Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 925 926 [927] 928 929 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2672876 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13890 on: August 29, 2013, 11:25:45 am »

If you expect/want a lot of roleplay I would go for one year. Otherwise two and maybe even five in the early game.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13891 on: August 29, 2013, 01:57:50 pm »

Although, given Aurora's research system, you could just tell them "Okay, you're going to generate around 40000 RP this year, what do you want to research with that?".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13892 on: August 29, 2013, 05:55:25 pm »

Although, given Aurora's research system, you could just tell them "Okay, you're going to generate around 40000 RP this year, what do you want to research with that?".
Or they can make a queue that would take more than an year to research. By the end of the year then they can review the queue, check what was researched and what was not. Also good to deal with scientists and the like.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13893 on: September 02, 2013, 12:46:53 pm »

>Research tab
>Bottom center, set of four buttons.
>Switch from Available to Completed (ex Start)
>Select tech
>Click "Remove" button

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13894 on: September 02, 2013, 01:19:47 pm »

Of course.  :)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13895 on: September 04, 2013, 06:06:48 pm »

Hey, just here to shamelessly promote my Aurora thing. Put your fleet designing skills to the test! Sky Marshal My Name is Immaterial awaits your challenge. Do you really want to just let him rule you unopposed?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Lengry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13896 on: September 15, 2013, 06:15:51 am »

I just started trying it out and while playing conventional empire I get 3021 errors after 3 days of in-game time.
I did read that people have it with missile bases if their decimal symbol is , but I have my set to . so I'm clueless, anyone know why might I get this error?
Also it messes up my interface elements (browser etc.)...

Fixed
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:31:07 pm by Lengry »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13897 on: September 25, 2013, 01:08:53 am »

No promises yet, but I might just be getting into this.
How do I attach the asteroid mining module to my ships? i have researched the tech but i can't see it in designs.
Found it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:26:09 am by Edmus »

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13898 on: September 29, 2013, 08:19:35 am »

Started playing Aurora a week ago, I like it :D
What I like the most is ground combat, I would train a huge amount of Marine companies/battalions and then throw combat drop them one by one on hostile planets to see what happens to their morale, some stood out exceptionally, especially since I only ever throw them in one at a time until the first is either destroyed or gain my respect and get loaded back on the Transport ship to throw someone else into the fight and see what happens.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13899 on: September 29, 2013, 10:27:04 am »

So I've restarted a mass exodus across the stars/BSG 12 colonies type game.
These things never last long but it's always fun to design the ships. This time around I've gone for 12 motherships, each named after one of the zodiacal constellations, 787,000 tons with a few extra tech levels of engine research(otherwise the fuel requirements would be absurd), each ship varying slightly from this basic design:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The fuel harvesters give some flexability, each ship can collect enough sorium in one year to allow 2 billion kilometers of travel. Full refuelling however would take 20 years, there will however be other logistical ships to help out. The variances will include one ship modified with recreational facilities, one with an orbital habitat(which is basically useless but it's for rp reasons) one with troop transports and construction brigades, and one with extra engines to haul a shipyard, I'll also cart around a research center divided amongst 2 ships, which should require the million population those ships can carry, plus 500,000 of the 750,000 tons cargo capacity, and also half the 200 infrastructure needed to put those million onto a cost 2 world.
The basic idea here will be to start the fleet in a random system which has a single jump point and nothing useful, but at least one asteroid for logistical reasons, the goal will be to find sol (i don't know if it will ever be randomly generated, since i deleted it at the start of the game, but at some point i may merely SM it in, perhaps after all the local systems have been found).
The rest of the fleet will contain a pair of 100,000 ton carriers, and a few much smaller military and commercial support craft. there will also be a shipyard being towed by one of the Titans.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13900 on: September 29, 2013, 10:43:34 am »

Easier to not delete original Sol, just make a new system and start there.  Delete the original earthling empire, and boom.

Good luck!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13901 on: September 30, 2013, 01:24:31 am »

As a completely random aside:

I'm occasionally visited by extreme frustration that Aurora 6.3 feels like it's close to coming out, but is stuck in development hell. Steve started a campaign using the 6.3 ruleset, but that petered out two months ago, and he hasn't posted since. I know that he works on Aurora when he has the time and feels like it, but the fact that 6.3 is nearly done has been keeping me holding off from playing Aurora at all.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13902 on: September 30, 2013, 06:22:34 pm »

Why? It's fine to play the old version. There's people with campaigns they still play from, like, 5.0 and such.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13903 on: September 30, 2013, 07:50:47 pm »

Besides, when the new version comes out there's inevitably going to be all sorts of bugs that will have to be fixed in minor releases in the weeks afterwards.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13904 on: September 30, 2013, 09:53:55 pm »

The cargo capacity of even 12 of these is sorely lacking compared to what you normally start with, however looking at the thermal emissions of even these 6% engines made me not willing to risk making them any bigger, also when that level of jump engine tech offered me 787 I figured it was destiny,  the high tech shiny 787 'dreamliner' of the future reduced to giant mobile slum transporting whatever semblance of human society and ingenuity could be hastily shoved inside it during the mad dash from the colonies.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 925 926 [927] 928 929 ... 1346