2011, 04:39:20 am »

How do you tell how far your earth sensors are ranged?

It showed how in the tutorial... Something about hitting Sensors on the map menu, selecting x10, scrolling to 2000, and putting a check in the box. Blue lines will appear to denote your sensor range on every active colony and from your ships.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: July 25, 2011, 07:18:31 am »

I found an interesting system in my current game, I felt like sharing. Spoilers due to size.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: July 25, 2011, 07:31:38 am »

What do you mean, ruled out? Geez, what forum do you think you're on?

THAT is obviously a challenge, how long will it take for one of the planets to hit the star, and can you get it to 0 col cost before then (I wonder if getting closer to a second star would raise its temperature?). I suggest colonising the place, then using it as the sole source of officers/ground units for your empire, as anyone who'd live there is obviously awesome by default.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5591 on: July 25, 2011, 08:03:36 am »

Nah, it will just pass very very close. It will be a nice warm summer.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: July 25, 2011, 08:07:19 am »

maybe the planet has a very eccentric ecliptic plane/orbit or however it's called?
Still, there should be VERY extreme seasonal temperature gradients.
I suspect Aurora calculates habitable zone/planetary temperature only from distance, solar output of the parent star.
You never know though.... it IS nicknamed 'DF in space' in the thread topic.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: July 25, 2011, 09:38:53 am »

I've attempted to play this off and on, and it just seems impenetrable to me. Not only do I have to set my monitor to a resolution it doesn't support (DAMN YOU 1600x900) but it just seems like a massive wall of text. Could someone post some tutorials?... or... something?...
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: July 25, 2011, 10:15:28 am »

I've attempted to play this off and on, and it just seems impenetrable to me. Not only do I have to set my monitor to a resolution it doesn't support (DAMN YOU 1600x900) but it just seems like a massive wall of text. Could someone post some tutorials?... or... something?...

There's an option to fit the game to your screen, I had the same problem until I found that option, now my laptop works with Aurora perfectly :)
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1346