Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2704680 times)

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5595 on: July 25, 2011, 10:39:59 am »

Where?
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: July 25, 2011, 01:21:42 pm »

Where?

Game Paramenters -> Reduced Height Windows

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: July 25, 2011, 01:46:19 pm »

How do you tell how far your earth sensors are ranged?

It showed how in the tutorial... Something about hitting Sensors on the map menu, selecting x10, scrolling to 2000, and putting a check in the box. Blue lines will appear to denote your sensor range on every active colony and from your ships.

But isn't that only an assumed range? If you increase the range the blue rings don't increase with it. I want know know how to set it up for whatever amount of sensors I build.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5598 on: July 25, 2011, 01:53:07 pm »

Sensors don't actually have a 'range'. Passive sensors detect objects based on the strength of the contact, with stronger contacts detected further out. Active sensors detect larger objects at longer distances and smaller object at closer ones. The range listed on the active sensor is its optimal distance for it's intended target size, but the actual range of detection is variable.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: July 25, 2011, 02:25:02 pm »

Sensor ranges are variable depending on the size of the contact.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: July 29, 2011, 03:00:32 pm »

Can somebody explain the complexity of missile loading to me? My ships have magazines to store the missiles, my colony has missiles to store in the magazine, but I seem to be missing a part or a step or something. Telling my Task Group to load ordinance from colony seem to do nothing.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: July 29, 2011, 03:07:00 pm »

Can somebody explain the complexity of missile loading to me? My ships have magazines to store the missiles, my colony has missiles to store in the magazine, but I seem to be missing a part or a step or something. Telling my Task Group to load ordinance from colony seem to do nothing.

Go into your ships menu (F6) and find the missile armed ships in question. Click the Ordnance Management tab and make sure you have a missile type assigned to the launchers on your ship. Then just load the missiles from the population in the same tab. Viola, your ships should now be armed with missiles to explode stuff.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: July 29, 2011, 03:08:44 pm »

--dang ninja'd--

To use "load ordnance" I'm pretty sure you have to have defined an ordnance loadout for the ship class - it's on one of the tabs of the "Ship Design" screen iirc.
There's a way to load missles manually too - maybe one of the tabs on the Ship screen?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: July 29, 2011, 03:33:19 pm »

To use "load ordnance" I'm pretty sure you have to have defined an ordnance loadout for the ship class - it's on one of the tabs of the "Ship Design" screen iirc.
F5 Ordnance/Fighters tab.

There's a way to load missles manually too - maybe one of the tabs on the Ship screen?
Go into your ships menu (F6) and find the missile armed ships in question. Click the Ordnance Management tab and make sure you have a missile type assigned to the launchers on your ship. Then just load the missiles from the population in the same tab. Viola, your ships should now be armed with missiles to explode stuff.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: July 29, 2011, 03:43:53 pm »

Excellent. Now I just have to design some missiles that have good range (my current missile designs have either 80km or 40km max range).

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: July 29, 2011, 05:11:36 pm »

Question, do drones with their own active sensors need a FC with any sort of range or can they operate by themselves as soon as they leave the launcher. I ask this because I've set up a drone to be used with a stealth corvette that act as it's active sensors. They're very long range but I'd rather not dedicate a FC on my corvette that's has a range of 1 Billion km when all it needs to do is head towards a selected planet.

-Also does the Maximum Tonnage of a cloak (Say 4000 tons) ignore the weight of the cloaking electronics?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:34:56 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: July 29, 2011, 10:58:40 pm »

Nope. That's the point of further cloaking research. :)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: July 30, 2011, 12:45:15 pm »

remember: active sensors would nullify your stealth tech.
At least, that is what I heard.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: July 30, 2011, 01:42:59 pm »

remember: active sensors would nullify your stealth tech.
At least, that is what I heard.

More or less. It'd still have a reduced sensor profile. It's just broadcasting it's position very loudly due to the active sensors. It does help a little bit as it'll be harder to actually target it, but it certainly won't be very actually stealthy.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: July 30, 2011, 03:35:24 pm »

Yeah that's why I have the active sensors attached to the drones. Sure, they'll broadcast where my ship is but they AI isn't smart enough to look at where the drone originated from.

Also am I setting my fire control wrong? I go into combat settings, select the right fire control, set the fire control mode and click set mode but nothing happens and as soon as I navigate away it gets reset to none.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 03:47:18 pm by Smitehappy »
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 1346