Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705336 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6885 on: September 14, 2011, 09:25:58 pm »

Something is screwed up on your end. Reduced height windows does NOTHING to make windows re-sizable. All it does is allow the game to be run on lower resolutions. Either something went wrong on your computer, or you're not listening to directions, or you're trolling.
I followed the directions to the letter (They're not THAT hard) and I am not trolling.

I shall try reinstalling. I hope to Armok this works...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: September 14, 2011, 09:51:45 pm »

Something is screwed up on your end. Reduced height windows does NOTHING to make windows re-sizable. All it does is allow the game to be run on lower resolutions. Either something went wrong on your computer, or you're not listening to directions, or you're trolling.
I followed the directions to the letter (They're not THAT hard) and I am not trolling.

I shall try reinstalling. I hope to Armok this works...
A-HA!! That's exactly what a troll would say!

Ok, in all honesty I apologize for the troll remark. I just flashed back to some idiot in my database class today, who couldn't remember instructions for more than five minutes.

(That's not the save button, you idiot, it's the undo button!)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: September 14, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »

If your problem is oversized windows, there is an option to reduce them.
:o
Where? Where?

On the main game bar: Game Parameters > Reduced Windows.

If that doesn't work, there is a program called ResizeEnable that is probably linked in this thread (otherwise google it) that is free, is not nagware, and is basically a rough hack that lets you resize any window. Between those two the game is playable on my craptop 1024x768 screen.

Edit: Darn space ninjas
Yup.

Anyways, I'll look up the ResizeEnable, as Reduced Windows don't do shit. ReducedWindows lets me resize the window, but I'd have to have a bigger (See: Massive) moniter to matter.

EDIT: Wait, does it RESIZE the window, or change the size of the game itself? If it's the window, then it won't help. If only there was a scroll bar in the game...

Bit late here, but...

The Reduced Windows option does help, just not by a lot. For me (1024x768) it makes it so only the Commanders and Task Group windows have buttons beyond the screen.

As for ResizeEnable, yeah, it actually does help, otherwise I wouldn't be able to play. It compresses everything to fit into the window. So, for example, you open the Task Group window and you can't see the bottom row of buttons. You resize the window by dragging the top edge down a bit, and then move the window so the top edge is at the edge of your screen, and then drag the bottom edge to the bottom of your screen. Everything will be a bit squashed and the buttons will be smaller, but you can see them all this way.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: September 14, 2011, 10:09:14 pm »

If your problem is oversized windows, there is an option to reduce them.
:o
Where? Where?

On the main game bar: Game Parameters > Reduced Windows.

If that doesn't work, there is a program called ResizeEnable that is probably linked in this thread (otherwise google it) that is free, is not nagware, and is basically a rough hack that lets you resize any window. Between those two the game is playable on my craptop 1024x768 screen.

Edit: Darn space ninjas
Yup.

Anyways, I'll look up the ResizeEnable, as Reduced Windows don't do shit. ReducedWindows lets me resize the window, but I'd have to have a bigger (See: Massive) moniter to matter.

EDIT: Wait, does it RESIZE the window, or change the size of the game itself? If it's the window, then it won't help. If only there was a scroll bar in the game...

Bit late here, but...

The Reduced Windows option does help, just not by a lot. For me (1024x768) it makes it so only the Commanders and Task Group windows have buttons beyond the screen.

As for ResizeEnable, yeah, it actually does help, otherwise I wouldn't be able to play. It compresses everything to fit into the window. So, for example, you open the Task Group window and you can't see the bottom row of buttons. You resize the window by dragging the top edge down a bit, and then move the window so the top edge is at the edge of your screen, and then drag the bottom edge to the bottom of your screen. Everything will be a bit squashed and the buttons will be smaller, but you can see them all this way.
I shall use ResizeEnable in the morning, then.  :) I'm tired.

Goodnight!

EDIT: Insomnia, posting a last moment thought: May someone please give me a link? I know I've been a headache, this dilemma has been one for me as well. I found a couple thousand results when I googled, and I am not sure which ones are real, and which ones are !!Traps!!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: September 14, 2011, 11:57:54 pm »

I find reduced size windows to work fine on 1280x800, i have to move the window up a tiny bit to reach the top buttons, or move the taskbar to the left, however expect it would still be a problem on 1024x768.
There is another method i found worked well if all else fails, just go to desktop properties, settings, advanced, monitor, and untick the box that says [hide modes this monitor can not display], click apply then go back to the settings tab and you should be able to set your desktop resolution higher than your monitor can display as long as your video card can still create that resolution.
In effect you get a scrolling desktop which will easily allow you to reach the buttons at the bottom, no problem. I only used it on 1280x800 and only needed to reach the bottom, i expect on 1024 wide you might be a little annoyed going left or right on most windows to reach certain buttons, but it should still be playable.
Note this display hack only seems to work on XP, i couldn't get vista to let me uncheck that box, it's possible but i couldn't wrap my head around the workaround.
Also that ninja ship idea sounds good I'm still on my first game and have finished using spacemaster to mess around with these proxima centauri aliens, i discovered they are precursors and therefore only have a handful of ships which i can deal with after a few more tech levels, i popped a 1k ton probe over the jump point just in case and am researching FACs, microwaves new engines and more powerful warheads, you see where this is going?
get close, disable drive, then fire some long range size 100 warheads at em, heh :P (in SM mode i sugessfully used size 100 warheads against his mere 7500 ton ships, results were impressive when they hit( crew training and drive speed made the biggest difference in accuracy) having finished learning combat and their capabilities i save scummed and went back to Turtling and learning the interface :P
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: September 15, 2011, 01:44:33 am »

