Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672638 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #9825 on: February 06, 2012, 04:57:02 pm »

Yeah, ship design was rather intuitive for me as well. As for colonzation/terraforming within Sol, here is a thread listing the pressures and gases you'll want to make each of the terraformable worlds 0.00 (or, in Titan's case, as close as possible).

I tend to SM some ruins onto Mars to give myself something to do while I'm turtling and teching, and for a bit of internal RP fun. I usually drop a load or two of infrastructure and colonists on Mars, but apart from that I tend to ignore Sol for anything beyond mining colonies, as there is usually a surplus of habitable worlds and a limited supply of free population.

On another note, new version + new game yay~, also, doing three JPs in Sol this time to tone down the galmap related headaches, YAAAAAAAAAAY~.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9826 on: February 06, 2012, 05:24:51 pm »

huh, it appears that earth (in my game, Dune, inhabited by fremen) is creating infrastructure by itself.
is this something that the companies do? I have one company that owns 4 freighters and 2 colony ships, so would it be these blokes?
Infrastructure is created as a trade good and becomes 'real' once delivered to another planet or 'used' by the planet it is on. It will only be used by the planet it is on if they need the infrastructure to live though, as far as I know. Earth shouldn't be using it but should be trading it to other colonies unless you have unterraformed earth so that it requires infra to live?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9827 on: February 06, 2012, 05:30:36 pm »

Eh, then you can just move the infrastructure off to the next colony. It never goes away or anything.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: February 06, 2012, 05:58:53 pm »

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. In fact, it's cold as hell.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: February 06, 2012, 06:05:55 pm »

Actually, that is about perfect for raising kids.

3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9830 on: February 06, 2012, 06:59:05 pm »

Eh, then you can just move the infrastructure off to the next colony. It never goes away or anything.
I know, but no other places seem to have resources, and mars only has 200000 duranium...
I need to whip out some more geo survey teams...
It doesn't matter where the resources are, put people on anything marginally habitable. It will increase your overall growth rate and generate wealth for things like research and construction. You can use automated factories and mass drivers for mining.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: February 06, 2012, 11:23:35 pm »

New game, new map, extraordinary luck:

Also, there are 3 wrecks in Sirius; 7000 tons, 21000 tons, and 109350 tons. No planets suggests no Precursors, so I'll be salvaging those as soon as I build a salvage ship.  :D

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: February 06, 2012, 11:48:13 pm »

Bah, darn you and your great Epsilon Eridani one jump from Sol. Mine is 3 jumps from Sol, and has only 3 Venus-like planets, a atmosphere-less planet with .3G, and one earth-like moon in orbit of a Venus-like but with too much gravity.

And darn your Alpha Centauri. Mine has nothing but 2 planets with 20+ Colony Cost.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:49:54 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: February 07, 2012, 12:30:59 am »

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I fully expect my next jump to be into a system full of Swarm.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: February 07, 2012, 08:55:48 am »

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I fully expect my next jump to be into a system full of Swarm.
I may be cruel for thinking this, but I hope your game makes some extragalactic invader-tech civs in your next system you discover and are hell bent on war.
AFAIK, it is impossible for an NPR to spawn with greater than low-level T-N tech (around Ion Engine levels), unless the player SMs in an NPR with high tech. The only way for something similar to that to happen would be to jump into a system where a wormhole has been moving around for years.

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: February 07, 2012, 09:16:12 am »

well crap, i should stop myself from researching that magnetoplastmathingymawhatsit and related engines, etc so i'll have a challenge for all the NPR's i'll get with the 75% spawn rate i have set...
Which i imagine will screw me over when swarm or something else spawns.
In related news i believe i finally have a fleet capable of taking on that first contact, I don't remember if i have actually played a game through long enough to actually clear a system (except for a few space master tests), so this should be interesting.
Said fleet is possibly overkill  unless it gets wiped out due to it's extremely short missile range (nothing over 36million km) but it's a pretty big fleet of basic ion level tech 4000 ton frigates so i imagine i'll win simply from the enemy running out of ammo.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: February 07, 2012, 09:37:20 am »

Unless the enemy is Swarm.

On the first note, you can SM in a habitable system and a new race, give them tech and an OOB for any tech level you want, and then automate them, and SM link one of your systems to theirs, so you could make 'first contact' with an NPR with, say TL 7 average tech and an established fleet. Admittedly, they would probably advance slower than you as per usual, but you could still up the NPR economic advantage to 250% or so, and set them high enough that it'd take a while to catch up.

3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: February 07, 2012, 09:51:09 am »

Haha, my AMM frigates are equipped with the resolution 100/300 million km range sensors i designed for my PDCs/defence satellites, not with the resolution 1 PD sensors i designed. *facepalm* Time to fire up sm, I'm glad I saw that before moving Fleet A containing 4 missile frigates with 2 jump tenders and an ordnance vessel, and fleet B with 2 jump tenders, 2 AMM ships, 12 FAC and an ordnance ship through the black hole system (at 1000km/s) then through 2 other systems.(note i have no carriers so every 15 days i would need to refuel the FACs)
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: February 07, 2012, 12:37:38 pm »

Woohoo, big Precursor presence to wipe out in a nearby system!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:40:30 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: February 07, 2012, 07:46:42 pm »

Sorry if someone already asked this in this thread, but how do you deactivate an industry?
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 1346