Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672908 times)

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2010, 06:18:33 pm »

I think those system32 files are just ones it needs to run but aren't normally included at installation or something.  It would be better if it checked for more recent versions automatically and didn't install in that case, but rejecting them doesn't seem to do anything (maybe).

x2yzh9: Try reading this.

--

My games keep hanging during time jumps, and when I close and restart it it only skips in small amounts - setting it to a five-day skip, for example, only skips ahead 2 hours, and while you can force it to go longer by changing the "sub-pulse length," it still only skips that length and stops.  Anyone else have something similar happen?

FAKE EDIT: Apparently it's because some unseen races are busy doing things and ending the increments themselves.  That's annoying, but thankfully not a bug or something.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2010, 06:22:19 pm »

I just need to find a tech tree, i need engines so my ships don't move at 1km/s :'(

I'm not positive but I think engine techs tend to come after reactor techs so try that.

neudialect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2010, 06:39:36 pm »

I know that my dream game is a 4x game where you can build stuff.
It would be better if I had a character, and not control the game as a god/rts esque..
It's okay if it is 4X...no pro...
BUT

"NB: If you live in a country where the decimal separator is a comma, please change your regional settings to either UK or US (where the decimal separator is a period) when playing Aurora. "

I don't change anything in my computer to play anything, that's ridiculous, seriously.
You can get around that System Locale requirement by using MS's AppLocale. http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx

Edit: Though it might be quicker (and easier) to just change it manually, you can find it in language settings. I mean it's relatively painless and it wont really change (or break) anything and some things may even work better. (unless you live in Japan that is; in that case yes, it will break a few apps)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:46:25 pm by neudialect »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2010, 06:49:51 pm »

My problem with this is the lack of a user-friendly UI.

Or rather, a laptop-friendly UI.

Seriously, no scroll bars? XXXXx1024 resolution or bust? Grr...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2010, 07:02:03 pm »

Yeah, I can't find a scroller that works properly for it, so I guess this game is a no-go until I figure something out or they fix that.  It's a pretty large portion of the possible playerbase that's getting flipped the bird.
Shoes...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2010, 07:19:25 pm »

From the wiki:

Scrolling desktop. A program that extends the desktop beyond your screen can be found at http://360desktop.com/

In XP, something similar is already built in but it does carry a warning from Microsoft so you will have to decide if this is worth trying. Go to the screen where you set your resolution. Select the Advanced button and then select the Monitor tab. There is a checkbox which reads "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". If you uncheck this box, you can set resolution to anything your graphics card can handle. If this resolution is higher than what your monitor can display, whenever your mouse pointer reaches the edge of your screen, the whole screen will scroll in that direction.

I keep getting an error that MSSTDFMT.dll is missing and to go to the forums, where I'm looking for a fix.

Any ideas?

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2010, 07:22:52 pm »

From the wiki:

Scrolling desktop. A program that extends the desktop beyond your screen can be found at http://360desktop.com/

In XP, something similar is already built in but it does carry a warning from Microsoft so you will have to decide if this is worth trying. Go to the screen where you set your resolution. Select the Advanced button and then select the Monitor tab. There is a checkbox which reads "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". If you uncheck this box, you can set resolution to anything your graphics card can handle. If this resolution is higher than what your monitor can display, whenever your mouse pointer reaches the edge of your screen, the whole screen will scroll in that direction.

I keep getting an error that MSSTDFMT.dll is missing and to go to the forums, where I'm looking for a fix.

Any ideas?

I edited the OP with some information on this and other problems

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2010, 07:24:54 pm »

okay I found the dll in a link where someone else had the same problem on win7/vista, so I'm guessing I put the dll in system32...

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msstdfmt

EDIT: nope still get the same error, the guy on the forum said it fixed his but didn't say where he put it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 07:27:59 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2010, 07:26:43 pm »

I tried 360desktop, it's nice but it only scrolls horizontally, and the problem is the vertical resolution.
Shoes...

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2010, 07:28:37 pm »

okay I found the dll in a link where someone else had the same problem on win7/vista, so I'm guessing I put the dll in system32...

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msstdfmt

You also have to register it, and I'm not sure if that version of the dll will work. Once again check the open post for the solution.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2010, 07:31:58 pm »

hmm i set it up so some ships and techs were created at startup, and ordered them to survey stuff. Didnt know about the speciAl commands, so meh, they might sit at Earth and go "need to move to X first!"
building or designing ships is not as intuitive...might need to check out the tut after all. heheh.

research seems pretty straightforward.
Select project, add labs choose lead scientist. close researchwindow. wait.

Also CHTULU: did you uncheck the "allow only monitor supported resolutions" (or something) option in the rez menu? When you do, you can use any rez that your GFXcard supports. then you can scroll with the rest of us. :P

This certainly is not a casual game.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 07:36:48 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2010, 07:33:38 pm »

The guy programming this apparently had a 5-year game going.

No, it's definitely not a casual game.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2010, 07:34:30 pm »

I think it means five game years.
Shoes...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2010, 07:37:48 pm »

Can't run it from system, as I'm 64bit win7.

Trying from syswow64 now, got to nav the dos regsvr to there first though.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2010, 07:37:58 pm »

I think it means five game years.
with 5 sec increments the difference might be less than you think...
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 1346