Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672558 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5505 on: July 22, 2011, 06:13:22 pm »

Jeez, you need some serious amount of shields, missile-bait ships or something. Obviously the current tactic is not working.
Yeah.
You REALLY need better point defense and armored power cores/engines, dude  :-\

Looking at your tech, I'd just use laser turrets that can fire every five seconds. Have a ship covered with them exclusively for missile defense, and that should cut down on your casualties.

...is there really only a single alien ship? They must be the alien version of Spartans, or something D:
There's 9.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5506 on: July 22, 2011, 06:14:37 pm »

Sorryfordoublebutthisgemdoesn'tbelongonthesecondpage,

Anyway, the ships just randomly opened fire again, after a long drawn out pursuit there was a casualty among the new and improved warships:

-snip-

Someone give that alien crew a medal  :o

(all caused by strength 1 missiles)
Could you post the design of the ship that is being shot? Unless the enemy is firing a metric fuckton of strength 1 missiles, you should be getting a lot more protection out of your armor. Lots of tiny missiles usually cause a 'sandpaper' effect across armor and only breaches it after a few volleys unless the volleys are just overwhelming.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: July 22, 2011, 06:17:48 pm »

Sorryfordoublebutthisgemdoesn'tbelongonthesecondpage,

Anyway, the ships just randomly opened fire again, after a long drawn out pursuit there was a casualty among the new and improved warships:

-snip-

Someone give that alien crew a medal  :o

(all caused by strength 1 missiles)
Could you post the design of the ship that is being shot? Unless the enemy is firing a metric fuckton of strength 1 missiles, you should be getting a lot more protection out of your armor. Lots of tiny missiles usually cause a 'sandpaper' effect across armor and only breaches it after a few volleys unless the volleys are just overwhelming.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ah well, atleast losing is fun!

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: July 22, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »

If all the enemy is using is strength 1 missiles (which probably means they're shooting their antimissiles at you), then point defense wont accomplish much. Every missile you shoot down is just one less damage after all; you'd be better stripping all the point defense weapons off and adding more armor (and maybe researching better armor tech).

Edit: How many missiles are they shooting to sandpaper through a thousand points of armor?!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:21:47 pm by Bremen »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: July 22, 2011, 06:23:45 pm »

If all the enemy is using is strength 1 missiles (which probably means they're shooting their antimissiles at you), then point defense wont accomplish much. Every missile you shoot down is just one less damage after all; you'd be better stripping all the point defense weapons off and adding more armor (and maybe researching better armor tech).

Edit: How many missiles are they shooting to sandpaper through a thousand points of armor?!
They've probably shot over 1500 missiles by now, they never seem to run out.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: July 22, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »

Good GOD man, and I thought I was making ships fast! That speed is usually reserved for my frigates and corvettes! Why do you need that monster to be that fast?

Anyway, you lack any missiles on that ship. Do you have missile ships too? If not, it should be fairly easy to see why you're loosing.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: July 22, 2011, 06:32:31 pm »

Good GOD man, and I thought I was making ships fast! That speed is usually reserved for my frigates and corvettes! Why do you need that monster to be that fast?

Anyway, you lack any missiles on that ship. Do you have missile ships too? If not, it should be fairly easy to see why you're loosing.
Shooting missiles against something that pumps out that many anti-missiles? That's like trying to stop an avalanche by throwing a rock at it  ::)

Perhaps shields are the solution here? Strength 1 hits oughta be stopped by decent shield tech.

Also: Why-oh-why do you not have better fuel efficency?  :o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: July 22, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »

I'm working on designing missile ships, before I set them up for production, what is the limit on how many missiles a ship can store?

@Tarran: I don't really know, I also never really pay attention to class names too much.

@Sirus: I never really bothered with it, I have more fuel than I would ever need.

Also, they're firing anti-missile missiles at me now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:49:37 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: July 22, 2011, 07:09:56 pm »

Shooting missiles against something that pumps out that many anti-missiles? That's like trying to stop an avalanche by throwing a rock at it  ::)
At least the avalanche will be preoccupied until it runs out of steam or you do. ::)

And besides, without missiles, he has to effectively run up to the avalanche and hit it with his hands while it's moving away and bombarding him with hundreds of rocks. That's EVEN WORSE.

@Tarran: I don't really know, I also never really pay attention to class names too much.
It's not the class names, it's the SHEER SPEED for that ship size. That kind of size is reserved for carriers and such in my game, and they aren't even remotely as fast.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:11:59 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: July 22, 2011, 07:40:06 pm »

At least the avalanche will be preoccupied until it runs out of steam or you do. ::)

And besides, without missiles, he has to effectively run up to the avalanche and hit it with his hands while it's moving away and bombarding him with hundreds of rocks. That's EVEN WORSE.

It's not the class names, it's the SHEER SPEED for that ship size. That kind of size is reserved for carriers and such in my game, and they aren't even remotely as fast.
Eh, I just do what works for me.

I'm working on designing missile ships, before I set them up for production, what is the limit on how many missiles a ship can store?
Also need an answer for this.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: July 22, 2011, 07:42:23 pm »

No limit. You can put as many clips on as you want, really.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: July 22, 2011, 07:45:29 pm »

No limit. You can put as many clips on as you want, really.
So is a designed magazine used alongside a missile launcher or is it just optional for faster reloads along with a risk of explosion?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: July 22, 2011, 07:49:20 pm »

They serve as ammo storage, nothing more. They do not decrease the load time. They do not work along side a missile launcher (a single clip can be used by any number of missile launchers). If they blow up, all the missiles in them blow up. They have a chance to eject before then, depending on your ejection chance tech.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: July 22, 2011, 08:35:57 pm »

My first missile ship, thoughts?

It is loaded with these:

Note that this is my very first missile + ship ever designed, I would like to know everything that is wrong and whether or not I will get smeared.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: July 22, 2011, 08:43:43 pm »

1: Why does it need to be that fast?

2: That's a small magazine. It will only do for 32 volleys, or 58 missiles.

3: Your RoF for your missiles is poor.

4: Your MFC far out-ranges your sensors.

5: You don't need ECCM for each missile launcher, just one for each Fire Control.

Missiles:

Nothing really. Your missile is a little fast for my taste, but it doesn't matter really, I suppose the fast missile could overcome the anti-missile fire to result in a near equal damage-per-missile ratio to a larger-warhead-but-slower missile.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 1346