Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705525 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6945 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:00 pm »

Meson fighters can be good. They ignore shields and armor, so even one shot can cause damage to an enemy ship. Their range is short, but as you said so are the fire controls.

Also, assigning officers with a high movement initiative rating to all your fighters and upping their initiative in the task group window can get them to move after the enemy. From my experience an initiative over 200 lets you move after most enemies, which means fighters can close in minimum range and have better accuracy.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: September 20, 2011, 08:36:44 pm »

Meson fighters can be good. They ignore shields and armor, so even one shot can cause damage to an enemy ship. Their range is short, but as you said so are the fire controls.

Also, assigning officers with a high movement initiative rating to all your fighters and upping their initiative in the task group window can get them to move after the enemy. From my experience an initiative over 200 lets you move after most enemies, which means fighters can close in minimum range and have better accuracy.

Fighters move after ships in turn order, so initiative only matters for order when fighters are engaging other fighters. The movement phase goes like this:

Quote from: Aurora wiki
    Fleets Move
    Fighter Groups Move
    Fighter Groups Reload (remaining rearm time is reduced)
    Monsters Move (including precursors)
    Missile Salvos move (including intercept, point blank point defence and damage allocation\planetary bombardment)
    Life pod Endurance Check (any lifepods that have exhausted their endurance are removed)
    Sensor Update (all sensors are checked for new contacts)

This is a huge advantage for fighters when facing NPRs, but makes them much less effective against any of the "special" enemies. I hadn't actually considered meson fighters, but you're right, they would probably gut an NPR fleet exceedingly well.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: September 20, 2011, 10:16:57 pm »

Every black hole that I've discovered has the same luminosity as the sun.  That sounds a bit off.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6948 on: September 20, 2011, 11:56:31 pm »

i'm starting to get awry with fuel harvesting ways...
a step to step guide please T_T

so let's say we have a ship.
with the SORIUM harvester module. and much fuel storage.
i move it near, let's say, "saturn" (which is a sorium gas planet)
the sorium harvester...grabs sorium and converts it to fuel.
but then...what do i do?
if i go there with 100% fuel, and let's say i lose a 2%, once i get it back from the sorium gas planet, what do i do? if i send the ship to empty it's fuel tanks to earth, it then fills them up again. -.-''
what should be the correct type of orders/conditional things to set?
There is an order to unload 95% of your fuel to a colony. Use that to mostly empty the tanker then send it out to refine sorium and return to empty again. If it is automatically refilling its own tanks that means you have a special order for it to do so.

I sure would love to know where that order is.  I can't find it.  For that matter, I can't even find the order to harvest from a gas giant--and yes, the planet I'm trying to harvest from does have sorium, and my ship does have a harvester and a couple spare tanks.

EDIT: Whoops, I had to set the class as a tanker.  Thankfully I could change that without re-designing the class.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:58:49 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: September 21, 2011, 12:36:39 am »

i'm starting to get awry with fuel harvesting ways...
a step to step guide please T_T

so let's say we have a ship.
with the SORIUM harvester module. and much fuel storage.
i move it near, let's say, "saturn" (which is a sorium gas planet)
the sorium harvester...grabs sorium and converts it to fuel.
but then...what do i do?
if i go there with 100% fuel, and let's say i lose a 2%, once i get it back from the sorium gas planet, what do i do? if i send the ship to empty it's fuel tanks to earth, it then fills them up again. -.-''
what should be the correct type of orders/conditional things to set?
There is an order to unload 95% of your fuel to a colony. Use that to mostly empty the tanker then send it out to refine sorium and return to empty again. If it is automatically refilling its own tanks that means you have a special order for it to do so.

I sure would love to know where that order is.  I can't find it.  For that matter, I can't even find the order to harvest from a gas giant--and yes, the planet I'm trying to harvest from does have sorium, and my ship does have a harvester and a couple spare tanks.

EDIT: Whoops, I had to set the class as a tanker.  Thankfully I could change that without re-designing the class.

