Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672344 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5535 on: July 23, 2011, 10:31:21 pm »

You can scuttle all the ships by going into the ships menu and destroying them. A grav survey ship surveys locations for jump points, using a primary order, or you can set them individually.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: July 23, 2011, 11:13:37 pm »

being able to go no more than 60 seconds at a time is probably due to some nprs fighting each other, it can be got around by using some sort of auto-turn setting, unfortunately I haven't played recently enough to remember where it is or what exactly it is called  :-\ 

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: July 23, 2011, 11:26:31 pm »

No, it's due to some NPRs following Ehndras' ships and forcing combat mode, though not shooting. What I did in that situation in the past was to delete the taskgroup, though if it's more valuable you might want to try to get to the jump point at 1 minute turns (figure out how long it will take and set auto turns overnight, maybe).

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: July 24, 2011, 12:00:09 am »

....Fuck.

Alpha Centauri, my 2nd system discovered, has 2 alien races. One's neutral, the other one just popped up, killed the neutral races ships that were tailing me, and then proceeded to fire missiles at me. Two of my survey ships are dead...

And, drumroll...!

I just found out that taking off my power plant to converse space for a Jump drive was a STUPID idea. I don't have any power to fire weapons apparently. :P

These aggressors are ridiculously advanced, with their ships going 6.5k kms while my fastest ship goes 2k, as per tutorial.

About time I start upgrading my ships, as I don't want these crazy bastards coming through the JP and plopping right in front of Earth, hahaha
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: July 24, 2011, 12:14:18 am »

A quick question: It seems the commander of the two fallen ships and a few civvies have survived in lifepods, hopefully my geo-team as well. How do I pick those up...? Do I need cryo, cargo space, or a specific type of ship/component to pick those guys up to bring them home?

I hope they don't die in the lifepod after a while... I won't be able to get another jump-capable ship for quite some time.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: July 24, 2011, 12:17:23 am »

I think you get 30 days for lifepods, nothing special is needed to pick them up.  They're dead.

Just as well, as recovering them would likely give away your jump point location.  The aliens may find it anyways, but you need time to prepare for their assault.

I'd say prepare for Jump Point Defense on your side of the jump point.

If your foe should enter your system, their sensors will be offline for a few seconds.  You've got to hit them with as much as you possibly can during that time.  You'll be able to get nice and close, so whatever weapons get you the most damage that you've already got.

Swarm them.  Good luck.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: July 24, 2011, 12:18:00 am »

I am not sure what you need to save them, but the lifepod has an endurance clock, you can see it by the name on the system view screen. When it runs out, everybody that survived the ship's demise will die all at the same time, more than likely due to life support failure.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: July 24, 2011, 12:20:17 am »

Hmm, more than likely they're dead then, it'll take me too long to rescue them, if the rescue ship doesn't get insta-killed as well.

I need to research some sort of missile tech >_>

All I have are tutorial-made beam weaponry so I'm going to camp. a few of those guys by the jump point, in two squads so I always have SOMEONE there.

Active sensors ON?

(Apologies for the trouble, I am brand spankin' new to this and I bloody LOVE it, its just a bit difficult to get into the ridiculously awesome complexity and all the commands. :) )

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: July 24, 2011, 12:22:55 am »

Sensors on, yes, better yet, have some thermal sensors too.

Make sure you have the ships on your side of the gate, beam weapons have a terrifyingly low range at your tech level and you'll have more holes than swiss cheese by the time you get in range to shoot.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: July 24, 2011, 12:25:19 am »

Aye I have thermals on all my ships, I'm assuming those run automatically from what I've seen & read.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: July 24, 2011, 12:26:55 am »

Aye I have thermals on all my ships, I'm assuming those run automatically from what I've seen & read.
Indeed, I'm not completely sure if ships that have jumped still have a thermal signature until they start moving again, however.

EDIT: I believe ships that have jumped are incapable of attacking for some 60 seconds.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5546 on: July 24, 2011, 12:28:24 am »

System defense is easy for inhabited systems.

Step 1: Determine longest distance from the inhabited planet to the jump points.
Step 2: Design a 2 stage drone which can traverse at least that distance, with the 2nd stage being several missiles.
Step 3: Design a PDC which has sensors and a fire control of at least that range and can launch large volleys.
Step 4: Pave the planet in PDC.

Invader comes in, drones go out, invader does the antimatter happy dance of doom.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: July 24, 2011, 12:31:19 am »

I wonder how long a ship could survive something like that if it has PD worth it's marbles.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: July 24, 2011, 12:33:22 am »

Sadly its not nearby. The hostile system JP is out after Uranus, meaning its far as f-ck from anything accessible.

The other JP is RIGHT next to Earth, to the point where Earth comes within a few k-kms on its orbit, which is perfect for defense.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: July 24, 2011, 12:39:56 am »

Hmm... Interesting...

I've identified 2 neutral species, and the 3rd species I found, the ones who killed my 3 ships, are so difficult to contact that my communications people decided they're too alien to ever speak to. They've halted communications attempts with them.

Ridiculously-high speed engines, higher therms than all other ships, great weaponry, aggressive from the get-go, xeno-communicationa impossible...

If this is a standard NPC, I'm fucked. If this is something worse, I'm even worse off. :P

FUN!
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 1346