Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705455 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9675 on: January 25, 2012, 11:57:16 am »

So, carriers?

No... each ship would have a dedicated sled, not much larger than the ship itself is. It's too easy to destroy individual vessels, and a carrier large enough to carry several large combat vessels would be very large indeed. The combat vessels would not be fighters, but full-scale self-sufficient ships.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: January 25, 2012, 12:02:34 pm »

Call them any way you like, what I see is a 15,000 tons carriers with 10,000 tons of hangar space. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: January 25, 2012, 12:13:02 pm »

Well, that depends on how efficient hangars are. I would tend to use tractor beams, although I guess ships in hangars have decreased maintenance needs... and then you could rotate the hangar ships... But if they get a drop on your hangar ships and destroy one, what happens to the heavily-armored warship inside?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9678 on: January 25, 2012, 12:22:00 pm »

I do love the idea of an engine module dragging a lot of hangar modules though I don't see how it could be more efficient or effective than just building them all into one ship, aside from the fact that the engine module could drop them and run off I guess.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:58 pm »

The main advantage of a modular design is the flexibility you gain, assuming you can produce enough modules to stock every fleet base. You can have a pair of engine designs, one high-efficiency, and the other high-power, and a variety of modules containing assortments of armaments and support capabilities, so you can simply hook an engine to whatever module you need for a given mission and deploy it. This also brings disposable modules into the matter; you could go into a hostile system towing a module with nothing except an AS, FC, and a few hundred box launchers, get close enough to launch, and then dump the launcher module and run to escape. This also allows you to mount much heavier weapons and sensors than a ship of that size could normally support, as it doesn't need to propel itself or carry fuel.

The problems, of course, are equally visible: if you can't produce enough to have a variety of modules on-hand at every location where they might be needed, your entire fleet falls apart. Essentially, there are three design routes you can take, small variations aside: modular, fleet-based, and self-sufficient. The first is, as I've just described, heavily interdependent: you need every aspect of your production, logistics, and ship movement to mesh perfectly, or the whole thing falls apart, but in return you achieve a great deal of tactical flexibility. A fleet-based design uses self-powered ships in specific roles; missile platforms, carriers, PD ships, etc. This requires a degree of organization to function properly, but if you can assemble a good fleet mix and keep it supplied, it can largely take care of itself. The final is based around the idea that every ship you build, even if it is larger and more expensive, should be able to fill a wide variety of roles-perhaps not as well as a specialized ship, but with a much greater range of capabilities. The idea behind this is that all you have to do is build ships and keep them supplied, as the fleet mix is irrelevant; the only variable you need to worry about in combat is your total number of ships, or more appropriately, your total tonnage, as every ship can contribute to a wide variety of tasks.

Each of those has its own strengths and weaknesses, and no one is necessarily "correct", as it is largely a matter of the capabilities and needs of your civilization.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: January 25, 2012, 01:24:04 pm »

I do love the idea of an engine module dragging a lot of hangar modules though I don't see how it could be more efficient or effective than just building them all into one ship, aside from the fact that the engine module could drop them and run off I guess.

The big thing is that you can't have two (types of) engines on one ship. Anyway, in combat your .1 g engines are dead weight. Drop them off and let them scoot away while your 2.5 g engines pulp your pilots for a bit. The reason you don't just order your 2.5 g engines to go slower is that they have far less delta-v.

j.h

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Does not care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: January 25, 2012, 02:42:09 pm »

Would anyone happen to know the developer's password?

Actually, it is not that hard to extract the password from aurora.exe. I won't write how to do it, because that might make Steve angry, but this program can help you (assuming you have used command-line before):
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897439
If you figure that out, you can get the password every time he changes it.

But the best situation would be if that password was not required to keep games playable.
☺☻♠☼‼«»█≈²

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: January 25, 2012, 03:38:36 pm »

*stuff*
Nope, now he'll just change it again and encrypt it.  Thanks :P

By the way, it's because somebody POSTED it (i.e. in public), not because somebody PM'd it.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: January 25, 2012, 03:59:43 pm »

By the way, it's because somebody POSTED it (i.e. in public), not because somebody PM'd it.
What? I only remember PMs involved. Do you have a link to the supposed post? ???
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: January 25, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »

Yeah, the pw was only given out by PMs. I was one of the recipients, I admit. After it changed I got it the old fashioned way.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: January 25, 2012, 04:12:18 pm »

What? I only remember PMs involved. Do you have a link to the supposed post? ???
Yeah, the pw was only given out by PMs. I was one of the recipients, I admit. After it changed I got it the old fashioned way.
That's HERE.
He mentions a public post and somebody passing it out freely (presumably the person who was offering it through PM here...), both in vague terms so as to not name any names.  I can't say the post was -here-, but...

EDIT: I guess I should say that means we're both right, in a way.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:13:55 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: January 25, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »

Finally got my LP up. Hoping this all works out :)

Let's Play Aurora - Ad Astra per Aspera

Even if you only skim it, please feel free to chip in and maybe ask for an officer to be named after you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9687 on: January 25, 2012, 04:36:40 pm »

Finally got my LP up. Hoping this all works out :)

Let's Play Aurora - Ad Astra per Aspera

Even if you only skim it, please feel free to chip in and maybe ask for an officer to be named after you.
Reading now. I will certainly keep an eye on it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: January 25, 2012, 04:52:49 pm »

Actually, it is not that hard to extract the password from aurora.exe. I won't write how to do it, because that might make Steve angry, but this program can help you (assuming you have used command-line before):
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897439
If you figure that out, you can get the password every time he changes it.

But the best situation would be if that password was not required to keep games playable.
KISS
Keep It Simple Stupid

Just ask Steve Walmsley in PM.  Only entry requirement is to get off your doof, sign up for a forum account over there and shoot this guy a PM.

EDIT: Though, looks like he hasn't logged on for over a week now...  meh.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:55:08 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: January 26, 2012, 02:24:34 am »

He'll be back, he's pretty on-again / off-again with his logging onto the forums due to traveling.

Me? I have a new toy to play with. Now it's more there for the challenge. =)
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 1346