Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2709374 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #12795 on: December 16, 2012, 04:13:39 pm »

Activating the Invaders probably wasn't a good idea.  And they will slow your game down.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12796 on: December 16, 2012, 04:17:01 pm »

And they will slow your game down.

This could be a problem on my 1.8 ghtz laptop...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12797 on: December 16, 2012, 05:02:19 pm »

50 NPRs was also a bad idea. Also by slow down the game he means the five second turn loop of doom.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #12798 on: December 16, 2012, 05:11:18 pm »

Yeah. No matter how many size 100 Death mines you lay, the five second loop is what kills you.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12799 on: December 16, 2012, 05:34:33 pm »

Yeah. No matter how many size 100 Death mines you lay, the five second loop is what kills you.

Let me guess: they use time travel to spawn an infinite number of ships.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12800 on: December 16, 2012, 05:45:57 pm »

No, it's the fact that a game that is designed to move at incredulous speeds, (days/weeks/month at a time,) Is only going in 5 seconds.

Try doing a 3 year research project with the game moving at 5 second intervals. It will take YOU a year.
I need to put something interesting here.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #12801 on: December 16, 2012, 05:48:20 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised. What it means though, is something analogous to FPS death in DF - the game runs so slowly it becomes unplayable.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12802 on: December 16, 2012, 05:51:32 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised. What it means though, is something analogous to FPS death in DF - the game runs so slowly it becomes unplayable.

So, near unlimited number of ships.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12803 on: December 16, 2012, 06:29:34 pm »

So, near unlimited number of ships.

No, as far as I know the NPRs follow more or less the same rules as you. But as Gamerboy4life mentioned, the average combat interval is 5 seconds, and the average playable interval is in the orders of days. Oh, and the game automatically goes down to the lowest time interval, so with 50 NPRs eventually every interval is going to be 5 seconds. It's not the same as FPS death in Dwarf Fortress, but yeah, it's analogous.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12804 on: December 16, 2012, 09:49:53 pm »

The slowdown is because the game processes combat for all factions even when you can't see them. Two NPRs, Swarm, and Precursors can give you months of 5-second turns at a time; 50 NPRs will probably be unplayable.

Also note that starting NPR population, industry, fleet size, homeworld minerals, etc. are determined by the difficulty modifier. It's far better to play with 2-3 1000% difficulty NPRs than 20-30 100% difficulty ones.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12805 on: December 17, 2012, 09:57:34 am »

Admittedly, a 50 NPR + all special happy fun races game would be freakin' awesome...on a supercomputer.

Lately I've been attempting a number of "Find Earth and enslave it" SM games. Generate Sol, then start genning systems until I get a nice one (usually a named star) some distance out from Earth, then use a general knowledge of astronomy to find my way to Earth. S'been fun, though maddening at times.

My current one, the Ataraxi Dominion (a tyrannical race of methane-breathers from Fomalhaut) is spreading across its sector of space, but I still haven't managed to get closer than 16LY to Earth (Altair). I know which "arm" of my explorations is headed in generally the right direction, but the peripheral jumproutes all seem to head away from Earth. And Altair's at the edge of my fuel range for my explorer ships, enough so that I can only grav survey half the system -- the other half takes too much fuel to reach. Gonna have to lay in some refueling stations along the jumproute.

Still haven't come across any NPR's (I started with 0 random NPR's and hand-generated one human NPR on Earth to start), just Precursors and space bees.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12806 on: December 17, 2012, 11:44:38 am »

50 NPR would be quite tolerable if you restrict total systems to 100. There will of course be a lot of fighting in the beginning but overall not more than 25* times what you usually experience from 1 NPR. And after the dust settles there will be no exponential exploration phase and the lag will be less and less** as time goes by.

Invaders are ridiculously overpowered and will roll over all NPRs if you generated them with less than TL7 (or even TL8) but that problem would be not much less without all those NPRs and mostly empty systems your exploration normally finds (and generates that same moment) instead.

*Assuming most fights are 1 x 1 and AFAIK sensor checks are only performed for all sides that have a presence in a system. A factor of 50*49/2 would be here otherwise.

**May still be at least as high as most people experience at later stages of their long campaigns.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12807 on: December 17, 2012, 12:56:02 pm »

50 NPR would be quite tolerable if you restrict total systems to 100. There will of course be a lot of fighting in the beginning but overall not more than 25* times what you usually experience from 1 NPR. And after the dust settles there will be no exponential exploration phase and the lag will be less and less** as time goes by.

Invaders are ridiculously overpowered and will roll over all NPRs if you generated them with less than TL7 (or even TL8) but that problem would be not much less without all those NPRs and mostly empty systems your exploration normally finds (and generates that same moment) instead.

*Assuming most fights are 1 x 1 and AFAIK sensor checks are only performed for all sides that have a presence in a system. A factor of 50*49/2 would be here otherwise.

**May still be at least as high as most people experience at later stages of their long campaigns.

Hmmm.  Might regen and try that.  I'll post the results later.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12808 on: December 17, 2012, 02:40:26 pm »

So, basically you're left with 5 or 6 really powerful NPRs and a metric shitload of ruined colonies. Unfortunately, last time I checked Invaders and Swarm can kill a game, because they trigger 5 second sensor checks, but they won't try to kill each other. I've had to use designer mode to take them over and have them duke it out. A large swarm can be surprisingly effective against a small-to-medium Invader warship.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12809 on: December 17, 2012, 02:55:43 pm »

Yep. If you have a game with Invaders, it will die. No exceptions.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1346