Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705398 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9660 on: January 24, 2012, 04:25:51 pm »

Obviously, I used the abreviated title.  :P
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9661 on: January 24, 2012, 04:34:34 pm »

I can't play aurora anymore. I'm looking forward to Newtonian too much.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: January 24, 2012, 05:06:14 pm »

I'm... honestly going to skip all of Newtonian Aurora. And Aurora II if it goes to Newtonian physics. The learning cliff is steep enough with the Trans-Newtonian handwaving, I really don't want to have to learn a whole new system with proper physics thrown in.  On the other hand, it does have my biggest wish - missiles aren't the be-all, end-all of tactical engagements.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: January 24, 2012, 05:23:14 pm »

The most immediate tactical difference, and in my opinion greatest complication, is that fuel will, instead of representing a duration, will represent orders executed. A ship that flies to every planet in the inner solar system will require vastly more fuel than one that flies to a single asteroid in the oort cloud in the same amount of time. There will be quirks, but I think it won't be as bad as the initial learning cliff was.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: January 24, 2012, 06:28:24 pm »

I'm... honestly going to skip all of Newtonian Aurora. And Aurora II if it goes to Newtonian physics. The learning cliff is steep enough with the Trans-Newtonian handwaving, I really don't want to have to learn a whole new system with proper physics thrown in.  On the other hand, it does have my biggest wish - missiles aren't the be-all, end-all of tactical engagements.

I'm not entirely convinced this is going to be the case. As the rules currently stand, missiles are going to have 100% accuracy against anything but another missile, and contact nukes are going to be a one shot, one kill weapon against pretty much anything. Unless PD is getting a massive buff, I suspect it's going to be a game of "close until they can't out-delta V your missile, launch thousands of mini-nukes, win".

Still watching the development with great interest, though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: January 24, 2012, 07:21:35 pm »

Add that to the (hopeful) ability to have missiles continue cruising on empty tanks for extreme range planetary bombardment, and to order missiles to do an initial burn to get up to a high velocity, shut down their drives, and then reengage a few hundred million kilometers later.

On that subject, I haven't been keeping up to date with the plans for it, and was wondering how interstellar travel will be handled.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: January 24, 2012, 11:35:45 pm »

Add that to the (hopeful) ability to have missiles continue cruising on empty tanks for extreme range planetary bombardment, and to order missiles to do an initial burn to get up to a high velocity, shut down their drives, and then reengage a few hundred million kilometers later.

On that subject, I haven't been keeping up to date with the plans for it, and was wondering how interstellar travel will be handled.

My impression was some sort of hyper engine with FTL...

EDIT: steve is converting jump engines into hypersapce engines, which once the vector of the fleet is correctly lined up will move the ship to a higher dimension, each dimension allowing correspondingly higher rates of travel. The first level has a 2500X speed modifier, the second 5000x and so on.

Misslie with the ability to shut off engines at cruising speeds has been confirmed, although I personally don't think the new missiles will be as apocalyptic as people have been worried about. There are a couple of factors beyond the high speeds at play here. The first is that the damage profile for  missiles has changed, it's now a much shallower damage profile (damage is applied evenly to 1/2 of a ships armor). Damage is now dependent on the distance between the ship and the point of detonation, so there are effectively partial hits now. In addition because damage can now occur at a distance from a missile, AMM's can now engage a)multiple missiles in a salvo and b) a wider variety of missile. In addition it is missiles now start with the velocity of the launching ship, so firing missiles at anything directly in front of you is now more problematic. This means that many of the tactics used by missile ship now, such as holding open the range no longer work. Setting up a missile shot is now actually a tactical necessity making it harder to effectively deploy missiles.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:43:58 am by BishopX »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: January 25, 2012, 12:54:35 am »

So basically Honorverse FTL, which works for me. The upgraded missile mechanics alone would be enough to convince me to deal with adjusting to the changes.

3. Run Resize Enable

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: January 25, 2012, 03:37:42 am »

Well I hope for lauchers/modul cannon/catapults for thingys I build.... I like the idea of a Large ship flying in, settling down in broadside mode, shoting a bunch of PD-pew-pew sats towards the enemy (mostly so there is a "shield" of pd/anti-fighter turrets) in the way - or maybe catapult sensor satellites into a orbit (Yes, I know, in someways this is around in Aurora).

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: January 25, 2012, 04:17:16 am »

A fighter screen might end up being the best way to counter the tactic I mentioned (a massive wave of small contact nukes), but if so I hope there ends up being a better way to manage it. Micromanaging a bunch of waypoints would be annoying.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: January 25, 2012, 11:35:08 am »

Given the way engines work, low-g high-efficiency engines and high-g low-efficiency engines will both be needed. Your low-g engines will be for cruising, and your high-g engines will be used for combat.

I forsee "sleds" with huge fuel tanks, tractor beams, and high-efficiency engines that you latch onto your combat ships and then drop off in combat. Your high-efficiency sleds are then able to retreat and let the short-range combat vessels maneuver rapidly.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: January 25, 2012, 11:37:09 am »

So, carriers?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9672 on: January 25, 2012, 11:38:28 am »

Well I hope for lauchers/modul cannon/catapults for thingys I build.... I like the idea of a Large ship flying in, settling down in broadside mode, shoting a bunch of PD-pew-pew sats towards the enemy (mostly so there is a "shield" of pd/anti-fighter turrets) in the way - or maybe catapult sensor satellites into a orbit (Yes, I know, in someways this is around in Aurora).
Not sure how this would work. Wouldn't the missiles just go around the PD sats?

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: January 25, 2012, 11:53:45 am »

Not sure how this would work. Wouldn't the missiles just go around the PD sats?

No, not only are they unguided, but "going around" is a huge waste of fuel with a Newtonian movement model.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: January 25, 2012, 11:56:52 am »

That is one thing I'll miss-taking dogleg courses to avoid enemy forces is incredibly inefficient if you don't have inertialess drives.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 1346