Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672612 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5520 on: July 22, 2011, 08:49:50 pm »

1: I prefer faster ships.

2: Okay.

3: I didn't notice that, comes from being a novice at warship designing :P

4: Okay.

5: Oh, I was under the impression it stacked like ECM did.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: July 22, 2011, 08:56:48 pm »

Wait... ECM doesn't stack. At least, not as far as I can tell.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: July 22, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »

Well, it does say "ECM 10" unlike ECCM.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: July 22, 2011, 09:01:23 pm »

Yeah, it does. But I tried it myself. Added two ECMs. The number did not change.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5524 on: July 22, 2011, 10:38:54 pm »

ECM and ECCM gain in effectiveness as you research better ones, but putting more than one ECM or more than one ECCM per fire control does nothing but offer redundancy as far as I know.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: July 22, 2011, 11:46:15 pm »

Also, if you keep having problem with the storm of damage 1 missiles, I'd recommend you increase armor a lot. Reduce speed if needed, but make armor to the 20-30, or even more if your tech is high. As the actual damage is low, it'll will eat a lot more missiles than your current design. And considering that they seem to be firing missiles by the hundreds if not by the thousands, active defenses are unlikely to be of any use.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5526 on: July 23, 2011, 10:18:05 am »

And since the missiles are so small you can likely outrange them easily. Determine what range they start firing at and make your own missiles longer ranged, then stay that distance away.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: July 23, 2011, 12:47:10 pm »

Good GOD man, and I thought I was making ships fast! That speed is usually reserved for my frigates and corvettes! Why do you need that monster to be that fast?

Anyway, you lack any missiles on that ship. Do you have missile ships too? If not, it should be fairly easy to see why you're loosing.
Shooting missiles against something that pumps out that many anti-missiles? That's like trying to stop an avalanche by throwing a rock at it  ::)
At least the avalanche will be preoccupied until it runs out of steam or you do. ::)

And besides, without missiles, he has to effectively run up to the avalanche and hit it with his hands while it's moving away and bombarding him with hundreds of rocks. That's EVEN WORSE.
I feel the urge to sig this but I don't know if that goes over the limit or not.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: July 23, 2011, 01:43:23 pm »

Well, let me see...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
810 characters.

624 characters.

466 characters! Go ahead, it's under the limit. Though you may need to remove most of your current sig text or shorten the pun URL.

Edit: Wait, it's more than 5 lines.
Try this.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:45:12 pm by Tarran »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: July 23, 2011, 02:29:06 pm »

Ah, that worked. Thanks a bundle.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: July 23, 2011, 02:33:17 pm »

Well at least antimissles don't hurt you like an avalanche does.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: July 23, 2011, 03:14:26 pm »

Unless hundreds or thousands come at you. Then it does. :P

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: July 23, 2011, 07:37:26 pm »

Well at least antimissles don't hurt you like an avalanche does.

I beg to differ. That cruiser he posted exploding had more armor than my battleships.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: July 23, 2011, 08:29:11 pm »

Yeah, the enemy must've fired some 3000 anti-missiles before the sensor was destroyed and I scuttled the last survivor.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: July 23, 2011, 10:00:45 pm »

Made my first jump ship ever, had to scrap it to 1/3 the size to be able to fit the jump drive, sent a geo and grav ship through with it, immediately bumped into 4 alien ships of a Jaguar race. I'm stuck going at 60 seconds a time for some reason and they're literally docked with one of my ships, following it everywhere I go without opening fire.

I found one planet in the system with PERFECT conditions for me, though every single other body has utterly freezing temps.

Someone help me with not being able to go more than 60 seconds at a time, and also explain what a grav survey ship is for? Never did figure out how to use it, though my geo survey ship is very well-used, along with a geo-5 man team I bring with it :)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 1346