Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2730437 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6840 on: September 13, 2011, 09:26:47 pm »

Seeing as I only use 2 twin-turrets of ultraviolet 15cm lasers, I think that's a bit much. But what do I know? Barely anything.
Anyway, what's a good % of oxygen to pump into Mars? Around 20%, as that's what Earth has?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6841 on: September 13, 2011, 09:45:02 pm »

Should cargo ships be military or civilian? If they have to be civilian, can you still boss them around if you make them or is that in the hands of the computer citizenry?

Always make everything you can civilian. The savings on maintenance costs and no maintenance failures (which means no overhauls either) is super helpful.

Question: Is it worth loading a ship with a veritable shitton of low-accuracy high firepower 10cm gauss turrets? Because I figure a quad gauss turret with 5sec ROF and 32 shots per volley, even with 17% accuracy, could be mighty lethal. 10 of those turrets (armored) would only require 2,300 tons, and would put out 320 1-dmg shots every five seconds. At 17% accuracy, that is an average of 54.4 hits every five seconds, which equates to 54.4 dmg (on average) per combat turn. If I did my maths right, that would mean 3840 shots and 652.8 dmg per minute, 230,400 shots and 39,168 dmg per hour. Is this actually worthwhile?

Gauss can be quite lethal if you can actually get within range of the target, and the first few smaller sizes are good - but I wouldnt go with too small. Without taking into account other things (crew grade, etc) 10 size 0.6 guns at 10 accuracy each means on average you'll hit 1 volley every time they fire, but one size 6 gun at 100 accuracy means you hit one every time they fire. All shrinking it did was make the gun less reliable, because sometimes you won't hit at all and sometimes you'll hit more than once.

I often go to the 5 size for 85% accuracy or the 4 size for 67% accuracy, since crew grade can make up for most if not all of that at point blank and 15% accuracy for a 16.67% size decrease is worth it by itself for the size 5, but none of the smaller ones are worth it imo. You also have other things that affect the accuracy - the fire control range rating is 50% accuracy at that range, point blank is 100%. And like I mentioned crew grade gives an accuracy boost too, sometimes a substantial one considering how good your crew is. The 34% bonus crew aboard one ship I have made firing a weapon at the 75% accuracy range an accuracy of 109%, which made actual accuracy with the 85% turrets 92.65%. At point blank they were getting 146%, which would mean a 97.82% hit rate even with the size 4 gauss weapons.

As far as your sandbox game, starting with all techs is just going to slaughter everything and get boring. Will take you longer to find something to kill than go in and kill it, even invaders :P

Seeing as I only use 2 twin-turrets of ultraviolet 15cm lasers, I think that's a bit much. But what do I know? Barely anything.
Anyway, what's a good % of oxygen to pump into Mars? Around 20%, as that's what Earth has?

0.1 is all you actually need, so I'd go with 0.1. The thing is you can't have oxygen at 30% or more of the total atmosphere, so with 0.2 you need more other gases to make up for it. With .1 you can get away with half the other gases and have it terraformed sooner. You can always go in later and add more gas if you just want to make it like Earth, but it isn't necessary.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: September 13, 2011, 10:08:54 pm »

Should cargo ships be military or civilian? If they have to be civilian, can you still boss them around if you make them or is that in the hands of the computer citizenry?

Civilian. Definitely civilian.

2 reasons why:

It allows you to put civilian engines on them without getting a TON of failure rate.
It allows civilian shipping companies to build them.

Both are VERY important.

You can boss around any ship you build.

Also, civilian ships that the civilian corporations build will be automated. However, through setting for instance a demand for infrastructure on Mars, and a supply on Earth, that is how they will be automated.

Basically it saves you a whole lot of work.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: September 13, 2011, 10:31:45 pm »

A planet needs at least 1/10 of an atmosphere worth of oxygen but no more than 30% of the total composition of gases.  Otherwise oxygen is just an ordinary, non-greenhouse gas.

Something like .1 atm oxygen and .8 atm of CO2 should make it fully habitable.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: September 13, 2011, 10:44:10 pm »

You don't even need that much CO2.

As long as you have no toxic gases (like chlorine), at least 0.1 atm of oxygen, just enough nitrogen, CO2, or other gases to avoid the toxic oxygen levels, and are the bare limits of temperature, it's habitable. Worlds with 0 Celsius, 0.1 Oxygen, and .3 Safe Greenhouse Gas is a common sight in my games :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: September 13, 2011, 10:50:43 pm »

I meant, that's about what it takes to get Mars to zero colony cost.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: September 13, 2011, 10:56:39 pm »

If I remember correctly, proper mix for Mars is:
0.105atm O2
0.227atm CO2
0.043atm N2

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: September 14, 2011, 01:01:48 am »

Where is said Lets Play Multiplayer? I want to join in. :)
It's here, but when I joined the space master decided that the game was full enough now and entries are closed. You can now only play RP roles and play neutral enemies. I don't think there are any right now though.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:10:37 am by Dutchling »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6848 on: September 14, 2011, 06:36:44 am »

Is/is not overkill?
I assume that you play with maintenance off? You could never design and use something like this without turning off parts of the game.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: September 14, 2011, 08:26:11 am »

Is/is not overkill?
I assume that you play with maintenance off? You could never design and use something like this without turning off parts of the game.
"Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 2279    AFR 64800% "
Yeah i think you kinda need maintenance off for this one
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6850 on: September 14, 2011, 09:25:01 am »

Yeah, I noted that I had maint off because that was a cheatmode game for me to have fun with tactical elements of the combat. On that note, adding about a dozen engineering spaces bumped the maint life up to 4.04 years, so I could probably have made it operable without too much effort.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: September 14, 2011, 01:01:36 pm »

I wish I could play this so bad. If I boost the resolution, the text is just pixels, or everything is severely disporportioned  :'(

It looked like such an awesome game, too.

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: September 14, 2011, 01:27:01 pm »

If your problem is oversized windows, there is an option to reduce them.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: September 14, 2011, 01:27:59 pm »

If your problem is oversized windows, there is an option to reduce them.
:o
Where? Where?

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: September 14, 2011, 02:12:15 pm »

Launch the game
And then Game parameters > Reduced Height Windows
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 1346