Just a note: IIRC, the order is to dump 90% of fuel. Keep in mind that you'll need to set this before your tanker can harvest, as it will have nearly full tanks when it arrives at the gas giant.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6950 on: September 21, 2011, 06:20:57 am »

Yep, you can dump 90% of your fuel at a colony and then head off to harvest.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: September 21, 2011, 04:09:28 pm »

So, uh...Is there any way to find out if a race I've just met is precursors or not?

I started out with 0 NPRs and precursors on, then bumped NPR creation up to 30% once I felt comfortable with the game and got a few systems between me and the border.  And now, in the year 2038 (okay I'm slow) I just ran into a system with ships that hit 10,000 km/s which is about 3x my fastest ships and that launch swarms of nukes.  I only just started ramping up my off-Earth colonies--Earth has hit its decline--and it's a little important that I know whether the enemy ships are going to leave their system or not (even if I have to cheat to do it).

I couldn't communicate with them, in any case.

(Invaders and Star Swarm are turned off.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:13:37 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6952 on: September 21, 2011, 04:34:46 pm »

They're probably precursors, but precursors will leave the system too if they find the jump point (if they detect you while you jump they'll find the jump point).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: September 21, 2011, 04:47:29 pm »

And now, in the year 2038 (okay I'm slow)

Slow? I barely think about exploring other systems before 2050. I like to have a nice little base set up before then, with a colony on Mars and maybe Venus.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: September 21, 2011, 05:55:55 pm »

So how to terraform Mars? I moved the installations over there, but it still says annual atm production is still 0.

Or do you need more than just 10? Yeah, that's probably it, but I want to make sure first.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: September 21, 2011, 06:03:54 pm »

Every black hole that I've discovered has the same luminosity as the sun.  That sounds a bit off.
Might be cause its a fairly new and experimental feature.

So how to terraform Mars? I moved the installations over there, but it still says annual atm production is still 0.

Or do you need more than just 10? Yeah, that's probably it, but I want to make sure first.
Terraformer installations?  I don't remember, but you probably need workers to run em?

I just use large ships.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: September 21, 2011, 06:05:22 pm »

So, uh...Is there any way to find out if a race I've just met is precursors or not?

I started out with 0 NPRs and precursors on, then bumped NPR creation up to 30% once I felt comfortable with the game and got a few systems between me and the border.  And now, in the year 2038 (okay I'm slow) I just ran into a system with ships that hit 10,000 km/s which is about 3x my fastest ships and that launch swarms of nukes.  I only just started ramping up my off-Earth colonies--Earth has hit its decline--and it's a little important that I know whether the enemy ships are going to leave their system or not (even if I have to cheat to do it).

I couldn't communicate with them, in any case.

(Invaders and Star Swarm are turned off.)

If you can't communicate with them at all, then there's a fairly good chance that they are precursors. Also, precursors don't vent atmosphere when you hit their ships.

Space Pony

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: September 21, 2011, 06:08:31 pm »

Fighters move after ships in turn order, so initiative only matters for order when fighters are engaging other fighters. The movement phase goes like this:

Quote from: Aurora wiki
    Fleets Move
    Fighter Groups Move
    Fighter Groups Reload (remaining rearm time is reduced)
    Monsters Move (including precursors)
    Missile Salvos move (including intercept, point blank point defence and damage allocation\planetary bombardment)
    Life pod Endurance Check (any lifepods that have exhausted their endurance are removed)
    Sensor Update (all sensors are checked for new contacts)

This is a huge advantage for fighters when facing NPRs, but makes them much less effective against any of the "special" enemies. I hadn't actually considered meson fighters, but you're right, they would probably gut an NPR fleet exceedingly well.

Hmm, that's odd.
About a month ago I raged about my gauss fighters not being able to close in on some Precursor ships.
But after upping the initiative from 100 to 167, they had absolutely no problem closing in to a distance of 0k.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: September 21, 2011, 06:18:42 pm »

You need workers to staff each terraforming installation.  A terraforming module on a ship doesn't need workers.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6959 on: September 21, 2011, 07:02:10 pm »

More accurately, the crew are the workers.

Which does make me wonder why a ship-based terraformer needs like 50 people to operate or whatever, while a planet based terraformer (producing exactly 100% the same amount of terraforming) requires like 250,000 people or something.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 1346