Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2703688 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9810 on: February 05, 2012, 02:02:43 am »

It might be because you have them set to point blank defense mode? I suppose the real test is whether they actually fire or not.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: February 05, 2012, 02:46:24 am »

The point is that they don't function properly; they've worked fine in all previous engagements, but now they don't function at all. I've already dealt with several salvos solely with CIWS, as I thankfully use redundant systems. Also, my Pegasus class CLs function perfectly in PD mode, and were designed after the most recent patch, while the CAs and PD cruisers are currently on a model designed before the patch, so I suspect that has something to do with it. I'm probably just going to have to keep my main battlegroups in Earth orbit for another 4 years or so when I start the next round of shipbuilding, and rely on my CL and frigate squadrons for the time being.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9812 on: February 05, 2012, 09:33:33 am »

Maybe you could try space mastering them out then back in again?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:07 am »

I have already tried that as well, with no change. I'm betting that as soon as I upgrade then the issue will be resolved, so until then I'm just going to figure out an RP angle for it.

3. Run Resize Enable

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9814 on: February 05, 2012, 11:44:22 am »

The point is that they don't function properly; they've worked fine in all previous engagements, but now they don't function at all. I've already dealt with several salvos solely with CIWS, as I thankfully use redundant systems. Also, my Pegasus class CLs function perfectly in PD mode, and were designed after the most recent patch, while the CAs and PD cruisers are currently on a model designed before the patch, so I suspect that has something to do with it. I'm probably just going to have to keep my main battlegroups in Earth orbit for another 4 years or so when I start the next round of shipbuilding, and rely on my CL and frigate squadrons for the time being.

I had the same bug a while back..my solution was to shelve the game :{

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9815 on: February 05, 2012, 12:49:50 pm »

I had the same bug a while back..my solution was to shelve the game :{

Damn, yeah, just tested a new postpatch ship with postpatch weapons, and they still don't work. Oh well, time to upgrade to the current version.  :(

Ed: Bahahaha! I was freaking out so hard when I fired up 5.60 and realized that all the windows were too tall for even ResizeEnable to make them usable, and was panicked that I'd never be able to play anything past 5.56... and then realized that I had to turn Reduced Height windows on, since it was a new version.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:07:54 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9816 on: February 06, 2012, 01:34:21 pm »

I read somewhere something about space stations being able to create ships.
if this is true, please, explain.

Well, not exactly. I mean, if you wanted to you could make an orbital habitat and have it tow a shipyard, but it would end up being like 5 million tons.

Currently ships can't build other ships.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: February 06, 2012, 02:09:25 pm »

So, how do you design a ship? I forgot to have it pregenerate ships and now I need some kind of explorer/ scout thing to find my first planet....

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9818 on: February 06, 2012, 02:19:46 pm »

Oh my... that is a lengthy process and actually the meat of the game... for some of us at least.

Basics of Design

That youtube guy might have a video of making basic ships too...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9819 on: February 06, 2012, 02:23:56 pm »

funny. that was one of the first things I self-taught.
Although, I still need to find an enemy empire to self-teach me how to die fight.
Same. I guess its because I have been playing these games from the age of 5 but ship design in aurora was intuitive and easy for me.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9820 on: February 06, 2012, 02:30:40 pm »

Is mars a good place to start or did you guys poke around other planets first?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9821 on: February 06, 2012, 02:36:03 pm »

Is mars a good place to start or did you guys poke around other planets first?
I usually colonize Mars and Titan with token colonies on the other marginally habitable worlds just to drum up trade opportunities for the civvies. Once you get them started they will grow the colonies on their own, providing free infrastructure and population for future colonization efforts.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9822 on: February 06, 2012, 02:59:36 pm »

How hard is it to oxygenize mars, or do we not get into atmosphere building?

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9823 on: February 06, 2012, 03:03:40 pm »

funny. that was one of the first things I self-taught.
Although, I still need to find an enemy empire to self-teach me how to die fight.

My attempt to self-teach ship design went something like "Wait, I need active sensors to tar-*BOOM*"

How hard is it to oxygenize mars, or do we not get into atmosphere building?

To get Mars up to full habitability I think you need to add about .5 atm with a combination of oxygen, greenhouse gas, and something inert (I use nitrogen). I'd say it's slightly on the easy side of terraforming; it starts with at least a little atmosphere which saves you time, and nothing that needs removing.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9824 on: February 06, 2012, 03:17:41 pm »

Venus is the hard one. Been working on that for years.
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1346