Size... 100?! Holy SHeet. I've never used bigger than size 8. The bigger the missile, the harder to hit. I prefer to spam size 4-6 missiles than rely on a huge missile... Again, that's if the missile is pure warhead. I'm assuming that missiles got agility, a nice warhead, some ecm, maybe built-in active/thermal sensors for redirectioning...
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: September 15, 2011, 03:04:19 am »

The problem with huge missiles is speed, speed makes the biggest difference to accuracy and with a size 100 missile you kinda need 50% engine just to keep it kinda fast, but if the enemy is disabled already you don't need to worry about speed or accuracy too much, as long as his PD isn't good . it'll make a nice killing blow
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: September 15, 2011, 04:26:00 am »

if you have good tech, size 100 missiles can still be fast. Although it is not easy to balance speed, strength and armor ( because you don't want those to be shot down easily)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6893 on: September 15, 2011, 06:11:58 am »

I feel like I should say this again more clearly.

If you are unable to figure out on your own how to use resize enable, reduced height mode, or some other way to make the windows fit on your screen you very likely will not enjoy this game. Just playing the game is far more complicated than getting the game to fit on a screen which is too small.

The reduced height mode in the game will ONLY help if your monitor is too short vertically. It reduces the height of several (not all) of the windows in the game. If you are playing this on a tiny netbook or tablet screen, you will very likely never be able to fit the entire window on screen at once.

There are applications which allow you to resize the window, such as resizeenable. These applications help, but they will garble the stuff in the window and cut off certain buttons.

There are also applications which let you extend your desktop and scroll around.

Again, I mean no offense with this but I see people constantly asking the same questions which were already answered in this thread and I have to wonder if they've even taken the time to try and figure it out.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: September 15, 2011, 12:58:14 pm »

I disagree. Being able to play very complex games does not mean you can actually do something else than playing games on a computer.
Example:
I like and understand DF and Aurora but if you give me a step by step instruction telling me how to download and install any major Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout mod I will fail, hard. I have tried this dozens of times but anytime I see something like ''run the .exe you have downloaded', or 'download this mod loader' I'm 100% sure that there is no way I'm ever going to play this game again without re-installing everything.
Another example:
Usb drives. How the hell do you remove the you are not supposed to put any data in here 'function'. After numerous Google hits I still couldn't solve it. The only reason I didn't ask it here on the forums is that it's my dad's usb. (aka: I just let him buy a new one)

Sorry for the rant >.<

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: September 15, 2011, 01:10:17 pm »

I feel like I should say this again more clearly.

If you are unable to figure out on your own how to use resize enable, reduced height mode, or some other way to make the windows fit on your screen you very likely will not enjoy this game. Just playing the game is far more complicated than getting the game to fit on a screen which is too small.

The reduced height mode in the game will ONLY help if your monitor is too short vertically. It reduces the height of several (not all) of the windows in the game. If you are playing this on a tiny netbook or tablet screen, you will very likely never be able to fit the entire window on screen at once.

There are applications which allow you to resize the window, such as resizeenable. These applications help, but they will garble the stuff in the window and cut off certain buttons.

There are also applications which let you extend your desktop and scroll around.

Again, I mean no offense with this but I see people constantly asking the same questions which were already answered in this thread and I have to wonder if they've even taken the time to try and figure it out.
I've figured out much of the controls and such, even with my limited view. Now I just need a link to ResizeEnable, since I got a few hundred (EDIT: Thousands) results and no idea which ones are real and which ones are ^'s.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: September 15, 2011, 01:13:39 pm »

Um. The very first one is the real link. Both with a search of Resize Enable and Resizeenable. Derp.

http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/ResizeEnable/
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: September 15, 2011, 01:21:03 pm »

Um. The very first one is the real link. Both with a search of Resize Enable and Resizeenable. Derp.

http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/ResizeEnable/
Thank you. As I said,
I found a couple thousand results when I googled, and I am not sure which ones are real, and which ones are !!Traps!!
Downloading and setting up now.

EDIT: YES YES! HUZZAH! VICTORY AT LAST! Thank you guys so much! Now I can finally USE the technology I've been researching  :P

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: September 15, 2011, 01:37:16 pm »

A small step for mankind, but a giant leap for a dwarf!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: September 15, 2011, 01:41:57 pm »

A small step for mankind, but a giant leap for a dwarf!
LMAO!
That is one of the best lines I've ever heard. I'd sig it if I had room  :-\

Next question, is there a "Give all tech" button for SM mode? I'm hax0ring myself for my first round so I understand all the controls and tactics and such, and it would be appreciated if I could Give All instead of Give x2000 times.

EDIT: My best scientist is named Viola Von Brockdorf. :3
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 1346