Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705484 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6900 on: September 15, 2011, 01:45:06 pm »

Go to Population and Production and select All research on the bottom right. Enter a extremely high number. This will instantly research all (normal) techs that cost the entered amount or less in research points.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: September 15, 2011, 01:50:31 pm »

Question: AFAIK, ships can use the active sensors of other ships in combat. Are there any limitations to this? Like they need to be in thesame TG/place or it doesn't applies to allies/PDCs sensors?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: September 15, 2011, 01:52:46 pm »

Go to Population and Production and select All research on the bottom right. Enter a extremely high number. This will instantly research all (normal) techs that cost the entered amount or less in research points.
Thanks.

Apparently expand civ economy is not infinite, because it is at 1.3 billion, and gives me an error if I try to research it. Whatever, not that big of a deal. I think 3000% economy is good enough  :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: September 15, 2011, 02:14:32 pm »

Question: AFAIK, ships can use the active sensors of other ships in combat. Are there any limitations to this? Like they need to be in thesame TG/place or it doesn't applies to allies/PDCs sensors?

In what sense? You'll be able to see everything any of your sensors see, so that replicates the relay of sensor data between different captains, and you can have sensor-heavy ships spot for others, but you will still have the same fire control and missile END limitations, so it generally doesn't make sense to not add effective AS to your ships. The only real purpose for sensor platform ships is just what I said, finding enemy locations so your combat groups can go after them without spending days searching.

Basically, if one of your ships sees an enemy, all of your ships will be able to 'see' it in a meta sense, but will still need to close to within their own fire control ranges to attack it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: September 15, 2011, 02:46:50 pm »

Ok, that answers my question. I just wanted to be sure. Not that it really matters though, as only using active sensors on like 25% of your PDCs isn't that much more effective anyway.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: September 15, 2011, 03:37:05 pm »

sensor ships are useful to make other ships cheaper, while allowing you to see farther ( it is easy to place a size 50 sensor on a ship which only has that). Of course, sensor ships need lots of armor.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: September 15, 2011, 04:34:18 pm »

I never designed one, but if I made a dedicated sensor ship I would make it more useful by covering it in point defense. That would be the better use IMO.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: September 16, 2011, 01:06:31 am »

I never designed one, but if I made a dedicated sensor ship I would make it more useful by covering it in point defense. That would be the better use IMO.
They practically beg to be covered in point defence anyhow because:
 A) You need PD ships anyway and AMM need very good resolution 1 sensors. and
 B) They'll draw enemy missiles like flies/moths to honey/fire
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: September 16, 2011, 08:20:33 am »

They practically beg to be covered in point defence anyhow because:
 A) You need PD ships anyway and AMM need very good resolution 1 sensors. and
 B) They'll draw enemy missiles like flies/moths to honey/fire
For a dedicated sensor ship, I believe it might be optimal to make it a ball of armor. Like, 20-30, more if you have good armor tech. Make it so it literally can sit there and eat their entire magazine without being seriously damaged. A couple CIWS will also increase survavibility a lot.

Another option might be using sensor buoys, since they're pretty much discardable and are harder to target. If you mount them as submunissions on drones it can get a pretty good range without even revealing the location of your ships.

On the same way the last option, you could use early warning crafts. Designing a fighter with little else than engines, sensors and as much armor you can put (not that it's much. :P ), maybe a stealth system if you have very good tech (make it harder to target, even if they know where it is)
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: September 16, 2011, 10:42:31 am »

I just launched a missile from a PDC to a PDC from another (player controlled) empire on the same planet.
The other empire couldn't even detect the missile because it hit the PDC 5 seconds after it was launched. This was with final defense fire turned on. By reading some fiction on the aurora forum I assumed you could shoot down missiles that have a target on the same planet, am I doing something wrong? The only missiles I could detect and shoot down were conventional ICBM's.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6910 on: September 16, 2011, 10:45:58 am »

Technically missiles launched at the same 'location' like at a target on the same planet have zero travel time and should hit immediately (well, next tick as you said, 5 seconds later) because all objects at that location are considered to be in the same spot. Even ships at a planet launching missiles at targets on the planet behave the same way as far as I know.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: September 16, 2011, 10:58:35 am »

Technically missiles launched at the same 'location' like at a target on the same planet have zero travel time and should hit immediately (well, next tick as you said, 5 seconds later) because all objects at that location are considered to be in the same spot. Even ships at a planet launching missiles at targets on the planet behave the same way as far as I know.
Mentlegen, I believe we have found an exploit.

Give us your poor, your weak, and your weary, and send them to us. Then we will send size 150 nuclear missiles at them and instant vaporize them. GOODDAY TO YOU, SIR!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6912 on: September 16, 2011, 02:03:11 pm »

i'm starting to get awry with fuel harvesting ways...
a step to step guide please T_T

so let's say we have a ship.
with the SORIUM harvester module. and much fuel storage.
i move it near, let's say, "saturn" (which is a sorium gas planet)
the sorium harvester...grabs sorium and converts it to fuel.
but then...what do i do?
if i go there with 100% fuel, and let's say i lose a 2%, once i get it back from the sorium gas planet, what do i do? if i send the ship to empty it's fuel tanks to earth, it then fills them up again. -.-''
what should be the correct type of orders/conditional things to set?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: September 16, 2011, 02:08:36 pm »

I think you are supposed to use cargo bays to collect the fuel.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: September 16, 2011, 02:25:25 pm »

I don't think you need cargo bays.
Just unload fuel and load a small amount, enough so you can get there.
You can enter an amount to load. normally the 'amount' is zero which means, as much as possible.
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 1346