Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2673044 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5550 on: July 24, 2011, 12:43:03 am »

Probably precursors, they tend to have great tech compared to yours when you find them last I heard.

A good way to check is to punch some holes in the armor, if it doesn't stream atmosphere then it's a precursor ship.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: July 24, 2011, 12:49:55 am »

System defense is easy for inhabited systems.

Step 1: Determine longest distance from the inhabited planet to the jump points.
Step 2: Design a 2 stage drone which can traverse at least that distance, with the 2nd stage being several missiles.
Step 3: Design a PDC which has sensors and a fire control of at least that range and can launch large volleys.
Step 4: Pave the planet in PDC.

Invader comes in, drones go out, invader does the antimatter happy dance of doom.

This was my standard system defense doctrine, until I realized that my 3 billion kilometer range drones cost nearly as much as the ships they would destroy :P

Since fighters apparently cost no maintenance, I'm thinking about PDC missile bases for system defense in the future. With box launcher fighters, they can effectively be used as a reusable drone stage for the missiles. Also works well against enemies with ECM, since you don't need multi-billion km fire control.

I'm also considering a "sphere of denial" with huge amounts of point defense from PDCs to force an enemy into close range, where the PDCs blow them up with thousands of short range missiles. Probably more efficient, but also more vulnerable and can't defend other colonies in the system.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 12:53:21 am by Bremen »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: July 24, 2011, 01:11:51 am »

Ridiculously-high speed engines, higher therms than all other ships, great weaponry, aggressive from the get-go, xeno-communicationa impossible...

If this is a standard NPC, I'm fucked. If this is something worse, I'm even worse off. :P
Even faster than 6500km/s? Like, say, 10000km/s or something similar?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, the first attackers are likely the Precursors themselves.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: July 24, 2011, 01:21:48 am »

Hmm...

I think I might think about re-starting from stratch and designing my own ships and such. Tutorial was nice to get on my feet but I've wasted 4 years on random shit.

My only two issues are:

1) Shipyards confuse me. I can't build one of my ships, sized at 12k tons, in any of my shipyards, even though they all are of enough size besides two of them.

2) I still don't get the fire control and weapons thing. I'm assuming FC are targeting systems, and each weapon needs a specific FC system dependent on the specified range, though the close and long-range FC+weapons confused the hell out of me in the tutorial.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: July 24, 2011, 01:27:52 am »

FCs are indeed targeting systems, you need a FC range atleast equal to your highest range assigned weapon to get the most out of them, you assign weapons in the combat screen to individual fire controls, and they can be told to attack different targets. You should have one for your main weapons and one for your PD.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: July 24, 2011, 01:30:00 am »

Also, 1: You need to retool the shipwards for the specific classes of ship you want to build in them.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: July 24, 2011, 01:31:53 am »

Yeah, I got that down, but it won't let me retool either on Navy or commercial.

I tried making a ship for scavenging wrecks but I can't build it. Perhaps I f'd up on the design, I'll go check it out...
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: July 24, 2011, 01:32:15 am »

Also, you need a fire control to actually attack anything and sensors to actually see the enemy so you can attack them.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: July 24, 2011, 01:33:19 am »

1) Shipyards confuse me. I can't build one of my ships, sized at 12k tons, in any of my shipyards, even though they all are of enough size besides two of them.
Is it of the right class? (commercial shipyard for commercial ships, military shipyards for military ships?) They cannot and will not build ships of the opposite mil-com axis.

2) I still don't get the fire control and weapons thing. I'm assuming FC are targeting systems, and each weapon needs a specific FC system dependent on the specified range, though the close and long-range FC+weapons confused the hell out of me in the tutorial.
FC are targeting systems, each weapon needs a FC of the same speed rating and range as the weapons to get the best performance, but beam FC can take any amount of beam weapons, even different kinds of beam weapons, and vice-versa for missiles (though beam FC cannot work with missile weapons and missiles cannot work with beam FC). The short-ranged and smaller but faster tracking weapons and the corresponding FC are likely for PD.

PPEDIT: Ninjas! Bah, screw you guys I'm posting the above text anyway.

I tried making a ship for scavenging wrecks but I can't build it. Perhaps I f'd up on the design, I'll go check it out...
That's... strange. I'm kinda clueless on this.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: July 24, 2011, 01:39:57 am »

2100 Thermal, 69,000 tonnage ship just Jumped into my system. FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: July 24, 2011, 01:42:44 am »

Which race? What speed is it?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: July 24, 2011, 01:44:38 am »

Retooling takes time, and you can't retool if the shipyard is currently doing another task, such as retooling, expanding, or adding slipways (best as I can recall).

If you're only getting some message about the shipyard currently engaged in a task, then see if you can push past it to retool, as shipyards default to constant expansion, but constant expansion can always be interrupted, despite the message Aurora displays.

If only one ship jumped into your system, it's a geosurvey vessel.  They're just looking to see what's up.  Are they the same species that your team refuses to communicate with?  If so, kill them QUICKLY!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: July 24, 2011, 01:52:02 am »

Which race? What speed is it?

The ship belongs to the stronger of the neutral races, now oddly turned hostile. Its floating at the jump point and I just learned how to designate FC to weaponry, assign target, and I opened fire :D Its leaking atmosphere but no critical system failures yet so I'm assuming its got some pretty good armor tech.

--- --- ---

NinjaEdit:

I destroyed it o_O About 10-15 hits for 3 damage each by my lasers and it blew up. I see a lifepod and wreckage... If only I could capture the pop to interrogate the crew for intel ;)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: July 24, 2011, 01:54:06 am »

Nevermind. O_O

391 crew members rescued, interrogations carried out.

Man, the game designer thought of everything :P

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: July 24, 2011, 02:10:52 am »

I strongly advise armor on most parts of warships, as you can see by this spoiler tag, lots of unprotected parts is catastrophic.
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1346