Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672449 times)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5460 on: July 18, 2011, 05:04:51 pm »

I don't expect it to beat the gunboat in a fight, I expect it to beat it in a race.  :P

Anyway, if 250 tons is big, then... about what size should they be? The smallest one I can currently make is still 135 tons... it goes fast, but has just a single shot missile launcher. Adding more weapons obviously slows it back down. Probably a much better question to ask would be how fast is fighter a supposed to be?

However fast you want it to be? There's no required or essential speed; you're just trading firepower for speed and should settle on whatever ratio you want.

Missiles are probably too big for fighters, at least the standard-tech missiles.  With their high speed, beam weapons may be possible and smaller.  Railguns if you got them.  Or box launched-missiles, as your fighter will likely be dead before the reload anyways.

Box launcher fighters should never get shot at. Their small size should mean enemies can't pick them up on sensors outside of their point defense sensor range, and you can launch missiles from far outside that. The best way to use them is therefor skirmishing; you send them in, launch their missiles, retreat to the mothership and reload, and repeat as long as the mothership has fuel and missiles. In return, you can use short range missiles with larger warheads for their size, since you don't need to devote room for fuel. Effectively you're making multistage missiles where the first stage is reusable.

As long as the fighters are faster than the enemy ships and you keep the mothership out of range (hidden, ideally), the enemy shouldn't be able to shoot back.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: July 19, 2011, 01:29:13 am »

Is there an "estimate fuel needed to get to nearest fueling colony" button I am missing somewhere?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: July 19, 2011, 01:31:37 am »

I've run into Precursors that were capable of picking up the 250-ton fighters at 17 mkm and volley-fired 1,224 (24 volleys of 51) size-1 missiles with enough range to reach them as they retreated.

Too bad for the Precursor that the fighter missiles had integral sensors, so losing the targeting sensors didn't do them much good.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: July 19, 2011, 02:33:39 am »

I tried installing this but was completely overwhelmed by all the options and menus. Now all my right-click menus are different and it's a bit unnerving. This may be a dumb question, but how can I change it back besides a full system restore?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my kind of silly question and helping.

I've been following this thread for a while and actualy like the look of the game, but this is the reason why I still haven't downloaded it. I'm too afraid of borking my os.

I know it's safe to install and all that, it just gives me the willies man.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: July 19, 2011, 02:51:47 am »

It has had no effect on my OS at all as far as I can tell. And I've had this game for... before I signed up I believe. So I can say with confidence that it will not bork your OS unless you screw up massively in the installation.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ikaruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: July 19, 2011, 03:44:36 am »

Does someone know how the "Civilian tab" actually works ?
It's not very clear to me what the "Demand" and "Supply" do.
Does it mean I have to supply stuff somewhere ? And if so, what do I get ?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: July 19, 2011, 04:15:31 am »

They basically tell the civies what stuff you have on a planet or what stuff you want to have on a planet.

Supply basically tells them "Here, I have X much of X here".

Demand tells them "I want X much of X here".

They will take stuff from supply and deliver it to demand places.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ikaruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: July 19, 2011, 05:40:08 am »

Ok ! Thanks a lot !

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: July 19, 2011, 08:21:17 am »

I tried installing this but was completely overwhelmed by all the options and menus. Now all my right-click menus are different and it's a bit unnerving. This may be a dumb question, but how can I change it back besides a full system restore?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my kind of silly question and helping.

I've been following this thread for a while and actualy like the look of the game, but this is the reason why I still haven't downloaded it. I'm too afraid of borking my os.

I know it's safe to install and all that, it just gives me the willies man.

You could save a system restore point immediate before you install it, then restore if you mess up.  Admittedly, the install is sort of complicated.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: July 19, 2011, 02:58:19 pm »

(Page 2? Not on my space-watch!)

Anyway, the only issues with my OS Aurora has caused me is changing my font color for right-click menus after startup, which may just be caused by running any of my games but I haven't tested that yet. It changes my font color by creating an "Unsaved Theme" then setting Windows to use it, which only changes my font color for the menus, nothing else.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: July 21, 2011, 05:56:00 pm »

I've decided to try to do a play-through using a nomadic space born race but want to know if the concept is valid. I figured it would break down like this:

-One colossal orbital habitat, with something like a million colonists and a very large cargo hold for minerals. Maintenance modules too probably. I still need to decide if it moves on it's own power or is pulled by a tug.
-Shipyard/Shipyards pulled by either the Orbital Habitat or it's own tug.
-A fuel harvesting fleet.
-Asteroid mining fleet.
-Survey fleet
-And of course a defense fleet

What I need to know is:
A. Can a shipyard operate in deepspace using a orbital habitat population or do I have to being orbiting a planet.
B. Can shipyards pull resources out of cargoholds or do they need to be dumped on the planet.
C. Can sorium harvesters keep sorium production high enough to reasonably supply a fleet for an indefinite amount of time.
D. Can anything appreciable even be built/constructed with only a million people.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: July 21, 2011, 06:00:39 pm »

A. Can a shipyard operate in deepspace using a orbital habitat population or do I have to being orbiting a planet.
It must be orbiting a planet.

B. Can shipyards pull resources out of cargoholds or do they need to be dumped on the planet.
I'm not completely sure, but I believe they need to be dumped.

C. Can sorium harvesters keep sorium production high enough to reasonably supply a fleet for an indefinite amount of time.
Depends on how often you orbit a gas giant, how many harvesters there are, how often a Sorium-filled ones are generated, and how accessible the Sorium is.

D. Can anything appreciable even be built/constructed with only a million people.
Haha, within a reasonable timeframe, I believe there's a 98% chance that is no.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: July 21, 2011, 06:18:08 pm »

Just saw this thread, had an orgasm.

I've played Space Empires, Orion, Galactic Civ, and every damn space empire game out there. I WANT PLAY NAO!

First order of business: figure out how to find a mud client and download this game.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: July 21, 2011, 06:21:11 pm »

...Mud client? What? Why would you need a Mud client?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: July 21, 2011, 06:22:36 pm »

Sorry I confused myself, let me change that to 'figure out how to install and run this game without crashing my computer'

I'm currently installing a bunch of MUDs so I mixed it up for a second there.

HATEmoo, Aurora, Cataclysm, Mmmm....
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 1346