Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2698717 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9780 on: February 01, 2012, 04:01:27 am »

*whew* Just spent about an hour completely reorganizing my galactic map.

wow!

how long does it takes each increment for you?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: February 01, 2012, 10:03:30 am »

wow!

Heh...you think that's big?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: February 01, 2012, 11:54:54 am »

Shouldn't proxima centauri and alpha centauri be in the same system?
You should rearrange your map to put them close together :P

1. Yes, but not according to the game, apparently.  :P
2. The previous setup was about as close as I could cram them; even with the current organization I'm still going to have to do some shuffling when I explore from some of those 4-8 JP hub systems.

wow!

Depends on what is happening; a normal 30 day "nothing happening, let's speed up the research" increment is usually about 20s-1m realtime. If I'm running a combat turn with a few TGs, it can be 2-3 minutes realtime. If it's one of those turns where a few score inactive officers get deleted, it can take 3-4 minutes realtime, or 15+ minutes if I don't bother to check back for error messages while waiting for it to finish.

Incidentally, RedKing, how do you get foreign control flags to display properly? I've got the option selected, but they don't show up.

(And in terms of personal preference, how do you cope without gridding your system map?  :P)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: February 01, 2012, 11:59:35 am »

I need to get back into this. I kept quitting because I didn't run into enemies after searching all planets in the systems surrounding Sol and then some.

How do you guys deal with resource drain? I end up sending all resources in a system to one planet and building everything from there. And then once empty of resources, leave it.

Do you guys move your resources between planets? Is there an "infinite" source of materials somewhere out there?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9784 on: February 01, 2012, 12:07:42 pm »

In my games everything tends to make its way back to Earth and Earth becomes an overpopulated forge world. There is no source of infinite TN material aside from, I suppose, raiding your civilian shipping and scrapping them. You shouldn't have problems with resources though once you start exploring.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: February 01, 2012, 12:12:18 pm »

Incidentally, RedKing, how do you get foreign control flags to display properly? I've got the option selected, but they don't show up.
You have to manually go into the system information and set control to whatever empire (which is why Sol incorrectly shows being under foreign control...I goofed). I should probably update it to show the Bastani (that black flag down in the lower right section) with way more systems, even ones where there's no settlements.

(And in terms of personal preference, how do you cope without gridding your system map?  :P)
Heh. Most of my maps have been gridded or tree-like, but for this I tried using a radial system instead. It's worked well. And I still have snap-to-grid turned on, it just takes some finessing to get roughly circular outlays.

There have been a few times where I found previously unknown backdoor JPs, and I had to juggle half the map to keep the lines from crossing over. As you can see, there's still one jumproute that I couldn't resolve, because it cuts waaaay across sectors, and I couldn't line up the branches next to each other without screwing up two other branches that had a bridge link between them.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: February 01, 2012, 12:48:59 pm »

Hmm... Out of curiosity, what grid size do you use?

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: February 01, 2012, 12:55:29 pm »

Hmm... Out of curiosity, what grid size do you use?
That particular map was done on a size 4 grid. (It's zoomed out 3x from the base level.)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: February 01, 2012, 04:20:21 pm »

Do you have two completely disconnected systems in the bottom there?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: February 01, 2012, 04:40:47 pm »

He does; those are systems where information was gained by interrogating prisoners, but where he doesn't have knowledge of any systems between them and the known galaxy.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: February 01, 2012, 04:41:36 pm »

Yup. Discovered them through the "conquered enemy planets generate surrendering ships" bug. I took a few Precursor listening posts, and kept winding up with combat transports full of troops in unknown systems. I disbanded them (since I had no jump points and no grav sensors, they couldn't escape the system) but it still left with me the system knowledge. And I managed to save two transports that were attached to known systems. Then I scrapped the ships and dissassembled the parts. I rationalized it as "scientific data discovered in the alien installations" and rationalized the extra troop regiments as "an influx of volunteers stemming from the 'great victory'". But any further defectors I'm just deleting.

And they have unexplored grav points now because the Bastani did some gravsurvey there apparently (and I had a gravsurvey sharing treaty from the Bastani). It's actually kind of irritating because now I have no idea what real star they are. The nearby system Sudo was found in the same way. I placed those two over there as a rough estimate of their location.

Things are going to get complicated in the near-future, as I'm preparing to go to war with the Bastani (who have about a 5-to-1 advantage in numbers, but are at least 25-30 years behind me in tech). Should be !!fun!!.  :D

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: February 02, 2012, 03:34:41 am »

Things are going to get complicated in the near-future, as I'm preparing to go to war with the Bastani (who have about a 5-to-1 advantage in numbers, but are at least 25-30 years behind me in tech). Should be !!fun!!.  :D

Reminds me of X3:AP, with the Terran and their obnoxiously unfair technology decimating me and my Argon buddies.. Do a write up of your war, I'm sure it will be Warhammer 40k levels of glorious.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: February 02, 2012, 08:45:23 am »

Sounds like the Bastani would be the space marines with a large badly equipped force of numbers pouring into the grinder, and redking would be the eldar or something, less troops but superior technology.
Something like that....
Needs more Dakka, where are the orcs?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: February 02, 2012, 09:29:36 am »

Just did another complete restructuring to help make room for some of the 8-JP and 10-JP nexus systems, but I'm not about to post another map until I've explored those and figured out how to fit them all in. Heck, I might eventually go for a ring system like RedKing's, if only because it may be the only way to fit everything within the maximum zoom level.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: February 02, 2012, 09:32:47 am »

Reminds me of X3:AP, with the Terran and their obnoxiously unfair technology decimating me and my Argon buddies.. Do a write up of your war, I'm sure it will be Warhammer 40k levels of glorious.
Oh, I will be. (See my sig for link to my fics on the Aurora forums.) I don't do the typical style of screenshots + describing the battle in third-person detail, though. I'm more into the made-up "fluff" story that I build around the game.

Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 1346