Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 844 845 [846] 847 848 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672566 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12675 on: December 04, 2012, 09:45:20 pm »

So a Jump Point Defense Base is effectively a waste of time? PDC's don't seem to need maintanence though. My PDC's around Earth are up to a 60000% annual break rate but never have had maintenance problems.

The wiki says I have to transport the prefab parts via cargo ships but I don't even have the option to pick them up from Earth.
Planetary Defense Center.

They're not orbital facilities, they're planetside installations. They're more akin to the NORAD complex. You need to manufacture prefab parts using your planetary industry (the design will tell you how many you need per PDC), transport them to the system body you want to build it on, and then use either (staffed) construction factories or construction brigades (supplied with the listed necessary minerals) to assemble them.

Consarned ninjas.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cockyy

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels task: Interrupted by Vomit
    • View Profile
    • You're mother.
« Reply #12676 on: December 05, 2012, 11:10:16 am »

So a Jump Point Defense Base is effectively a waste of time? PDC's don't seem to need maintanence though. My PDC's around Earth are up to a 60000% annual break rate but never have had maintenance problems.

The wiki says I have to transport the prefab parts via cargo ships but I don't even have the option to pick them up from Earth.
Planetary Defense Center.

I know, I know. But I figured a jump point defense base would be the same sort of structure as a PDC so I set it as PDC in the ship designer. Though I had assumed PDC's were both planetside AND orbital, as their default assignment is listed as "PDC Fleet".

EDIT: Also I'm aware how to prefab PDC's. I have 40 sections for the one I'm trying to build and only need 5 per PDC. Yet, I don't have an option to pick up prefab PDC components. Only the usual "Load infrastructure, Load Automated Mines, Load Minerals" :C

FURTHER EDIT: Just had an idea. Probably a "derp" moment but can I drop buoys with active sensors at jump points to keep an eye on them instead?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:18:24 am by Cockyy »
There was a signature here. Now it's gone.

;__;

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12677 on: December 05, 2012, 11:38:53 am »

If its right on top of the jump point, you don't even need active sensors, thermals will work, unless you want to know tonnage.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12678 on: December 05, 2012, 01:05:58 pm »

Yeah, the new mechanics for buoys give them functionally unlimited duration, so you can seed them pretty much everywhere. If you use active sensors, you can also make minefields.

3. Run Resize Enable

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12679 on: December 05, 2012, 05:02:26 pm »

Yeah, the new mechanics for buoys give them functionally unlimited duration, so you can seed them pretty much everywhere. If you use active sensors, you can also make minefields.

Can mines/missiles get a lock with only passive sensors? I know ships need active sensors to get a target, but discussion on the official forum seems to imply that a missile with a thermal sensor will still target any ship it can detect.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12680 on: December 05, 2012, 05:53:16 pm »

Can mines/missiles get a lock with only passive sensors? I know ships need active sensors to get a target, but discussion on the official forum seems to imply that a missile with a thermal sensor will still target any ship it can detect.

I seem to recall that being true, though IIRC you'll get better range with active sensors, which in turn makes for more effective mines.

3. Run Resize Enable

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12681 on: December 05, 2012, 07:28:15 pm »

There is such thing as effective mines? As far as I remember a single detected ships will eat whole minefield even if it would be destroyed thousand times.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12682 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:06 pm »

Is there any way to increase the intended deployment time?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12683 on: December 05, 2012, 09:43:31 pm »

Intended deployment time is a number that you set. Just type in a larger one and the game will automatically add more crew quarters.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12684 on: December 05, 2012, 11:09:08 pm »

There is such thing as effective mines? As far as I remember a single detected ships will eat whole minefield even if it would be destroyed thousand times.

If you've got sensors on the submunitions, yes. Also, spreading the mines across a few hundred kilometers of space.

3. Run Resize Enable

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12685 on: December 06, 2012, 01:39:35 am »

If you've got sensors on the submunitions, yes. Also, spreading the mines across a few hundred kilometers of space.

What's the smallest you can make the range on a thermal/em sensor? Assuming they're detecting the smallest invader vessel? You could probabl gain at the very least some proximity discretion by intentionally crippling the mine's sensors, but with a long range sensor on the launched missiles to ensure they can engage whatever they need to.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12686 on: December 06, 2012, 01:43:27 am »

What's the smallest you can make the range on a thermal/em sensor? Assuming they're detecting the smallest invader vessel? You could probabl gain at the very least some proximity discretion by intentionally crippling the mine's sensors, but with a long range sensor on the launched missiles to ensure they can engage whatever they need to.

1,000 km. Though that's nearly useless for mines.

3. Run Resize Enable

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12687 on: December 06, 2012, 02:08:34 am »

That's fine though; it means you have granularity in size! Thus you can design your mines so that, for your desired spacing around an area, only a single mine will trigger on the smallest vessels. Large vessels (which are the ones most likely to need multiple wallops) would have larger sensor cross-sections, and thus trigger mines from further away. Just make sure the launched missiles have sufficient sensor range to acquire the more distant targets...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12688 on: December 06, 2012, 04:39:21 am »

If you give your mines EM sensors, will they only go off when jump sickness ends and active sensors come up? Because if so, it seems like they would combo well as jump point defense with a small picket fleet; if it's just a scout ship, the picket fleet should be able to deal with it before the mines trigger, but if it's an assault fleet the mines will go off as soon as their sensors come up.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12689 on: December 06, 2012, 06:33:31 am »

Is it possible to build orbital box missile platforms?

Basically just a stack of box launchers held together with superglue and duct tape, and controlled by a single fire control. Fires a barrage of small missiles, then gets rearmed in a small carrier later.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 ... 844 845 [846] 847 848 ... 1346